high blood sugar and changes in eyesight

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Please forgive this lengthy post but am worried. I am 52 with a strong family history of diabetes. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years back and until last year was doing well with metformin. As I was advised not to test my blood by the diabetic nurse I was not aware how high my BG had become until recently when I became hyperglycaemic, and after a short and intense flurry of doctors appointments and Diabetic nurse appointments my metformin was doubled and I started on 80g Glyclazide x 3 per day, as well as starting a low carb diet (around 80mg per day). This seems to have done the trick with returning my blood sugar levels to normal (from 23.9 down to 6 before breakfast) and I am starting to feel better. However I am concerned about my eyesight. In November my prescription was altered as my distance vision was considerably worse although my near vision was only slightly less than perfect. I got vari-focals and chalked it up to my age. Since my blood sugars are now more normal (only in the last month) my distance vision is now miraculously near perfect and close-to I am as blind as a bat! My own glasses are now useless, although my husbands are better. Without his strong reading glasses I can’t read or focus on my kindle, iPad, cooking instructions on packets, music etc. My GP thinks that this may be permanent and I should wait a couple more weeks before having my eyes tested again as they may still be changing! It is so sudden I can’t help being freaked out a bit and wondered if anyone has had a similar experience and can offer advice. Again, apologies for the long post and props to anyone who has made it this far

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suffered from blurred vision - and couldn't read labels etc close-up while my blood sugars were coming down, I think it took over a month for me before they settled down, and I've read on here that this can happen. I would wait at least a few more weeks until your eye test, as you want to make sure everything's stabilised, otherwise you could end up changing prescription more than necessary.

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffered from blurred vision - and couldn't read labels etc close-up while my blood sugars were coming down, I think it took over a month for me before they settled down, and I've read on here that this can happen. I would wait at least a few more weeks until your eye test, as you want to make sure everything's stabilised, otherwise you could end up changing prescription more than necessary.
Hi eggs11, thanks for the advice. I will wait a couple more weeks before having my sight tested.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had exactly the same thing just before I was diagnosed. Blurry distance vision which settled then my close vision got worse as my sugar levels came down. Don't panic and give it a few more weeks mine all settled down pretty quickly. If it doesn't settle get your eyes rechecked in a couple of months. In the meantime Poundland do nice cheap reading glasses for a temporary fix!

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had exactly the same thing just before I was diagnosed. Blurry distance vision which settled then my close vision got worse as my sugar levels came down. Don't panic and give it a few more weeks mine all settled down pretty quickly. If it doesn't settle get your eyes rechecked in a couple of months. In the meantime Poundland do nice cheap reading glasses for a temporary fix!
Hi Lally123 your post has made me feel so much better, thankyou. I will persevere and keep fighting with hubby over his reading glasses, lol

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The medical term is transient hyperopia. It typically lasts 4-8 weeks and with a change of sight by about 1.5 dioptres at the peak although it can be much higher depending on rapidity of regaining control and how high the sugar levels were before treatment.

A permanent significant change is much rarer, although it isn't unusual for it to settle out a little different from the starting point. In my case I finished slightly less short sighted but slightly more astigmatic.

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The medical term is transient hyperopia. It typically lasts 4-6 weeks and with a change of sight by about 1.5 dioptres at the peak although it can be much higher depending on rapidity of regaining control and how high the sugar levels were before treatment.

A permanent significant change is much rarer, although it isn't unusual for it to settle out a little different from the starting point. In my case I finished slightly less short sighted but slightly more astigmatic.
Thankyou for this Jay-Marc. I wish my GP and optician had explained so clearly!

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They both ought to be aware - although the detailed mechanisms are not fully understood the condition has been known about for a long time.

Vwvonnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi iv had the same my distant eyesight has improved but can't read close up now opticians won't test my eyes until my blood sugar is controlled as it's 25-30 then down to 12 x

Reactions: mrsspenny

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi iv had the same my distant eyesight has improved but can't read close up now opticians won't test my eyes until my blood sugar is controlled as it's 25-30 then down to 12 x
I sympathise Vwvonnie, it is frustrating having to wait. On the positive side since I posted this thread my near vision has cleared a little so am encouraged it will get better. Hopefully once your blood sugars are more stable your vision will even out too. Low carb diet is making a big difference. Are you cutting carbs too?