Fluey Cold causing increased BG readings?

MrTickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been monitoring fasting BG as well as pre-and-post meal BG for the last month and a half. Am on a LCHF diet.

Started with fasting BG around 7-ish, within a week was <6 and for the best part of a month I have had mostly numbers <5 with the odd mid-5's along the way.

Started getting a cold last Thursday and had flu-like symptoms over the weekend (fatigue, aching muscles, temp etc)... fasting BG stayed fairly stable across the weekend but today - still feel fairly rotten - my fasting BG is 6.1 - the first time it's been that high since I started monitoring.

I take it that any kind of infection can raise BG levels, but my question is - would I expect to see this number rise further as I recover from the illness, and how long do they generally stay elevated before returning to normal?

Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had a cold and experienced some very odd FBGs
Just as I started to come down with it I had a 6.6 FBG (I'm nearly always in the 5's)
It hovered around 6 0.3 either way for the week I had it then just as I was getting better had a 6.7.
Since then back into the 5's again.

MrTickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I suppose it is better for it to be a little higher from a lower baseline than if I wasn't low-carb'ing :)

Talking of which, my cold is the first time I have really felt cravings for carbs. I'm not sure if it's just psychological because traditionally when it comes to diet all bets are off when poorly, and you tend to reach for sweet stuff.

Resisted all bar a green-and-blacks miniature (7g carbs) so far.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

MrTickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a follow on question which is related to this cold I have had.

Basically, had the fluey cold for nearly a week, the flu part of it subsided and it left me with the cold part. My concern is that this is different from every cold I've had in the past. My nose is constantly runny and producing thick mucus, and this is also going on my chest (which I am coughing up)...I've had this in previous colds but nothing like the quantity of mucus or length of time it's been going on.

Now, I understand the theory that being on LCHF may help boost your immune system, however my concern is if you DO get a bad cold, could the diet possibly worsen things? I ask because the key advice for reducing mucus - aside from drinking water - is to avoid foods like dairy, eggs and meat which all all supposedly known to contribute towards mucus production, and all of course are staple parts of a LCHF diet (well the eggs and meat part at least).

It's not helped either by people I know, who know I'm doing LCHF, suggesting that maybe this is a downside to the diet and advising me to ease off it for a few days.

It may just be a particular nasty strain of cold virus, and I just have to tough it out but I did wonder if anyone experienced anything similar and if there are any adjustments that could be made to the diet which could help.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a follow on question which is related to this cold I have had.

Basically, had the fluey cold for nearly a week, the flu part of it subsided and it left me with the cold part. My concern is that this is different from every cold I've had in the past. My nose is constantly runny and producing thick mucus, and this is also going on my chest (which I am coughing up)...I've had this in previous colds but nothing like the quantity of mucus or length of time it's been going on.

Now, I understand the theory that being on LCHF may help boost your immune system, however my concern is if you DO get a bad cold, could the diet possibly worsen things? I ask because the key advice for reducing mucus - aside from drinking water - is to avoid foods like dairy, eggs and meat which all all supposedly known to contribute towards mucus production, and all of course are staple parts of a LCHF diet (well the eggs and meat part at least).

It's not helped either by people I know, who know I'm doing LCHF, suggesting that maybe this is a downside to the diet and advising me to ease off it for a few days.

It may just be a particular nasty strain of cold virus, and I just have to tough it out but I did wonder if anyone experienced anything similar and if there are any adjustments that could be made to the diet which could help.
I know that dairy is supposed to promote mucous production but eggs and meat? Never heard of that.
Personally I'd stick with my diet as a week of thick snot is far preferable to the possible effects of higher sugars on top of higher sugars anyway because you were ill. Maybe cut down on the dairy and have more bacon because bacon always makes you feel better...