Thank You. Reversed Type 2 in Two Months

Mottsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic, It’s hard on a low low carb. I would love to know what your diet was.
Basically I cut out bread, potatoes, rice etc.
Cut out most root veg.
Mainly had meat with salads, celeriac or butternut squash instead.
My little treat was homemade trifle. Sugar free raspberry jelly, Lidl sugar free custard and real cream with some 85% chocolate grated on top. Found some small plastic pots ànd made up 5 at a time, they lasted me a week.
For nibbles it was small packets of pork scratchings. Again no more than one a day and not every day.
Most days I missed either breakfast or lunch.
If i had breakfast it was eggs, sausage(high meat low carb ones) and bacon with mushrooms. Lunch was normally a small salad with some meat or I found Tesco finest Scotch Eggs were quite low carb.
Can't say I felt particularly hungry at any time.
Evening meals I liked the best were home made tandoori chicken with homemade vegetable curry. Again no root veg, celeriac, squash, courgette, egg plant, cauliflower, tomatoes etc.
Best substitute for potatoes was celeriac and cauliflower mash. I like that better than potatoe mash. Just boil equal parts celeriac and cauliflower. Add loads of butter and stick a hand blender in it. Lovely.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Well done bud . I’m recently diagnosed as well on 27 feb HA1BCof 48 so borderline . Started testing 27 March . My average is 5.8 . And I’m hoping I will get a better reading next time . . You’ve done really well and I hope I will be having the same results as you pretty soon

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank You.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 on 23 January this year. (Blood sample taken on 6 January). My HbA1C was 57 and I was prescribed Metformin 500mg twice a day.

I felt my surgery were more of a hindrance than a help and could not get an appointment to see the doctor to discuss the results. (My only other post was a rant about that!)

So feeling overwhelmed by it all and needing help, I looked to the internet and found this wonderful site.

I read everything I could to try and understand this disease and immediately started a low carb diet. (Very low carb).

I started to test my blood and within 4 days my blood tests were below 7 and so far have never gone any higher. Most being high 4’s to mid 5’s with the very occasional low 6 from the “Morning Phenomenon”.

Weight started to fall off me, 2.5 stone so far and hoping to continue.

I changed my GP Surgery and on 15 February the new surgery’s nurse was taking blood to get another sample tested.

I just got back from getting the results. My HbA1c level is 39!

The Diabetic nurse is extremely pleased and explained that my Diabetes is reversed but I still have Diabetes and will always have it. (Just as I learnt from this site).

We discussed whether I should come off Metformin, (I decided stay on it for now), and she is happy to see in me in a year for another blood test. (She said if my own blood tests should start to go up them give the surgery a call).

So a very big THANK YOU to everyone.

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Basically I cut out bread, potatoes, rice etc.
Cut out most root veg.
Mainly had meat with salads, celeriac or butternut squash instead.
My little treat was homemade trifle. Sugar free raspberry jelly, Lidl sugar free custard and real cream with some 85% chocolate grated on top. Found some small plastic pots ànd made up 5 at a time, they lasted me a week.
For nibbles it was small packets of pork scratchings. Again no more than one a day and not every day.
Most days I missed either breakfast or lunch.
If i had breakfast it was eggs, sausage(high meat low carb ones) and bacon with mushrooms. Lunch was normally a small salad with some meat or I found Tesco finest Scotch Eggs were quite low carb.
Can't say I felt particularly hungry at any time.
Evening meals I liked the best were home made tandoori chicken with homemade vegetable curry. Again no root veg, celeriac, squash, courgette, egg plant, cauliflower, tomatoes etc.
Best substitute for potatoes was celeriac and cauliflower mash. I like that better than potatoe mash. Just boil equal parts celeriac and cauliflower. Add loads of butter and stick a hand blender in it. Lovely.
Good for you. What an amazing achievement. You should give yourself a treat [not a carb or sugar one!] It gives me hope that I can summon up the motivation to go low carb soon. As it is I'm just getting rolier and polier. BMI 37 at the last count.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant, just had similar but not that good.

Was put in hospital on 17th Jan with a blood sugar of 27 and hba1c of 104.

Had my bloods last week and went in for my results today.

Hba1c was 62 but they said it will lower further as the 3 month window wasn't off.

Lost 1st 9lbs in that time and they've taken me off the met form in completely.

Properly pleased for you as I know how good it feels

That itself is impressive progress.

You may not be aware, but no blockbuster T2D pills gives that kind of results.

Kamalsrana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank You.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 on 23 January this year. (Blood sample taken on 6 January). My HbA1C was 57 and I was prescribed Metformin 500mg twice a day.

I felt my surgery were more of a hindrance than a help and could not get an appointment to see the doctor to discuss the results. (My only other post was a rant about that!)

So feeling overwhelmed by it all and needing help, I looked to the internet and found this wonderful site.

I read everything I could to try and understand this disease and immediately started a low carb diet. (Very low carb).

I started to test my blood and within 4 days my blood tests were below 7 and so far have never gone any higher. Most being high 4’s to mid 5’s with the very occasional low 6 from the “Morning Phenomenon”.

