What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - Coffee and Walnut? Say no more

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjASegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3eujkO271arj51ZmADwRNS

Haven't made it for a while but I'm sure I separated the eggs and whisked the whites and beat the yolks in then folded the whites in (A whisked sponge method). There's a black forest gateaux that I make in a similar way which I've made a few times).
@maglil55 agree you’re a star looks amazing will bear in mind your egg separation tip and have a go at this this weekend for my treat may have to cut slivers though as 6g of carb per slice if cut into 12. Lemon cake is only 1.9. Prob the nuts? Will have to count as my nuts for that day! Thank you for recipe

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria has quite a few tried and tested cake recipes. I got the black forest gateaux one from her. Made it for Christmas and no one knew is was anything different to a 'normal' black forest gateaux.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe I’ll look on the recipe thread, now I know there is a whole world of low carb cakes to be made, and eaten.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @maglil55

These are my fave cakerecipes, although I have to confess I don't bake often. And it is quite possible that these are only my favourites because I discovered these, and then lost interest in looking further, because they are all so great.
They all work with just erythritol - because that is all I use.

If you want any kind of LC cake recipe, just do a google search for 'low carb xxxx cake recipe' and you will be SWAMPED

Coffee and walnut - this is like a brick. Mr B has this for breakfast and doesn't need to eat for 8 hours.
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/recipes/50976-coffee-walnut-cake-low-carb/
Blood orange - this is the lightest and most moistly sponge-like
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/glazed-blood-orange-rum-cake-low-carb/
Stracciatella - first one I tried, and still a favourite, although I always have to cook it for longer than the recipe says, and any additives (like choc chips) sink to the bottom. But who cares?
Low Carb Recipes
black forest gateau - the same one mentioned above
Apple crumble cake - another of Mr B's meal-in-a-cake options. He gets quite possessive.
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/cinnamon-apple-crumb-cake-low-carb/

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria thanks for all these. A Google search is one thing but it’s good to have recommendations for recipes that actually work.

Your posts always make me laugh, thanks for that too!

Reactions: LouWilk059

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahh @Brunneria, I've always regarded you as the Mary Berry of this thread. Just noticed I didn't post the link for the Black Forest but came across these little gems too which are great if you miss your Bounty bars

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2013/04/bountytruffles-ifyou-like-bounty.html

And the amazing black forest. I put grated 90% around the sides and kirsch soaked cherries on top. It is kirsch soaked cherries I put in it as well.

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2016/01/black-forest-gateau.html

Another I've made where no one noticed it was different was the lemon cloud pie

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/lemon-cloud-pie-low-carb-gluten-free/

Seriously good for lemon lovers. One thing I will say it the base worried me as first. Second time I made it I reduced the butter by 2 tablespoons as the first one I made the base could move when I took it out of the oven. This was due to the liquid butter. I'd made bases in the past with butter and ground digestive biscuits (pre type Ii) but in the adapted recipe the coconut doesn't seem to bind as well. First one I actually used kitchen towel to soak some of the liquid butter off the base. It does actually set in the fridge but I still felt it was too much butter. As it cools you have to shape the sides up again as they do slide down while they are hot. Worth the effort though it's really good.

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Inspired by all these recipes I decided to look for one for shortbread.....in pre keto days it was a regular treat and I have missed it. Kind of assumed it couldn’t be to hard to ketoise as the best ones always use loads of butter, so if you love shortbread.....

https://www.myketokitchen.com/keto-recipes/low-carb-buttery-vanilla-shortbread-cookies/

Made some this morning, had to try one then, obviously (lol) but now sat with a big mug of decaf with cream and two of these....lovely, buttery just the right ammount of crunch/softness. Going to freeze the rest or they will be history! Think they would be wonderful with a blob of clotted cream and a couple of raspberries as an indulgent dessert.......if anyone has a keto scone recipe please share, a cream tea would be great back on the menu but the recipes I've tried don’t do it for me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posting early today as we’ve been invited round our neighbour’s for drinks this evening. I do hope they don’t offer nibbles, don’t want to offend by refusing, also worried that after one or 2 drinks I’ll lose all willpower and motor through several bowls of crisps and carby snacks.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and streaky bacon

Nearly but not quite lunchtime: walnuts

Lunch/ dinner combo ( Linner??) cold roast chicken and salad with a lot of olive oil dressing. Then a slice of lemon drizzle cake.

