Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take 1-2 multivitamin pills The days I remember taking them and vitamin D 35 mcg and reservatol 2 x 200 mg ( some claim they lessens insulin resistance )

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Vitamins D3, K2 and B complex and omega fish oils
RALA - a recent addition but not sure will carry on when finished as it’s expensive and not noticed an impact on me. Others do have an impact on my health I feel
Edit forgot to add magnesium as take as Epsom salts in foot baths seems to help prevent cramps as have them when don’t do the foot bath,
Also have reasonable amount of salt for potassium.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take the following daily capsules with my doctor’s permission:

L-Carnosine with Alpha Lipoic Acid
Cinnamon 500 mg
Pomegranate 1000 mg
Vitamin B Complex
Black Cumin Seeds (Nigella Sativa)
Karela 500 mg (Bitter Melon)
Ester C
Could you do a breakdown of them and say why you take them and what each one is supposed to do

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1 high strength cod-liver-oil capsule for my joints
1 Macushield capsule for my macular degeneration

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Vit D (in olive oil) and omega 3 as the both help reduce inslin restiance.

Vit B blood test is being done in a few weeks due to being on metformin.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm currently on:

*Vit D3 and K2
*Vit C (naturally sourced, not lab created)
B12
R-Lipoic Acid
Krill Oil
*Magnesium
*Potassium

The *s indicate the ones that make an obvious difference to my health, and I will probably continue for life.
The non stars are taken 'on faith' as a good idea, and I may stop in future if my assessment of the available info changes.

Reactions: dbr10

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take:
  • Vitamin K2 (for absorption of the vitamin d, below)
  • Vitamin D3 (because I never see the sun, and I've had a melenoma removed so if I do I'm covered in SPF 30)
  • Triple magnesium complex (because I really quite badly injured my piriformis a couple of years ago and the sport masseuse recommended magnesium for muscle recovery and I run/bootcamp a decent amount so I want my muscles to repair)
  • Vitamin B1 (because my biggest fear is dialysis so if I can take something to protect my kidney function, I'm gonna)

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a cupboard full of supplements and vitamins !
Personally I take turmeric daily for it's anti inflammatory effects, Vit C, Zinc and Echinacea if I feel a cold coming on in the winter months.
Hubby takes Basil, Cinnamon, a Multi-Vit, Milk Thistle, Carnosine and has in the past taken Alpha-Lipoic R.

Oh and we both take Vit D3 in the winter.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
After having blood and other tests which highlighted certain deficiencies and imbalances, I regularly take Vit D, Vit B12, pre and pro biotics, CoQ10 (uncertain of effectiveness).

If I take codeine based pain killers, Vit C powder (barocca works also) is good for countering the effects of codeine.

I have taken berberine and turmeric, but unsure of effectiveness.

Presently considering Amla, wondering if it's as good as they say it is.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
After having blood and other tests which highlighted certain deficiencies and imbalances, I regularly take Vit D, Vit B12, pre and pro biotics, CoQ10 (uncertain of effectiveness).

If I take codeine based pain killers, Vit C powder (barocca works also) is good for countering the effects of codeine.

I have taken berberine and turmeric, but unsure of effectiveness.

Presently considering Amla, wondering if it's as good as they say it is.

I take Amla, will let you know my results when I next have them..

Reactions: DavidGrahamJones

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I started with Cod Liver Oil capsules. This was because I didn't think I was getting enough Omega 3 and Omega 3 helps to boost HDL. No definitive proof but my cholesterol ratios improved so I wasn't getting statin propaganda.

A short while back I read on this forum that long term Metformin use can reduce your Vitamin B, and various sites suggested that you can take a lot of Thiamine with no side effect so I tried a big Thiamine dose and a Vitamin B complex. I'm not sure if it has made any difference, in fact I was wondering if some extra achyness in my muscles could be tied in with starting the B vitamins.

I then read about Turmeric being good for achy joints so I bought a twofer at H&B and have one in the morning and one at night. The muscle achyness seems a bit better but that could be just down to my body adjusting to more exercise now we have some decent weather now and then.

So he only one I am really committed to is the cod liver oil and that only because my lipid ratios improved. Which could have been coincidence.

I'll run with the rest for a few months to see if I can imagine any long term benefit.

Reactions: Freema

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit I have always been reluctant to take supplements but since being diagnosed T2 I have thrown caution to the wind :p

I figure it probably (possibly) won't do any harm. I started on the Blood sugar diet in late October 2017 so took the following supplements

Daily Fibre Capsules (6 grams)
Daily Multivitamin 50+ (Oh how I wish I was still 20 :p )

After switching to a LCHF diet I have also started taking (Not that that is the reason for taking them!!)

Daily Alpha Lipoic Acid capsule
Daily Chromium Picolinate
Daily Pro Biotic

I really do wonder whether the latter three are the result of falling for a snake oil sales pitch....but again I figure it will, at worst, maybe, hurt my wallet. :p

(I am currently reading Michael Mosley's Clever Guts books and haven't go to the bit where he will tell me that the pro biotic I am taking is rubbish!!! :p )

rfe3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take:
Cinnamon 2000mg daily
Chromium Picolinate 1000ug daily
Flaxseed Oil 2000mg daily

I'm unsure if any of them really work or not but even if they help a little it's worth it. The're not really that expensive.
I do find that if I know I'm going to eat something Carby...a bit of Rice or Pasta, I'll mix up a small glass of Apple Cider Vinegar and water to drink beforehand. I really do think it helps to reduce the spikes. I've eaten the same meal (and the same portion) with and without the Vinegar and there was a noticeable difference in the spikes. I've done this several times to try and rule out any fluke readings.