Advice please

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am very concerned for my mum she is type 2 diabetic and is not eating hardly anything and been like this a couple of months she said she dosent want to eat too much but i think shes losing her appetite. Her Surgery has not helped her hardly and shes normally a busy active woman and in her early 70s. Shes looking pale and slower in speach. She says shes not been feeling well.i havent seen her much week as i work but we chatted on the phone til tonight i went round to see her and dad.shes never been over weight. But shes walking slower and weaker and looks like its difficult to do so .shes not eating sugary things .but shes hardly eating anything properly just tiny meals . Shes always been active and busy shes a lady who looks younger than her age and trim in figure. I am worried what to do. I am going to make her meals from now on which will help her after reading here about dietry needs. I had not realised how things are going on like this until lately as shes always saying shes fine and does not need any help as shes extremely independant she eve said the other day she didnt think she even had diabetes . But i am going to pursuade her to change surgery .i am taking her to A and E if she will go in the morning....

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @swan45 ,

It's always a dilemma with elderly parents. (My dad was T2.)

What medication does your Mum take?

Reactions: Freema

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont really understand diabetes .ive been told I am prediabetic now. So I am realising what the implications are. I think she takes another box of medication too but don't know what it is. Her symptoms are what are worrying me. Shes lost alot of weight though she was never overweight. I dont see her as elderly she is still a young mum in my eyes . But I know its complications due to diabetes. Mum said she didnt know what's wrong with her when I asked if she could say where it was in her body that is making her feel like she is. She couldnt pinpoint anywhere. Just feels sluggish and talking weak and quieter and a bit slower in her speech but shes mentally bright and fine .

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But I know its complications due to diabetes.

I wouldn't assume this at all. Diabetes is just one of many ailments that people can get. Take her to the doctor and get her checked out. eg It could be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency or over/under active thyroid.... Good luck.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that it might not be connected to diabetes.

Those symptoms could be from any number of things.

I would definitely encourage her to get an appt and explain the whole situation to the doc. Hopefully they will keep looking until they find the reason for yourmum’s loss of appetite. You definitely need to know what is going on - the sooner the better!

Please let us know how she gets on?

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree that it might not be connected to diabetes.

Those symptoms could be from any number of things.

I would definitely encourage her to get an appt and explain the whole situation to the doc. Hopefully they will keep looking until they find the reason for yourmum’s loss of appetite. You definitely need to know what is going on - the sooner the better!

Please let us know how she gets on?
Hi shes in A and E awaiting results thank you for caring to reply very much appreciated.i an hoping whatever it is is not serious

Reactions: Brunneria

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
maybe she has got some adding conditions... she really need to be excamined for whatever it might be, no appetite can come from a number of conditions, very low in vitamin D, or very low in iron-/ferritin-levels. it can also be from some thyroid condition actually both low or high metabolism, or no appetite combined with fatique can also be related to heart problems of many various kinds, many one can get some madication to help the body get back or almost back to a healthy energetic condition again.. tell her that she probably will be able to get her energy back and appetite for life if the GP finds out what is going on.... or get a referal to the hospital .... many elederly people have more condition but most do learn to cope with them for years...