will diabetes type 2 worsen

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Oh ok not to worry.. sounds a bit "old" if you get my drift be interesting to know what "diet" they were following though.

It was quoted in the chapter on diet therapy to be used by dietitian. I will still show u tomorrow. If u can find the article on pubmed, show me please.

I found some research on using standardised milk thistle that could preserve pancreatic cells activity and survival in diabetes type 2 patients if u are interested.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was quoted in the chapter on diet therapy to be used by dietitian. I will still show u tomorrow. If u can find the article on pubmed, show me please.

I found some research on using standardised milk thistle that could preserve pancreatic cells activity and survival in diabetes type 2 patients if u are interested.
Will do thanks.. always interested to read stuff so the milk thistle one sounds intriguing thanks.

Reactions: millenium

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just wondering whether deteriorating pancreatic function as we age might be explained by the high carb diet followed by the majority of people. We know that most people's diet consist of somewhere between 50% to 60% carbs with three meals a day, intermittant snacking and fasting for only about 8 hours when they sleep -- so in this case, the pancreas is constantly forced to push out insulin. (Also, we don't know how often blood sugar levels spike in normal people, affecting the functioning of beta cells). So, given the pressure on the pancreas, is it surprising that we observe this trend. However, what happens when we change diets and give the pancreas a rest? Will we still see the pancreas deteriorate as we age?

Personally, I believe that we don't yet have enough data to see if blood glucose for diabetics will invariably worsen as time goes on. The low-carb diet has only recently become more popular as a way to control T2 diabetes. So, there are not many people, who have tried to do this for say 20 or 30 years. I am encouraged though by @caroline_92 's experience.

So, in the meantime we can only hope to do all the right things and hope pancreatic functioning will not worsen further. For me personally this means to keep blood sugar levels always below 7.8, even half an hour or one hour after eating (preferably even lower than this). Jenny Ruhl presents some convincing evidence that beta cells are negatively affected if blood sugar rises above this level.

So, keeping my fingers crossed for all of us.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say (with just common sense to back it up), that:

- yes, our bodies are going to deteriorate with time and may accumulate illnesses along the way
- there are measures we can take to resist this deterioration (diet choices, exercise, physical activity, mental agility, etc)

The old age deterioration will worsen time. That is unavoidable.
So if we intend to avoid deterioration, we will need to put more and more effort into resisting-old-age in order for the scales to stay balanced. On the understanding that it is a fight that we will all eventually lose.

We each get to decide how much effort we feel it is appropriate to invest - and what that effort involves.
For instance, I am choosing to invest in educating myself about my health, making appropriate diet choices and a Freestyle Libre, whereas someone else may choose to invest in spa breaks, hair dye and face lifts.

Reactions: millenium

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By keeping an HBA1c of 48 and below should keep things under control.

Taking daily supplements, with approval from your doctor, to help "re-generate" the beta cells in our pancreas are worth a try.

• Black Seed Oil (Nigella Sativa) capsules
  • Bitter Melon (Momordica charantia) capsules
  • Vitamin B Complex also helps relieve stress on the pancreas

Reactions: Shahnaz2357

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
After ten years only 1 out of the 4 can properly control their condition with just diet alone.

Using the 'normal healthy diet'. I use a ketogenic diet, have been T2 for 18 years, and insulin dependent for 8. Now off all fast acting insulin, and only on a very small dose of Lantus now. Fasting glucose 5.3, A1c 42 at last test. I will aim for much lower and see where that takes me.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
The only thing I will say I will do everything in my power to keep my blood sugar levels down. That is including diet and exercise and try to avoid blood sugar spikes. Currently I have been off all meds for 1/12 months and they are close to non diabetic levels. I do monitor my self very closely to catch any trends as soon as possible and make changes in my diet or exercise to correct the problem. I just want take care of myself the best way I can now to give me the longest runway to take advantage of anything coming down in the future. I just concentrate on things that I can control any enjoy any minor victories and take things a day at a time

Reactions: Oldvatr

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Will do thanks.. always interested to read stuff so the milk thistle one sounds intriguing thanks.

