Going out for a coffee with friends.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like your drinks sweet and you don't mind artificial sweeteners, I recommend the old-fashioned saccharine.

I have used saccharine tablets in my drinks for the past 35 years. If I am forced into having another sort it spoils my drink. I keep a tub of them in every bag I have. Some of the sweeteners in cafes have aspartame in them, or even some sugar. They are not all carb free.

Reactions: A_Sun

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
no cakes or nibbles for me. I need to find a drink I can have without being odd or awkward , something just to keep everyone company and not spike my blood sugars.
I would go for a black americano or small cappucino with the cinammon sprinkles should not spike you(Costa or Starbucks do these). Full fat is fine in my book! If others are nibbling you can at least get some nuts if you did fancy something. Saw a useful video on DietDoctor on the topic of what to eat/drink when out in major high st. chains and it started in Starbucks so maybe worth a visit!

Reactions: A_Sun and dbr10

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have used saccharine tablets in my drinks for the past 35 years. If I am forced into having another sort it spoils my drink. I keep a tub of them in every bag I have. Some of the sweeteners in cafes have aspartame in them, or even some sugar. They are not all carb free.
Bluetit, that's very interesting. Being new to artificial sweeteners, I chose to try saccharine first because it's cheap and I knew that it is definitely completely carb free (recommended by Dr B so it must be OK!) I thought I would dislike the taste and move on to something more modern, but quite honestly I couldn't have told the taste from sugar. (Maybe that's because I never consumed sugar even before.) I don't need it for tea or coffee, but to me herbal teas do require sweetening. It gives me an alternative in cafés if double cream is not available.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2g carbs which is quite manageable I think, even on a very low carb diet.
It all depends on one's budget. If one has less than 20g carbs for a whole day, then even half a gram is a serious outlay.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're meeting real friends you needn't worry since they presumably already know you're a T2. If you mean they're acquaintances, remember that by the law of averages in any group of people hardly anyone is without some problem or another. It's just life. You're no more the odd one out than anyone else.
I watched my brother in law eat lemon cake in a cafe today but actually he was outnumbered by the abstainers -- me, his wife and Mrs DeeJay. And I got cream with my coffee. Things work out if you let them.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Wow, just do it! Life is too short to put this much time and effort into this. So you go over your carb count. Ease up, enjoy.

Reactions: A_Sun and dbr10

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're no more the odd one out than anyone else.
Surely these days almost everyone is on some diet or other, even if they don't have a diagnosed health problem. They will be slimming, avoiding gluten, going back to their supposed caveman roots etc etc.

dipsydo

I regularly go out for coffee - we go to a pub nearby which has a great selection of teas and coffees , and very few cakes on show to tempt ! Personally I have earl grey tea with no milk but I think that an occasional coffee or tea with milk should not cause the issue - one has to live

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, just do it! Life is too short to put this much time and effort into this. So you go over your carb count. Ease up, enjoy.
That's just what non-diabetic so-called friends say to diabetics trying to keep to their diets.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
That's just what non-diabetic so-called friends say to diabetics trying to keep to their diets.
If you wish to obsess about having a coffee with cream, that's your prerogative. I'm just saying that, personally, it's not worth staying home and missing out on life because you're worried about your carb count. Sometimes, being diabetic becomes all-consuming and you need to take a step back. That's all. [edited to correct typo]

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

We are talking one cup of coffee here, for a poster that has not been out for coffee with friends for 2 years because of fearing what she can have to drink in a cafe. That is no life for anyone.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As other posters have pointed out, it is not a stark choice between accepting milk in coffee and staying in. Lots of other possibilities. The OP, and the rest of us, can take our choice.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We will probably end up in a costa or star bucks I hope I find something I enjoy. I haven't liked being a hermit since I was diagnosed.
A not posh place. Ok. I think Starbucks has the "Americano", that is drip coffee. I have tried once in France and is ok.

In Italy, even in Turin thre are a lot of coffee, actually there are a lot of coffee factories like Lavazza, Vergnano, Malabar, San Francisco and some coffe houses that are making their own. Starbucks will find difficult to enter tjhe market.
And we have a local lookalike too: https://www.busterscoffee.it/home-eng

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As other posters have pointed out, it is not a stark choice between accepting milk in coffee and staying in. Lots of other possibilities. The OP, and the rest of us, can take our choice.
Exactly. From my experience if you in a coffe order a coffee and sparkling water the bartender is ok, it' better if you ask aslso for a cheese and sausage selction or the like, and nobody is really interested in the exact menu choiches.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A not posh place. Ok. I think Starbucks has the "Americano", that is drip coffee. I have tried once in France and is ok.

In Italy, even in Turin thre are a lot of coffee, actually there are a lot of coffee factories like Lavazza, Vergnano, Malabar, San Francisco and some coffe houses that are making their own. Starbucks will find difficult to enter tjhe market.
And we have a local lookalike too: https://www.busterscoffee.it/home-eng
Here in the UK nowadays, any old black coffee is called "Americano". I suppose it is to make it sound more exciting. I am getting the impression that coffee in Italy is in a totally different league from coffee here. A culture shock for Italians visiting the UK, no doubt. But nothing to the horror they will have experienced back at the start of the 50s, before real coffee arrived here and what was served as coffee was actually a sort of brown sludge. No wonder we Brits were then a nation of tea drinkers!

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you wish to obsess about having a coffee with cream, that your prerogative. I'm just saying that, personally, it's not worth staying home and missing out on life because you're worried about your carb count. Sometimes, being diabetic becomes all-consuming and you need to take a step back. That's all.
I am still diabetic. Haven't manage to go below 51 HBA1C in 2 years. I have a sweet tooth and am scared I will slip and fall into the bad habits again. But you are right I need to find a balance. Take a step back and enjoy.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am still diabetic. Haven't manage to go below 51 HBA1C in 2 years. I have a sweet tooth and am scared I will slip and fall into the bad habits again. But you are right I need to find a balance. Take a step back and enjoy.
If you are worried about being tempted with the sweets on offer, bake some almond flour cookies and take a stash with you. No one will bat an eyelid.

Reactions: Antje77

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hba1c of 51...about 7% ..thats not too bad...my last one was 37...5.5%...my consultant was worried i was getting obsessed with low bg and told me to ease up a little...wants to see my hba1c a little higher next time !!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hba1c of 51...about 7% ..thats not too bad...my last one was 37...5.5%...my consultant was worried i was getting obsessed with low bg and told me to ease up a little...wants to see my hba1c a little higher next time !!
Your consultant is a criminal!!! Seriously, I'd ask to be referred to someone else.

Reactions: dbr10 and james11