Infection and bloods raised

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am feeling rubbish at the mo and my bloods are raised (for me). I don't know if any of this is related but here goes. Some women's issues ahead fellas.

I am in the early stages of the early stages of the menopause and only had one period in 10 months and then out of the blue have had 3 real doozeys 3 weeks apart. I think my blood pressure is low as am getting dizzy if I stand up quick or bend down. I had it checked at the chemist but it came back lowish, again normal for me, but fine. I don't test my bloods often as have been stable for a while and am normally in the low to mid 4's. Last weekend I started with an infection in a tooth and then got an abscess in another which is ongoing and then started with a boil on my back. Since then my bloods have been around 6ish base rate which is high for me. Could this be caused by any or all of the above or could my diabetes changing? Anybody had anything similar.?

D

Deleted Account

There are many things which affect our BG.
Food is the most obvious but it is also affected by illness, stress, exercise, alcohol, time of the year, month, day, ...

So, yes, your raised BG could be affected by the issues you describe.

Reactions: Lemonie

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Infections can cause BG increase for definite........

And I suppose hormonal changes can too........whether its menopause or any other imbalance.....

Fortunately though it sounds like although your levels are raised, they aren't dangerously high....

Is your diabetes changing, well, maybe.....I wouldn't be making any medications changes or anything like that purely because of all the stuff going on....

but the doctor is there to advise you...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am feeling rubbish at the mo and my bloods are raised (for me). I don't know if any of this is related but here goes. Some women's issues ahead fellas.

I am in the early stages of the early stages of the menopause and only had one period in 10 months and then out of the blue have had 3 real doozeys 3 weeks apart. I think my blood pressure is low as am getting dizzy if I stand up quick or bend down. I had it checked at the chemist but it came back lowish, again normal for me, but fine. I don't test my bloods often as have been stable for a while and am normally in the low to mid 4's. Last weekend I started with an infection in a tooth and then got an abscess in another which is ongoing and then started with a boil on my back. Since then my bloods have been around 6ish base rate which is high for me. Could this be caused by any or all of the above or could my diabetes changing? Anybody had anything similar.?

To be honest, in your shoes, I'd be looking to see the Doc to have a bit of a blood panel done. It sounds like you're "a bit run down" as my Mum would have said. Your multiple infections suggest your immune system could be a bit low, and 3 very heavy periods won't have helped too much.

Specifically, are you receiving any antibiotic treatment for your abscesses and boil?

In the meantime, eat well and keep the fluids up. The fluids will help dealing with the infection, a bit, but your tooth abscess may need to be drained and will almost certainly warrant some sort of treatment afterwards.

Goods luck with it all, but please don't ignore these things. Subject to your higher numbers being aligned with your infections, they'll likely very fairly promptly when the infection is dealt with.

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yep infections (of any kind) will affect blood sugar so I would imagine that your immune system is a bit depressed judging from what you have said.

I also think that hormones affect BG as well. Hubby (obvs not menopausal !) finds that his BG rises when he is particularly stressed. Cortisol is another hormone so I would think it more than likely that if your female hormones are fluctuating, then it would impact on your BG. After all insulin and cortisol both impact on diabetes...why should estrogen/progesteron be any different ? Hope you feel better soon x

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. Am a bit reluctant to go to the docs but will give it a few more days to resolve and then might have to. Am doing everything I can myself in the meantime. I have a bad time with antibiotics so am trying to avoid. Teeth are now fine and it's just the boil on my back but am taking anti-inflams and anti hists and doing castor oil and heat so fingers crossed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. Am a bit reluctant to go to the docs but will give it a few more days to resolve and then might have to. Am doing everything I can myself in the meantime. I have a bad time with antibiotics so am trying to avoid. Teeth are now fine and it's just the boil on my back but am taking anti-inflams and anti hists and doing castor oil and heat so fingers crossed.

With respect abscesses in the mouth rarely entirely resolve, for good, with no intervention. An abscess forms when an infection develops, with no easy way out, and therefore results in a pocket of puss, which eventually breaks through the route of least resistance. Depending on the exact location of the abscess that could be by breaching a dental ligament or my destroying some bone. Without adequate treatment they usually come back, with each recurrence being larger than the last.

I'm sorry if that's all a bit yuck, but it is as it is. Your boil is a variation on that theme.

I hate taking antibiotics too and sometimes feel the cure is as bad as the ailment, but when it comes to a cluster of infections, such as you have described they can be extremely useful.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please, please go back to your doctors. I ended up with blood poisoning last year quite quickly while a boil was brewing. IV antibiotics are no joke : (