Auto immune

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got diagnosed with autoimmune b12 deficiency lately and fibro I also have interstitial cystitis, I was wondering how many other people since being diagnosed with type 1 seem to get other medical issues? I feel like my body is giving up on me. All I’m thinking is .. “ What’s Next”...
Like seriously

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you been tested for coeliac as well? Not wanting to be a Debbie Downer, but Type 1 and coeliac tend to cluster - B12 can also be related to coeliac.

I feel your frustration :(

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been tested for coeliac as well? Not wanting to be a Debbie Downer, but Type 1 and coeliac tend to cluster - B12 can also be related to coeliac.

I feel your frustration :(

I was tested ten months ago an was fine. So thinking I’m ok there. How often should you get tested?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nessa1970 - frustratingly, people with one AI condition tend to develop more over time.

I sort of knew this, but had a great discussion with an Endo about it several months ago, as he worked his way through the ginagerous list of AI conditions I had just been tested for. That testing was on the basis of some symptoms, but more specifically my family history littered on both sides with AI conditions.

The Endo was astonished that thus far, I have dodged every bullet, but his parting shot suggested it was a matter of time.

My take on AI conditions is it's best to get a diagnosis as early as possible and get going on whatever treatment/maintenance protocols are available to keep things in a decent place.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@nessa1970 - frustratingly, people with one AI condition tend to develop more over time.

I sort of knew this, but had a great discussion with an Endo about it several months ago, as he worked his way through the ginagerous list of AI conditions I had just been tested for. That testing was on the basis of some symptoms, but more specifically my family history littered on both sides with AI conditions.

The Endo was astonished that thus far, I have dodged every bullet, but his parting shot suggested it was a matter of time.

My take on AI conditions is it's best to get a diagnosis as early as possible and get going on whatever treatment/maintenance protocols are available to keep things in a decent place.

Yes I agree. I’m hoping the neurological issues were caught in time , have my first injection tomorrow time will tell I guess . Hoping that’s it for me re illnesses. Four is enough two autoimmune two chronic an painful.
Fingers crossed

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Since diagnosis 20 years ago, I’ve developed serious allergies - oilseed rape pollen, hair dye, and most recently red meat, then white, and now dairy. I’m now being investigated for lupus, another AI condition.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @nessa1970 keep an eye on your thyroid levels too, I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid about 4 years ago and the onset was slow but progressive, energy levels were zapped and lost hair so it was a relief to start taking medication, just something else to be mindful of :bored:

Reactions: nessa1970
D

Deleted Account

Touch wood and cross all my fingers and toes, I have not been diagnosed with any other autoimmune conditions since type 1.
I have had Raynaud's for as long as I can remember. My mother had and so did my grandmother and neither had diabetes of any form so I had assumed they were unrelated.
However, I have just read "Around 1 in 10 people with primary Raynaud’s go on to develop an autoimmune condition."

So, I guess there is a chance for me the Raynaud's was the chicken and diabetes the egg.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once you have one autoimmune disease you are more at risk of developing others. Your body has form for killing off perfectly healthy bits of itself. This is possibly something to do with your gut microbiome. The bacteria in your gut give out proteins which teach your body what is a foreign object and should be killed and what isn't, if there is something faulty with your gut bicromiome it stops coating your cells in proteins to tell your body it's not a foreign object and shouldn't be attacked, or your body stops trusting the protein coating and will attack cells even when they are coated with it

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since diagnosis 20 years ago, I’ve developed serious allergies - oilseed rape pollen, hair dye, and most recently red meat, then white, and now dairy. I’m now being investigated for lupus, another AI condition.

Oh I do hope you don’t have lupus
Thinking of you am hoping for negative results

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @nessa1970 keep an eye on your thyroid levels too, I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid about 4 years ago and the onset was slow but progressive, energy levels were zapped and lost hair so it was a relief to start taking medication, just something else to be mindful of :bored:

Thank you I will get tested for it soon my last one was

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
type 2 get those

non diabetics get those

I think you can be born with that kind of anemia? There are B12 injections and B12 sublinguals, 1st works better than the 2d.

You can cure the cystitis. Many women have gone before you and conquered this. Several times even.

What do you mean by fibro? Fibrocystic breasts? Fibroids in the uterus? Fibromyalgia?

Interstitial cystitis is chronic an there’s no cure but there are things you do like hydrodistention and Botox etc I’ve had the first an have been flare free for a month so far yes fibromyalgia also chronic . I’m on b12 injections tho I feel no better at all but I did only have it today, I have had pernicious anemia before I was extremely ill anyway such as life I guess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have Type 1, Coeliac disease, Oral Lichen Planus all auto immune and Osteoporosis too, (but the jury is still out on it being autoimmune)Type 1 and other auto-immune conditions can go hand in hand. I am 60 now, still fit (only 1/2 stone heavier than 40 years ago) still active and I will keep on going ........................... :)

Reactions: Peppergirl and Dodo

Icebat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have vitiligo, which is also an autoimmune disease. I've seen some stuff saying it's more common if you have type 1 diabetes, although I don't know how solid the evidence is. There's a history of thyroid problems in my family too, so I should probably keep an eye out for that.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got diagnosed with autoimmune b12 deficiency lately and fibro I also have interstitial cystitis, I was wondering how many other people since being diagnosed with type 1 seem to get other medical issues? I feel like my body is giving up on me. All I’m thinking is .. “ What’s Next”...
Like seriously
Like @Mel dCP said just above, Type1 is an auto-immune disease type and often our immune system remain on hyper alert for many other things that can trigger it to react. So we also have a prevalence for comorbidities that have root cause in a messed up immune system. B12 deficiency is actually one of the most frequent observations within the Type1 population but frequently not properly diagnosed as your case seem to have been. It is related to the same gene defect as triggering your Type1 type, which affects some of your digestive system not to be able to obtain B12 from the food that you eat. A simple B12 or multi-vitamin per day is usually sufficient to get your B12 within appropriate range. And that is actually for another reason an important figure to track for diabetics, as B12 is critical for your neurological system. Increased benfotiamin level (B12 type) has even shown to diminish neuropathy developments in Type1 studies.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have vitiligo, which is also an autoimmune disease. I've seen some stuff saying it's more common if you have type 1 diabetes, although I don't know how solid the evidence is. There's a history of thyroid problems in my family too, so I should probably keep an eye out for that.
Me too! Though only in some really minor spots and they didn't come until after 30 years with the Diabetes Type1. And they stopped spreading after just 5-7 months or so. And yes, vitiligo is observed with a higher frequency versus norm in the Type1 population. And is also an auto-immune type of disease.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ooh @Robinredbreast I have Lichen planus too. What a pain in the neck (mouth) that is.

It's on the left side of my mouth and tongue ( my dentist spotted it) and when it flares up, it's like razor blades. Where is yours located ?