Type 2 Help crushing pills

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try them in a spoon ful of full fat yogurt or cream cheese, some sort of thick creamy food.

if it really is a problem and you can present a very good case to your GP most drugs come in liquid form or dissolvable in the mouth for those who cannot swallow (my son has all his meds in either liquid form or ones that dissolve on the tongue - bit like the nurofen meltlets) they are very much more expensive though so you really have to have a very good case

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is avalaible in both powdered and liquid formats, although those options are more expensive than the straightforward tablets.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"Metformin 1g oral powder sachets sugar free (J M McGill Ltd)
Active ingredients Size Unit NHS indicative price Drug tariff Drug tariff price
Metformin hydrochloride 1 gram
30 sachet (POM) — — —
Metformin 1g oral powder sachets sugar free (Niche Pharma Ltd)
Active ingredients Size Unit NHS indicative price Drug tariff Drug tariff price
Metformin hydrochloride 1 gram
30 sachet (POM) — — —"

It looks to me that as there is no pricing associated with the powder sachets that they are in fact unavailable or is that an error on my part.

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In that case I would ask the person who prescribed the medication whether there is another suitable format, or multiple pills in smaller doses.

It's possible that another 'brand / format' may have a different shape - one that you find easier - for that you need to ask a pharmacist.

It may mean not having a single dose to take all at once but multiple doses. The ordinary version of metformin - the type which someone above said might be crushed - is more immedate in its effect ( and side effects ) but shorter lasting and may need a higher dose.
So should I crush it

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If it's the standard tablet you could try it and see how it works out I used to crush my mestinon tablets mix with ice cream and take it that way in fact when unable to swallow them when in hospital nurses used to do that for me but that is totally different to metformin I hasten to add and any way after a while I found out mestinon is water soluble.

Other than that I would strongly advise you as others have already to discuss this with your pharmacist.

Reactions: MTS1980

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it's the standard tablet you could try it and see how it works out I used to crush my mestinon tablets mix with ice cream and take it that way in fact when unable to swallow them when in hospital nurses used to do that for me but that is totally different to metformin I hasten to add and any way after a while I found out mestinon is water soluble.

Other than that I would strongly advise you as others have already to discuss this with your pharmacist.
Thank you

Reactions: JohnEGreen

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be fed via an tube Into my intestine (nj tube) and always crushed my tablets and dissolved in water to put through the tube as I couldn’t tolerate anything into my stomach

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to be fed via an tube Into my intestine (nj tube) and always crushed my tablets and dissolved in water to put through the tube as I couldn’t tolerate anything into my stomach
May God give u speedy recovery hope ur fine now letbme know if u can be if any help personal regards shafi

lindisfel

Expert
Is there some form of hypnosis available on NHS for patients who have very real problems causing issues?
Some need help to get to fly in airplanes.
D.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Further to this after a discussion with my drug supplier he informs me it is not a good idea to crush metformin tablets and if you have a problem with swallowing then it is best to request metformin in the liquid format from your doctor.

Reactions: MTS1980

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Further to this after a discussion with my drug supplier he informs me it is not a good idea to crush metformin tablets and if you have a problem with swallowing then it is best to request metformin in the liquid format from your doctor.
What's the brand name of liquid metformin

D

Deleted member 308541