Carbs or not carbs. This is the question

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good thoughts, Nicole. I'm not on meds and hopefully never will be for T2.
I'm just trying to keep my HBa1C below 42 (6%).
I don't jab to get BG levels so have only three monthly HBa1C tests to work on.

Interested in how the coconut bread turned out. I've tried, oh many, LCHF bread recipes but only almond loaf comes anywhere near the whole wheat bad stuff. :(

P

pollensa

If of any help to my understanding Coconut flour is great, even though has carbs, the beauty of this product if not incorrect, you require MUCH LESS of the flour in the first instance when cooking, than traditional flours white or wholemeal, and the main added bonus that you use less flour, it takes much longer for all or any carbs to get into the system finally compared to all or any other flowers. For this, I dont even look at the amount of carbs, as I take into consideration that Coconut flour use requires 1/3 cup compared to say 1 cup and a half of traditional flour.

Hope this helps.

P

pollensa

Interested in how the coconut bread turned out. I've tried, oh many, LCHF bread recipes but only almond loaf comes anywhere near the whole wheat bad stuff. :(

Try the www.dietdoctor.com keto recipe Keto Mediterranean flat bread, you use it with coconut flour, pysillium husks which are no carb when integral, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, black pepepr, rosemary. view the recipe its easy and great. When cooked cook into squares, freeze them, and when required, take them out freezer, pop in toaster of grill, and off you go.........crispy and yummie.

Reactions: SugarPossum

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Throwing a significant spanner in the works!
This is not an anti carbs post because the information labelled can be acknowledged and written as in a food diary, you are counting carbs, and you should also be adding protein and fat to that list. Also portion size is important and the resulting blood glucose levels, before and after eating.
However, it is your body and we cannot tell you how much of each carb you should reduce or limit your other foods. We can advise that lowering your carbs, will help control your blood sugar levels.
You have to find that balance, and each of us especially T2s, have to discover which foods we are intolerant to. Starchy carbs like spuds, maybe you are ok having a normal portion, or you may have to reduce them a bit or totally. But once your blood sugar levels are in near or normal levels you may be able to increase again.
This is how you use a glucometer to monitor your blood levels. And how to see how your body reacts to certain foods.
It is not as simple or exact as tracking every gram or meal by reading labels.
We have a saying, Eat to your meter!
Diabetes can be controlled, by changing your diet and lifestyle.

Carbs or not carbs?

It all depends on what you can tolerate!

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lamont D, you encourage me to take readings using a glucometer before and after eating to ascertain what foods affect my BG.
At this stage I am not happy at having to jab a needle in my body six or eight times a day. Maybe I'll have to if I cannot hold my HbA1c down just by diet.
So for now I'll persist in noting daily carb intake and see the resultant three monthly result.

All the advice I have received is reassuring that I now understand better just what I am eating. Thank you all.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Its not really a bread as it has no gluten but if you miss baked goods then it is a comforting option. I also use almonds/flaxseed for my ersatz baked goods. If I tailor my expectations that it is NOT bread then I am much happier but yep I do miss a crusty French loaf etc. etc.!

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
If you read a website that spells fibre the American way (fiber) then be careful. American food labelling is different from Europe. In the USA they include fibre in the total carb content. In Europe the fibre is deducted and listed separately, giving a total of net carbs. Is this the problem you are having?
FYI - Canada uses "fibre" like U.K
and we use "net carbs" like the Americans" (carbs - fibre = net carbs)

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
My last two HBa1C three monthly readings have hovered around 6% after achieving a low of 5.5% a year ago.
So I'm back to monitoring every day logging of total carb consumption.
I thought I understood % carbs in everyday food but after more reading I find it now somewhat confusing.
For example from healthyeating web site, "..one popular brand of coconut flour contains 64.8 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams. Of that total, 38.5 grams are dietary fiber, sugars account for another 8.7 grams and only the remaining 17.6 grams are starchy carbs."
Then again, "..100-gram portion of white all-purpose flour contains 76.3 grams of total carbohydrates. Of that total, only 2.7 grams are dietary fiber and another 0.3 grams are sugars, leaving 73.3 grams of starchy carbohydrates."
So on my normal decision making coconut flour is not far short of white flour.
So what decides on bad carbs? sugars + starchy carbs? Ignore fibre content?
e.g., potatoes come in at ~18% carbs but have not yet, so far, split them down to significant(?) proportions.

I try to make this easy for myself. I am pre-D w/normal BS & a 5.5% A1C, no meds. I eat under 40 grams carbs most days---some days 50, some days 30 --of complex carbs. (NOT net) No prepared/processed/packaged foods, no root vegetables. Baked LC treats are "very occasionally". (low carb doesn't mean no carb) No grains/sugar/starches. I do not trust any food package's statement of "net" carbs. I don't eat out much, & when I do & NEVER sauces/dressings or dips, no matter wha the waitstaff tells me. Sounds strict, but it's worth it.