Cushing Syndrome

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've spent the best part of ten years trying to identify why I gain weight easily and can't lose weight (unless following a VLCD), despite eating much less than my resting metabolic rate. I've got food diaries coming out of my ears, so have substantial evidence of what I've been eating over those years. My GP just says that my metabolism is broken and I'm not satisfied with that excuse, I want to know the reason so I can act accordingly.

I was looking into how quickly we turn excess calories into fat and the whole mechanism of where it's added and why it's added in certain places first. I came across something called Cushing Syndrome which I had a vague recollection of, although no knowledge of what it was.

"Cushing syndrome occurs due to abnormally high levels of the hormone cortisol."

Some years ago I had a full blood profile done, organised by the Nutritional Therapist I see and high levels of Cortisol was mentioned. When I look at they 20 or so symptoms, I've got them all. Being realistic, that means nothing.

Just wondering if other forum members have any experience or knowledge of Cushing Syndrome. I'm debating whether this is an avenue to be pursued, there's always the possibility (maybe probability) that I'm just a hypochondriac. In truth I just want answers before I shuttle up my mortal coil.

Reactions: catarinagallo

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think my progression to diabetes was MG treated with steroids that pushed me into cushings and huge weight gain then diabetes. Had the moon face fatty humps and weakening and bruising of skin all symptoms of cushings.

The bruising has lessened a bit since stepping dosage of steroids down over the last few months.

Though no doctor directly said I had cushings all they said was while you are on steroids these symptoms will not go away.

So I think you may be onto something worth discussing with your doctors.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think in your shoes, I'd pursue things - there's nothing worse than knowing that something is wrong, but not knowing exactly what it is :(

Reactions: DavidGrahamJones

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My wife was tested for Cushing’s as she has had a lot of unexplained weight gain. They do an early morning blood draw (baseline) then another usually 8 hours to see how high the level gets. Her test came back fine so a complete thyroid test is up next.