Mhmmm? Interesting

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Matt.
You are not annoying me at all. It is just so frustrating trying to get the message over by text. It is obvious that there are things you still haven't got into your head. I know that if you were sat in front of me I could explain and demonstrate easily what you need to know. So, frustrating....not annoying.

This is just some basics, not being patronising, just attempting to keep it plain and simple in the hope that you can move forward and not keep going over the same ground as we have. Have a read.

The first thing you need to be clear about is that as a newly diagnosed Type 1 you could be in your 'honeymoon' period when your Pancreas may produce more Insulin at times and at other times may produce little or none, it will vary so nothing is always the same.

In an attempt to give a level playing field you would inject your Basal Insulin to try and keep your Bg levels fairly constant throughout the day with just a few rises and falls over the day/night.

The 'spanner in the works' is that you need to eat........so what you eat will have an effect on that Basal level you try to maintain. To cover that effect and try and keep the levels all within any target numbers you have you need to inject a suitable amount of Insulin (Bolus) to match the carbohydrates that you eat or plan to eat. The Insulin to Carb ratio that people have mentioned. Most start around 1 : 10 but it varies with every individual and also at various times of the day for some. This is where the trial and error comes in.

Total carbs are what you need to take note of........sugars are already included in that number. If you only think sugars you are seriously underestimating your carb amounts at meals, not a good idea.

You appear to be still wanting to eat high carbohydrate foods.......now we have all told you that the carbs are what will increase your BG levels, sometimes drastically if enough are eaten. By only injecting a set amount of Insulin this MAY or MAY NOT be enough to keep the levels within target.

Too much Insulin means you could end up with very low levels after food........hypos.
Too little Insulin or too many carbs could end up with high Bg levels......hypers.

There are those that eat anything and just cover it with the Insulin......if that is what they want that's fine......but you still have to know what amount of Insulin and what amount of carbs unless you want to inject excess Insulin and end up putting on weight !

As you can see it's a delicate balancing act.......get those things right and you are well on the way to being a well controlled T1 Diabetic. A 'heads up' before you do the DAFNE course where you will get more individual attention and practical experience.

Best of luck with that.....I want to see you back here after that passing on YOUR knowledge for the benefit of others.

In the meantime, keep asking if things aren't clear........I'm hoping that more T1's will help you in understanding things as well. To see if we can get more input from fellow T1's I shall move this into the T1 area leaving a 'shadow topic' behind, that way it is effectively in 2 areas at once.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
there are LOADS of delicious things which are low in carbs.
examples
meats, fish, eggs, cheese, TVP products like Quorn
ALL leafy green veggies/salads, cauliflower, broccoli, Celeriac, swede/turnip. Most roots have some starch, but an be handled iff you watch your portions.
most fruits have a fair bit of sugar, so eat with care. Berries tend to be lower in carbs.
note
tomatoes and peppers are fruits. so are cucumbers, but they are low in carbs. Again watch the portions.
Essentially anything sweet is carby as is anything starchy like bread potatoes, any grain based food, baked goods.
Pulses are quite high in carbs.
Your nurse is right. you CAN eat anything, but need to watch how much.
Nuts are a useful snack
Natural fats tend not to be an issue for diabetics.
thus, if I make a dessert for guests, I include mini meringues[low carb by virtue of lightness 50% of not much is even less :lol: ], cream and a few berries.
The secret of good blood glucose control is "Learn to cook!"

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Matt - you seem to be confusing some unit names - blood glucose (in the UK) is measured in mmol/l; insulin is measured in "units". Many posters confuse matters by not stating any units or even stating clearly what is being measured.

When health care proefessionals say just eat normally, they mean there is no need to change from a normal healthy diet. The only extra part with type 1 diabetes is balancing insulin in to carbohydrate in, taking account of other factors such as exercise, stress, weather temperature, infections etc. However, some people with diabetes prefer to restrict their carbohydrate intake. Personally, I don't, but occasionally have a meal for which I don't need insulin eg omelette. Actually, due to partner buying 12 reduced price eggs, being given 8 eggs from boss's hens and partner leaving to work overseas for 5 weeks, I'm eating lots of omelettes at present!

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
I won't be altering my carbohydrate intake, I just need to find the right balance with insulin, exercise side I keep very active, working, portering, sports course at uni, gym and football 2-3 times a week, I think the carbo counting course next month is going to play a major role and I am looking forward to learning and finding the correct balance :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
theres lots u can eat matt, theres a collins gem carb counter book, its only a couple of quid n very good, i eat more since carb counting and weigh a lot less :D

unicorn

Have you tried looking at the resource section on the www.bdec-e-learning .com site? There some really good info on there that might tide you over until DAFNE turns up to educate you! Also a good book is carbs and calories (I think it is called) I got it on Amazon - lots of lovely pictures with numbers attached to help you.