Useful Apps?

JoJoS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone!

Can anyone recommend any apps that they find useful for diabetes management?

Thank you.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I use Carbs and Cals - it’s got some limitations but covers most commonly eaten foods. It does seem to have a lot of ‘fast’ food in it though.
I expect there are other carb content apps too.

Reactions: Tabzmcfc and JoJoS

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @JoJoS I have used Diasend in the past to track and record insulin/carbs/activity, it's useful as you can create reports and email them direct from the app to your DSN for instance.

Reactions: JoJoS

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've used Carbs & Cals and would recommend it, too -- it's not perfect, but seems to be the only one out there with pictures, which are utterly invaluable. MyFitnessPal is useful for the barcode scanner, although if something has a barcode, it usually has nutritional info too...

For tracking, I've recently started using MySugr, and I find it to be excellent. It produces PDF reports which make analysis really easy, as they are presented in the most helpful way imaginable. Somehow, it combines everything useful in a graphical form that is actually understandable.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cromometer has a ketogenic diet setting and you can add in your biometric data i.e. bgs, blood ketones and much else. No pictures though!

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Fat secret is not bad either for adding up calories as well if that’s required.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've used Carbs & Cals and would recommend it, too -- it's not perfect, but seems to be the only one out there with pictures, which are utterly invaluable. MyFitnessPal is useful for the barcode scanner, although if something has a barcode, it usually has nutritional info too...
For MyFitnessPal I installed a separate "Print to PDF" option which also saves on lots of ink and paper. This will work for all apps

Reactions: Picci and JoJoS

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

For tracking, I've recently started using MySugr, and I find it to be excellent. It produces PDF reports which make analysis really easy, as they are presented in the most helpful way imaginable. Somehow, it combines everything useful in a graphical form that is actually understandable.

I also use carbs&cals and MySugr and agree with you @Colin of Kent.

A useful aspect of MySugr is the estimated HbA1c it will give you once you have put in enough bg readings.

The estimate was a bit lower than my last lab test ( estimate 38 actual 41) but I think you just need to make sure you are recording enough measurements. It’s good to see the general trend downwards ( or occasionally, depressingly upwards).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another vote for MySugr here!

D

Deleted member 308541

I have noticed that I have been using the data off of my Abbot Freedom Lite meter, when putting in a new NDSS strip request form with my GP.

I print out the trends and averages and couple of pages of logbook for the previous month which he is quite happy with.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use a pretty good app, it’s called Dario, I have their smart meter that plugs in to my iPhone. It’s a fantastic piece of kit. Been using it for just over 2 and half years now. Advanced therapeutics distributes here in the U.K. comes from Israel, the home of some really good D research in my book as well.

I can log everything, insulin, food, exercise, mood, notes. Have it linked up to people to send them reports. it’s also syncs up to HealthKit, I imagine it does the same for Android if that has an equivalent.

The meter itself is as small as the tip of my finger, in the tiny little device in the picture is my strip holder and lancet device.

I also used the MyFitnessPal to get carb counts when structuring my meals plans. Take some readings with a pinch of salt, if it looks like it’s not right go to one of supermarket sites online and have a quick check. It’s usually spot on though.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wont let me upload my photo. Saying the image is too big. Never had that before. Using the same phone. Never mind will drop a link to one for you to see..

http://mydario.co.uk/

You’ll probably get the meter for free if your intending getting them on prescription regular as well. I get my new meters free when needed.

So compact, no Bluetooth connection either to upload as it goes straight in your phone..

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use MyNetDiary-D ( Diabetes version ). costs 10 dollars.

It does diet/calories with a decent food database, If you want to add an item it is easy as take 2 photos, and they will update the database.

It has 3 types of carbs tracking, I use their "Diabetes carbs" which is the middle way, ie total carbs with some adjustment for fiber.

It has Blood Sugar of course, with reminders.

Insulin and/or medication tracking.

GPS for outdoor exercise. Log gym exercise manually from a list.

Track a range of health variables, like Blood pressure, Cholesterol, A1c.

Tons of charts ( on the phone ) or pay 60 dollars annually for export of nice charts ( cvs files free )

I also use MySugr, mainly for its star feature of estimated HBA1c. Is Great.

Both linked together with apple Health on the iphone.