Type 2 Confused

imperp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello. Blood glucose this morning was 8.7 nothing unusual there for me. I’m always there or there about upon waking. This morning I had bacon and fried egg yet my bg 90 mins after eating is 9.7. I’m still fairly new at this but thought a breakfast containing little or no carbs would not cause an increase? Type 2 trying to control through diet alone.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. Blood glucose this morning was 8.7 nothing unusual there for me. I’m always there or there about upon waking. This morning I had bacon and fried egg yet my bg 90 mins after eating is 9.7. I’m still fairly new at this but thought a breakfast containing little or no carbs would not cause an increase? Type 2 trying to control through diet alone.
Could just be your dawn phenomenon carried on pushing up your blood sugar after you ate?

D

Deleted Account

As @bulkbiker mentioned, could be Dawn Phenomenon.
Also, some people find their BG rises when they have meals with very low carb meals as the body will breakdown the protein into glucose.
For those of us with type 1, we have to be aware of this when calculating insulin doses.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. Blood glucose this morning was 8.7 nothing unusual there for me. I’m always there or there about upon waking. This morning I had bacon and fried egg yet my bg 90 mins after eating is 9.7
My experience: 1. with numbers over 8 the body is reacting other way than expected. You should try to bring down the starting BG under 5.7. 2. Part of protein is diggested to glucose - from 8.7 to 9.7 is 1 point rise - thus nothing bad.

If you will start with BG around 5.6, you will rise to around 6.6 and it is excellent - in the margins.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to include a small amount of carbs with my first meal in order to keep my BG levels from going up all morning and then dropping all afternoon.
A tomato or a few mushrooms along with bacon and egg is a good way to do that, and check to see what is enough and what too much for your individual requirements.

Reactions: DJC3

MikeyU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dawn phenomenon.

Protein and fat alone will slightly raise your BG level after the meal and it'll stay elevated for longer. It's called gluconeogenesis, your liver converts protein and fat into glucose but it's a slow process and your BG will stay elevated for some time, especially when insulin resistance is (still) high. Eat small amount of carbs and that will signal the liver to stop dumping.

BTW, diet alone is rarely sufficient to control T2, you need to crank up your metabolism through exercise. Lose weight, dramatically. Start small, 30 mins walks after each meal (if time allows) and as you become fitter and fitter, slowly increase the intensity and time.

Reactions: rom35

imperp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dawn phenomenon.

Protein and fat alone will slightly raise your BG level after the meal and it'll stay elevated for longer. It's called gluconeogenesis, your liver converts protein and fat into glucose but it's a slow process and your BG will stay elevated for some time, especially when insulin resistance is (still) high. Eat small amount of carbs and that will signal the liver to stop dumping.

BTW, diet alone is rarely sufficient to control T2, you need to crank up your metabolism through exercise. Lose weight, dramatically. Start small, 30 mins walks after each meal (if time allows) and as you become fitter and fitter, slowly increase the intensity and time.
Thanks for the information. When you say add a small amount of carb - do you mean like a slice of toast or something?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Dawn phenomenon.

I disagree that diet alone is rarely sufficient to control T2. In my opinion good management is 90% diet and the rest is excercise. Get diet wrong and no amount of excercise will compensate. You can't outrun a bad diet.

Reactions: rom35

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The 1 mmol rise post meal is excellent. Continue with this and you will soon see some progress.

Carbs lite, fats friendly meals plus a bit of intermittent fasting will clear out excess glucose rather effectively.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the information. When you say add a small amount of carb - do you mean like a slice of toast or something?

I disagree about adding a small amount of carbs. With a starting point of 8.7 carbs are the last thing you want. All they will do is increase that 8.7. Bacon and egg failed to stop your liver dumping, so adding carbs would just make matters worse. (In my opinion). It is obviously a liver dump (dawn phenomenon) that your own insulin is unable to deal with, very likely due to severe insulin resistance. Adding carbs is not a good plan, but making sure there is plenty of fat in the meal is ideal.

How much bacon was there, and was there only one egg? Did you have anything else such as milk in tea/coffee? What did you do after breakfast? Housework? Physical exercise in any form?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A FEW carbs, and not from grain - as that is what stops my BG rising high and then falling dramatically as my IR reduces.
Of course you need to try and test - but eating a no carb first meal causes my BG levels to oscillate significantly.

imperp

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi all - just a little update. Again woke up with an 8.5 reading but 2 hours after a mushroom omlette, 2 rashers of bacon and half a tomato my bg was 8.6. I felt really positive that this was a good result. I am finding my readings are always high in the morning but from around lunch time onwards I tend to sit around the 6.4 to 7 mark. Do you think this ok?

MikeyU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Not bad, after 2 hrs you were back to were you started from, at least it did not go up like yesterday. Half a medium sized tomato is only about 2.5g of carbs. Experiment with quantities, tomorrow eat the same breakfast but eat the whole tomato and see what happens. Also, check just before you eat lunch and see if it creeps up, stays the same or goes down.

One of the mistakes I did was to introduce too many variables at the same time so it was hard to follow what actually made the difference. Do one change at the time, one small step. Also remember that most of the time results are unpredictable, one day you eat something and get 7.0 for example, next day you eat the same thing and get 8 or 9. And just go for a walk after the meals. Keep fighting and good luck.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again woke up with an 8.5
I think, that your priority should be to bring "starting" BG under 5.7. After that you can experiment. Just my tip for priorities.

What is your BG before sleep?

MikeyU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
FBG is the hardest and last one to get under control... Not to mention that high FBG and breakfast postprandial usually sets a trend for the whole day. My liver for example does not react to protein and fat only breakfast and just happily keeps on dumping. I tried for two weeks and each day it got progressively worse and worse. Most frustrating... Small amount of carbs seems to do the trick and kicks my liver into submission. And eating early, as early as possible after waking up.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG is the hardest and last one to get under control... Not to mention that high FBG and breakfast postprandial usually sets a trend for the whole day. My liver for example does not react to protein and fat only breakfast and just happily keeps on dumping. I tried for two weeks and each day it got progressively worse and worse. Most frustrating... Small amount of carbs seems to do the trick and kicks my liver into submission. And eating early, as early as possible after waking up.

I found skipping dinner to be most helpful for bringing down FBG.

imperp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think, that your priority should be to bring "starting" BG under 5.7. After that you can experiment. Just my tip for priorities.

Usually sit around the mid 6 to 7 mark throughout the rest of the day/evening

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Where do you get this figure of 5.7 from? Is is a personal target or can you point us in the direction of studies which suggest this figure, please.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually sit around the mid 6 to 7 mark throughout the rest of the day/evening

In that case your morning levels are almost certainly liver dumps. These should improve when your insulin resistance improves. Try not to stress about them. Morning readings are often the last to come down.

Meanwhile, forget about them and concentrate on your post meal levels. Rather than look at the actual levels, look at the difference between your before eating reading and your 2 hour after reading, and do your best to keep the difference as low as you can - definitely under 2mmol/l and preferably less. Once these are sorted (with the aid of a food diary including portion sizes,) the rest should follow.

Reactions: imperp