Confused

donneecox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, hoping someone can help me out. I go to the gym every morning, I’ve tested my glucose levels once I’ve got back from the gym, before I have something to eat. Yesterday it was 9.1 as the day went on it dropped to 6.3. The reading I have for this morning is still high. Can anyone explain why it could be high on a morning but then drops during the day!
Thanks

D

Deleted Account

This is very common and discussed a lot on this forum.
It is called "Dawn Phenomenon": our bodies releasing glucose to help us start the day. This happens with everyone whether they have diabetes or not. The difference we have with diabetes is that our pancreas is not very good at handling that extra glucose.

Take a look around the forum and you'll find some techniques for reducing it.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get this. My morning readings are always high and if I skip breakfast they shoot up throughout the morning. Morning exercise also pushes them up. So I go to the gym in the evening instead. It's a pain as I'd rather go before work and have the evenings free, but my pancreas says otherwise.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, hoping someone can help me out. I go to the gym every morning, I’ve tested my glucose levels once I’ve got back from the gym, before I have something to eat. Yesterday it was 9.1 as the day went on it dropped to 6.3. The reading I have for this morning is still high. Can anyone explain why it could be high on a morning but then drops during the day!
Thanks

Part of that 9.1 morning test after gym will be due to the exercise you did at the gym on an empty stomach.

Do you also test at bedtime and again as soon as you get up? That would tell you more clearly if you have dawn phenomenon in addition to the effects of the exercise.

donneecox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve only got the monitoring system. I have just started checking my levels.
I’ve never checked at bedtime, I will.
Some days I also go the gym on a evening as well as a morning!

I love the thought of eating a small portion of cheese beforehand. I love cheese!
Thanks for your comments and advice.