I found the reference. The statistic is provided by american diabetic association 1993. I took a photo of the page but it is to big to be attached here.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found the reference. The statistic is provided by american diabetic association 1993. I took a photo of the page but it is to big to be attached here.
This is what ADA is putting forth as their diet recommendations, so those statistics sound about right in light of this, It puts Eatwell in the shade.
https://www.prevention.com/health/diabetes/preventions-5-week-diabetes-diet-meal-plan

ADA have recently allowed the following corporate sponsors to display the ADA logo on their products and advertising as being diabetic friendly:
Kraft
McDonalds

See https://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/25/health/25ada.html

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
How do not mean to be argumentative, but please explain to me how a big mac order of medium fires and a coke is carb and sugar friendly? The fish sandwiches are breaded and fired in oil. The only things that come close is maybe their salads.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do not mean to be argumentative, but please explain to me how a big mac order of medium fires and a coke is carb and sugar friendly? The fish sandwiches are breaded and fired in oil. The only things that come close is maybe their salads.

Caesar salad with grilled chicken without dip is diabetic friendly.

0firefly1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
beetroot, celery, muesli, to name a few
I use the following formula to estimate my A1C:

A1C = (46.7 + average_blood_glucose) / 28.7
Hi DCB 2
A question over what time are you taking to get your average of 28.7

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Shahnaz2357

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you want to know why look up Dr Gary Fettke and his fight against the authorities in Tasmania. I would imagine that his plight has put all but the most ardent advocates of Low Carb in a state of fear for their jobs.
Google Tim Noakes' trial. He was practically hung, drawn and quartered, in South Africa for advising a lady on twitter about the advantages, of a Ketogenic way of eating. The food industry is in bed with so may health care professional bodies, they no longer know or care what and how normal human nourishment is or ought to be achieved.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi, I'm one of the newly diagnosed ones and this thread grabbed my attention because it mentions 'worsen'. Well, I'm a little scared right now as I don't really want to get my condition worse. I'm doing regular exercise and even started to eat a balanced diet. Is this enough?
Hi Stephen, i was diagnosed in May 2009 HBA1C 10.4 and post meal readings frequently in the high 20s. Been on low carb most of the time ever since and even though my weight has crept up, my HBA1C remains around the 6 (Its been as low as 5) So at 62 years of age and 9 years later, absolutely no sign of diabetic progression.

Reactions: rom35

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't have to eat the bun or the fries.. just eat the burger and cheese..you might even be able to order without the bun you certainly can in Burger King

Reactions: daisyduck

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Stephen, i was diagnosed in May 2009 HBA1C 10.4 and post meal readings frequently in the high 20s. Been on low carb most of the time ever since and even though my weight has crept up, my HBA1C remains around the 6 (Its been as low as 5) So at 62 years of age and 9 years later, absolutely no sign of diabetic progression.
I have a vey similar story too. Low carb is working for me and my weight is static at 63kg. Been on LC diet for 3 years now, and still happy with it as a way of life now. My family all share my diet since I do the cooking, and although they are not carb restricting, they no longer snack like we used to, Brilliant. My spread sheet has logged 1006 days of diet now and my daily average is currently 6,6 mmol/l with an HbA1c of 42 in the UK. Its worth a try.

Reactions: eggs11 and rom35

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just realised 28.7 is not the average sorry
Updating my findings with the formula:

If you remember I told you about a formula that estimates A1C.
A1C = (46.7 + average_blood_glucose) / 28.7
I took 5.4 A1C and compared it to my spreadsheet. I was off by 01. Looking further into it I discovered the more consistent samples the better the estimate. What I mean by consistent taking the same time every day. The more samples used the more accurate the estimate. The more data used in the calculation the more accurate the estimate.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed type2 11 years ago at 42yo. The first three years I followed my dietician’s advice and actually lost roughly 20lbs and my bg’s were always within range. I would get Hba1c readings in the normal to pre-diabetic. When I got “normal” test results back I would slack off on my diet then the next test would come back higher.

For me it was mainly a portion control issue. My plate would be covered in pasta or rice and often I would go back for seconds. I rarely got a 2hr pp reading above 8.0. What I have learned in the last year regarding low carb and IF I’d probably the reason why my numbers were relatively good.

For most of my adult life I ate high carb meals but the catch was 75% of the time I was only eating the one meal per day. Now, 11years out from diagnosis, I’m still not on any meds. Using the Hba1c calculator on this site and my 90 day average blood glucose number, my Hba1c (calculated) comes out to 5.6. Not perfect but considering I’m still only diet controlled, I can live with it.

My last Hba1c although calculated at 5.7 came back at 6.1 so never assume the calculators to be perfect. In my case due to lchf, my Dr didn’t even mention the increase in Hba1c but kept on pushing the statins which I again refused. I test 6-8x daily so I know what foods to avoid and what foods I can have occasionally without raising my bg’s too much but still limit the portion.

I haven’t had any of the complications and I’m sure if I low carb and test, I shouldn’t have to worry.

Reactions: Daphne917