@Mufflana I hope your hydrotherapy and pampering went well today.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Inspired by all these recipes I decided to look for one for shortbread.....in pre keto days it was a regular treat and I have missed it. Kind of assumed it couldn’t be to hard to ketoise as the best ones always use loads of butter, so if you love shortbread.....

https://www.myketokitchen.com/keto-recipes/low-carb-buttery-vanilla-shortbread-cookies/

Made some this morning, had to try one then, obviously (lol) but now sat with a big mug of decaf with cream and two of these....lovely, buttery just the right ammount of crunch/softness. Going to freeze the rest or they will be history! Think they would be wonderful with a blob of clotted cream and a couple of raspberries as an indulgent dessert.......if anyone has a keto scone recipe please share, a cream tea would be great back on the menu but the recipes I've tried don’t do it for me.

My! They sound lovely. Certainly on my list. If they freeze well that is doubly good.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Posting early today as we’ve been invited round our neighbour’s for drinks this evening. I do hope they don’t offer nibbles, don’t want to offend by refusing.....

Why don’t you take some nuts in your bag and produce them if nibbles appear saying “oh I’ve bought some nibbles too, nearly forgot”!

Reactions: Mufflana

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why don’t you take some nuts in your bag and produce them if nibbles appear saying “oh I’ve bought some nibbles too, nearly forgot”!

Good plan, sounds like you’ve been in this situation?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good plan, sounds like you’ve been in this situation?

Not specifically, but always have nuts and Adonis bars in my bag. My next major unplanned food worry is my BIL’s wedding in June! :wideyed:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not specifically, but always have nuts and Adonis bars in my bag. My next major unplanned food worry is my BIL’s wedding in June! :wideyed:

Social eating is a minefield isnt it?

Btw I’m going to Ask for lunch on Friday with a couple of friends after your post saying how good and low carb the chicken and pancetta salad was. They were prevaricating about where to go so I jumped in with that!

Reactions: ziggy_w and Rachox

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Posting early today as we’ve been invited round our neighbour’s for drinks this evening. I do hope they don’t offer nibbles, don’t want to offend by refusing, also worried that after one or 2 drinks I’ll lose all willpower and motor through several bowls of crisps and carby snacks.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and streaky bacon

Nearly but not quite lunchtime: walnuts

Lunch/ dinner combo ( Linner??) cold roast chicken and salad with a lot of olive oil dressing. Then a slice of lemon drizzle cake.

@Mufflana I hope your hydrotherapy and pampering went well today.

Thanks so much! Haidresser has made me feel 10 years younger, a real miracle worker! Hydrotherapy was actually not as scary as I thought, lovely Physio who made me feel at ease.....and then made me work bits that obviously have been resting for 50 years!

Hope you have a lovely evening and the carbs don't call to you!

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast...but I snuck in a keto shortbread that I made....purely to test you understand! Then off to hydrotherapy followed by the hairdresser so first meal
2.30 - Cheese smothered in butter and marmite plus a slice of ox tongue
Now- Explore Cuisine pasta, the endamame and mung bean fettucine, with carbonara sauce.

Thanks for the recommendation re this pasta, wasn't sure untill it was smothered in cream, bacon etc but it is good and filling.

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all what a wonderful day the sun makes everything easier - went down to river after lunch with adult autistic son to feed the ducks a source of fascination for him but great to be out there with the sun glistening on the water - but I decided not to share my slice of low carb lemon drizzle cake picnic with the ducks - a step too far!!
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg with mushrooms fried in butter
Lunch cheese and celery
After lunch picnic slice of low carb lemon drizzle with my flask of black tea - afternoon tea by the river what could be better?
Dinner pork casserole with cauli cheese followed by one scoop of OPPO salted caramel ice cream

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.6 FBG 6.9 but a little rush of DP today. Not too bad at 8.7 though. Finally got back into the 5's yesterday and today too.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and a quick 2 scrambled eggs inbetween the school run and heading off to physio. Was blessed by this stretchy green band thing to work on my shoulder (that was after my legs had been stretched, rotated etc).
L. 1/2 A Mattesons smoked sausage.
D. Not what I intended but it had to be used, air fried chicken thigh and 2 drumsticks with cheese and chive dip.
Scoop of Halo Top and raspberries.

Still having the odd paracetamol.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3