Lost my job for being a diabetic

benjey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Just wondered if anything has been through anything similar or can offer any advice. I went through a health issue a while ago which made me very tired and not as controlled with my diabetes type 1 as I usually am. My diabetic consultant assumed it was related to my diabetes so wrote a letter to my employer to recommend a smaller commute (it was approx 3 hrs a day). I was then diagnosed with post viral fatigue, but have since made a full recovery. After going through a process of displacement I was only allowed to apply for a job in the company with no commute and no travel on the job, which severely limited the roles open to me. Even though I have had a letter from my GP to say I am now fit and well and can commute without any impact on my health, the company have dismissed me on ill health. It took until the end of the the displacement process to get an appointment with Occupational Health, as the company would not allow it to begin with,who then took off most of my restrictions, but not all, due to me being a diabetic. I have been a diabetic since I was 12, I have travelled the world, have had other jobs with a commute, and now I have been dismissed for being a diabetic = being ill. I am not ill!! Any advice would be great.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What process did they go through for the dismissal?

Reactions: dbr10

Lou67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dieting
Hi, I am currently going through something similar in work after being employed with same company for 29 years, I have been type 1 for 40 years.
I am going through the grievance procedure and just had my final appeal so just waiting the outcome. I am in a union which is really important as Type 1 is covered under the Equality Act 2010 and employers should be seem to be making reasonable adjustments.

Again it depends on their definition of "reasonable". If you aren't satisfied with the outcome and in a position to go to an Employment Tribunal with a Union do this as discrimination is occurring too often and employers need to understand it is a condition but a tthe end of the day they choose to ignore the advice of medically trained professionals.

You have a very good case in my view Diabetes UK Advocacy have been really good also and will support where possible.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Reactions: SimonCrox and dbr10
D

Deleted Account

Diabetes UK offer an advocacy service to help in similar situations.
It may be worthwhile getting in touch with them.

Don’t forget diabetes is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act.

Reactions: RAPS_od and dbr10

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Just wondered if anything has been through anything similar or can offer any advice. I went through a health issue a while ago which made me very tired and not as controlled with my diabetes type 1 as I usually am. My diabetic consultant assumed it was related to my diabetes so wrote a letter to my employer to recommend a smaller commute (it was approx 3 hrs a day). I was then diagnosed with post viral fatigue, but have since made a full recovery. After going through a process of displacement I was only allowed to apply for a job in the company with no commute and no travel on the job, which severely limited the roles open to me. Even though I have had a letter from my GP to say I am now fit and well and can commute without any impact on my health, the company have dismissed me on ill health. It took until the end of the the displacement process to get an appointment with Occupational Health, as the company would not allow it to begin with,who then took off most of my restrictions, but not all, due to me being a diabetic. I have been a diabetic since I was 12, I have travelled the world, have had other jobs with a commute, and now I have been dismissed for being a diabetic = being ill. I am not ill!! Any advice would be great.

Your employer maybe in breach of law.

As T1, you are recognised by law as disabled and need special measures/treatment in the workplace.

Reactions: dbr10

adh398

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have lost three jobs due to overdosing my insulin regime (which I thought was keeping me healthy) and only realising this when I took a DAFNE course last year. I am still trying to sue a former employer for constructive dismissal and discrimination but no solicitor seems interested.

grabarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What they have done is illegal either use a union, although in my experience they are invariably uninterested in this type of event, the law is the way to go here, they have broken the law and the issue needs to be addressed by the law

Reactions: RAPS_od

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If anybody is working and also has ihousehold insurance, its always good to pay extra for legal advice.

I have done for so for at least a decade as my husband was never in a union at work. When my husband suddenly died recently they also iffer advice and help for medical negligence claims.

I know this doesnt help if you havent got it now, but seriously, I would always advise to add it on.. they deal with employment issues to and even on battles about children... even if its just legal advice without claims going forward.. its also less money than paying union dues...

vs123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So sorry you are going through this. As one post said, if you pay into a union, you have a right to representation and support. Look at gov.uk and employment law, or contact your company’s Human Resources department to clarify the situation. I had to find a more stable job in the nhs after I suffered seizures from a new diagnosis of T2DM and give up long, irregular hours which, although earned me good pay, meant that my diabetes could be compromised and with hindsight, I was getting too tired to stay healthy. Whatever you do, keep calm and stick to the facts, take advice and try to be rational and level headed. It can be tough and no one knows exactly what you are going through, but you do have rights. Again, like you, I have travelled the world, many times alone, so clearly, you are in control and strong minded. Focus on the positives when you put your case across and let the company know they may lose a valued member of their team, if going back to that job is what you want. I can’t say they will listen but you have a great opportunity to make them listen! Good luck