Desmond course - 6 month follow up?

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went on the Desmond course a couple of weeks ago. They were very good in explaining how the liver and pancreas work and what happens when you have diabetes. Although they said type 2's don't need to test, they did agree that if your A1C level was on the high side, it would be a good idea to test, and to ask your GP or DN if you are able to get the strips on prescription. I'm not comfortable with the fact that they tell people it is a progressive disease and it is only a matter of time before you will have to take more medication to keep it in check. In my opinion they should be advocating to people that they should change their diet in order to keep their sugar levels under control. Unfortunately, I think they feel that people are not able to change their diet long term and therefore believe that taking and increasing medication is the only way forward. Maybe, some people are happy to do this, and I would not judge them for it, but for me, I prefer to control my diabetes, if I can, and have control over my health. I think you should go on the follow up course, you can show them your results and share with them how you have managed to keep your sugar levels normal. And, if it helps just one other person, you can be proud of yourself. Take care.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Dr. David Unwin has had great success with his approach. By asking a patient straight after diagnosis a simple question. We could treat this with drugs but would you rather try a dietary approach first and see how you get on? He says that most newly diagnosed people will opt for the change to diet and lifestyle over the prospect of pills. He then gives them an A4 sheet of paper filled with the basic info and saves the NHS thousands of pounds and more importantly he empowers his patients. More power to his elbow, I say.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Maybe take a copy of The Daibetes Code with you and ask of anyone has read it......

Or a copy of 'Diabetes Unpacked' by various authors including Fung and Noakes as well as patients stories.
A great read for a HCP as well as the lay person.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kingmob,

But the reason I would go is for the other diabetics in the group.
There has got to be others in the group who are following the advice and struggling, they might come over to you in the coffee break and ask "what's your secret?"

If by just begin there you could inspire someone else to make difference choices, that's got to be worth giving up an afternoon of your time. ;)
;)

Hi @ Kingmob I agree with @There is no Spoon

I went on a Desmond course a few weeks ago and found it frustrating. The presenters were completely unable to venture off script and my questions and comments were politely ignored. ( I wasn’t loud or aggressive, I’m far too shy for that)

However One lady was very interested in learning more and did come up to me during the break and at the end. My A1c had come down from 66 at diagnosis to 48 at the time of the course ( now in non diabetic range) so I was obviously doing something right.

She was visibly upset by her diagnosis and seemed to take heart when I talked about this forum and LCHF eating. I hope she has found her way here. If she has, or has done some more reading around then I think the day was worthwhile.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got it from Amazon a few weeks ago

The problem is that Amazon will not hold much stock unless a publisher pays them to hold stock, and the publisher takes a very long time to ship more books to Amazon when it goes out of stock, hence it is often out of stock.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is that Amazon will not hold much stock unless a publisher pays them
to hold stock, and the publisher takes a very long time to shop more books to Amazon when it goes out of stock, hence it is often out of stock.

Ah I see. I was lucky then - great book.

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went along today, wasn't as terrible as I was expecting but left me feeling glad I'd sought out information myself and found this site. Sadly was a few times where I had to bite my tongue.

Basically an informal chat lasting an hour, most of the time spent reviewing what was said on the desmond course. Some talk about progress but not a lot of detail. Wasn't the same people as the ones who presented the desmond course I attended. Some thoughts below, appreciate some of the things I mention are contentious, I don't know the answers but felt that ignoring them/not admitting that there is uncertainity was unhelpful.

The Good:
* Some talk about testing and importance of at least having regular hba1c tests/understanding results.
* About a dozen T2 people there, most seemed to have had some level of success since course.
* Talking to some people before they had done some research and they had heard of newcastle study and low carb.
* Talked about what is being done to improve things locally and some fitness related courses for people interested.
* Refresher on symptoms and what is happening in the body.
* Not at all preachy this time.

The "potentially some progress/wasn't sure about/needs to go further":
* Hypos mentioned and discussed, described as something that wouldn't happen if only on metformin (everyone). Someone mentioned feeling weak and feeling better after drinking sugary drinks, was told that shouldn't be necessary.
* Newcastle diet mentioned but not named, just that research is happening and the dreaded phrase "low calorie".
* Remission. Was positive that mentioned how control is possible but I didn't think it was clear that long term control is possible/a good goal. Mentioned returning to old habits would result in blood glucose levels rising which makes sense but felt that came across as inevitable/why fight it rather than a need for vigilance/understanding/self-awareness.

The Not so good:
* Advice seemed great if talking about general health but I didn't feel it was really diabetes focussed. Blood glucose discussed as important, exercise and blood pressure not quite equal billing but close.
* Related to above, still a huge focus lowering saturated fats. I know this can be contentious but I really felt it really distracted from the message that carbs are closely tied to blood sugar. Told to lower fat but never explained how you could lower both fat and carbs. Protein not mentioned but felt if choice was between lowing saturated fat or carbs, that the choice should fat.
* Assumption was that credit for success was down to having attending the course.
* Some terrible food advice, fruit discussed as healthy alternative and suggested to be spread through the day. One person talked about giving up cheese and doesn't eat meat. Same person later mentioned that they can feel weak after exercise (hiking) and suggestion was to eat more carbs before exercise as athletes do.
* Advice was again one size fits all. Appreciate impossible to list all the things that have worked for people but would have been great if they acknowledged that that what works for one person might not for others and/or admit that uncertainities among professionals about the best/right approach exists.
* Some discussion of how it can be easy after diagnosis to make big changes but hard to maintain them. Agree but felt that the message was to continue as before but eat "better" and exercise more with eat better meaning the eatwell plate. Didn't feel that making long lasting lifestyle choices to avoid problematic foods was made clear.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it is difficult for these courses to cater to everyone. I suppose if all the varied options were taught it would take months and end up being quite confusing.