I changed my GP Surgery and on 15 February the new surgery’s nurse was taking blood to get another sample tested.

The Diabetic nurse is extremely pleased and explained that my Diabetes is reversed but I still have Diabetes and will always have it. (Just as I learnt from this site).

We discussed whether I should come off Metformin, (I decided stay on it for now), and she is happy to see in me in a year for another blood test. (She said if my own blood tests should start to go up them give the surgery a call).

Wow
That’s really impressive, so what did you do exactly? Just Low carb diet or did you excercise cardio etc..?

McNicky100

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank You.

McNicky100

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow
That’s really impressive, so what did you do exactly? Just Low carb diet or did you excercise cardio etc..?
Thank You.

Congratulations

Mottsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow
Mainly just low carb. I started out walking more but the past few weeks the weather has been awful and I've had lots of work.
Hoping the weather will buck up so I can walk more. Little things like walking to the shops instead of driving etc.

zuckerhonig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank You.

Excellent result!

You have definitely taken the proactive approach. You are quite right to have gone straight out, as I did, to gain an understanding of your condition as quickly as possible.

I was diagnosed last year in June, declined the offer of multiple med to, er, 'manage' my condition. I too agreed, initially, to take metformin, but couldn't get along with it, so discontinued using it after a couple of months. As stated in a previous post, it made absolutely no difference to my BG or A1c results.

Ten months down the line my A1c has gone from an initial 110 to 46 after 13 weeks, and 40 a couple of weeks.ago. I too, adopted the LCHF lifestyle, along with exercise some supplements and, since October last year, intermittent fasting 5 days a week for 16 hours.

I cannot complain about my health centre, or, indeed, the very busy diabetic nurse who was extremely supportive. However, doctors and nurses are not nutritionists, and, as such, cannot really offer much in the way of practical advice regarding a diet and lifestyle best suited to overcoming T2D.

Whilst you don't go into detail, it sounds as though you've gone for a more natural approach to eliminating the poison in your system, rather than adding more.

I would have to agree with the other member regarding the next test in 12 months. That is really too long to wait. What about your eyes? Your feet? Be careful that you're not kicked into the long grass just because you are looking after yourself! Again, this is not a criticism of the NHS staff. With limited resources at their disposal, they are obliged to focus on individuals less capable of making the necessary changes in diet and lifestyle in order to avoid a lifetime of drug dependency and the ugly complications that follow.

Ruby2shoes

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank You.

Thats such fantastic news well done. Excuse my ignorance I’m new here but when you said that your diabetes is reversed but you will still always have it can you please explain? I thought if you reverse it that would be it? And therefore what does always have it mean in terms of the impact.

sue4les

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who eat chocolate in front of me. Boo Hoo
Thank You.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Mottsy fantastic result.
:) :) :)

Metformin may support weight loss so please keep this in mind when you're ready to go meds free.

Many stick with metformin due to its benefits.
Ive been lucky to be one of them. Twice (2 pregnancies only due to metformin).
A fantastic aid to longevity.

Mottsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats such fantastic news well done. Excuse my ignorance I’m new here but when you said that your diabetes is reversed but you will still always have it can you please explain? I thought if you reverse it that would be it? And therefore what does always have it mean in terms of the impact.
The easiest way to explain it, (I'm no expert so please someone feel free to correct me).

My body can no longer process sugar correctly. If you don't have diabetes you could sit and eat Mars bars all day and your body will deal with the sugar so that your blood sugar levels remain normal.

A diabetics body can't do that and we have to watch what we eat. Through diet and some exercise my levels are now in the "Normal" range. So my diabetes has been reversed. HOWEVER, my body still can not process sugar correctly, so if I don't keep to my diet my blood sugar levels will rise back to diabetic levels.

Mottsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mottsy fantastic result.
:) :) :)

Metformin may support weight loss so please keep this in mind when you're ready to go meds free.

Many stick with metformin due to its benefits.
Ive been lucky to be one of them. Twice (2 pregnancies only due to metformin).
A fantastic aid to longevity.
Two pregnancies only down to Metformin .
I assume I'm safe being a bloke?

Ruby2shoes

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The easiest way to explain it, (I'm no expert so please someone feel free to correct me).

My body can no longer process sugar correctly. If you don't have diabetes you could sit and eat Mars bars all day and your body will deal with the sugar so that your blood sugar levels remain normal.

A diabetics body can't do that and we have to watch what we eat. Through diet and some exercise my levels are now in the "Normal" range. So my diabetes has been reversed. HOWEVER, my body still can not process sugar correctly, so if I don't keep to my diet my blood sugar levels will rise back to diabetic levels.
Ah I that makes sense thank you! Good luck with your journey.

Diligent500

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I dislike being diabetic and two heavy I am 80kg and want to get down to 50 kg very soon.
Hi to you,

Absolutley fantastic I am doing the same low carb and I've lost weight this week I am really happy finally found a solution.

Fantastic.

Diligent500

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is some difficultly in finding the correct description for type twos who have normal results just from eating low carb - I favour 'member of the Smug Club' myself.
Yes, we will always have had diabetes, could well be considered to always be diabetic, but it would not be detectable using the usual tests of blood glucose or Hba1c.