Health Anxiety

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To some extent it is natural to worry about the consequences of diabetes - after all, it's not possible to be perfect, and a healthy fear of complications is also a good motivating factor. Here are some things I do to combat anxiety about diabetes:

-As well as various physical symptoms, my emotional health is a lot worse when my blood sugars are high. I get feelings of hopelessness ("What if my blood sugar doesn't come down? What if it's like this every day? What if I'm doing damage?"), despair ("I can never get this right") and general grumpiness. When my blood sugar comes down, I feel so much better about things. I learnt not to dwell on my thoughts and feelings when I'm high - often it doesn't reflect how I really feel about things.

-Moving targets. Recently my numbers have been very unstable. Usually I think that 8 is a bit high, but over the last few days I've tried to accept that 8 is a lot better than some of my other numbers, and it's better to be high than low. I know it's not ideal, but I remind myself "This is my decision. I chose to remain at 8 so that I can minimise the risk of lows. I know it's not perfect but I have reasoned out my choice, and it is the best decision I can make in the circumstances. I can try for a better target tomorrow if I'm more stable." So recognising that it's not perfect, but still owning my decision and not feeling guilty about it.

-Compare to other people. I know everyone says not to do this, but it does help for me. Seeing older people with T1 who have no/minimal complications is inspiring. I think "well they must have had terrible numbers since diabetes treatment wasn't so good back then. If they can live this long so can I!"

-Come on the forum. It's normal to have bad days sometimes, it doesn't mean you are a bad diabetic. Seeing everyone else have bad days too can help you feel a bit beter about things.

-Grade yourself on effort, not results. "I tried my best", "I made the wrong decision but I couldn't have known that at the time", "My numbers are high but I'm working to fix the problem", "I exercised/stuck to my diet today" etc. Focus on what you can control - how much effort you put into diabetes - rather than how good your numbers are.

-Think of one small positive every day. It can be something results based eg. "I didn't have any hypos" or effort based "I managed to do my exercise as planned". Reflect on what went right!

Reactions: EllieM

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
Hello everyone,

I posted an introduction in the appropriate forum, but I wanted to talk about what brought me here in the first place.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when I was 16, so I have lived with the condition for 15+ plus years. Generally speaking, I believe I am taking care of the things that are within my control. I exercise regularly (25-30 minutes per day on stationary bike and resistance band training), don't smoke and hardly drink, and my weight is within normal parameters for someone my age and height. My cholesterol is normal, and my blood pressure is exactly where it should be.

However, my hemoglobin A1C has always seemed to fluxuate between 6.6 and 7.6. My most recent test was 7.2, and that was about three weeks ago.

I have found that over the past few years, the effects of high blood sugars seem to be much worse than they were before. I get very nauseous and light headed, with headaches. I am now also not feeling low blood sugars as well as I used to. Up until a year or two ago, I would start to sweat, get very hungry, and it was obvious my sugar was dropping. Now, it is completely different. For example, last night I was watching tv, when all of sudden I was hit with sudden nausea and light headedness. I checked my sugar, and low and behold it was 2.1. This was obviously scary.

Unfortunately, I have also begun reading online more and more about long term complications of Type 1 diabetes. Especially as it relates to nerve damage and cardiovascular disease. If I feel off at all, it seems I now automatically assume the worst. I am especially worried about stroke. My mom had carotid artery stroke when she was in her earlier 30s. In my paranoid mind set, I set out to be screened for such things about 2 years ago. I had an MRI done which showed no issues in my brain, and even went as far as to have a Doppler ultrasound on my carotid, which showed normal blood flow. Even after knowing these things, I still get worried when I am having an off day, such as which I am having now (headaches, etc).

I guess the point of this post is to ask if anyone else deals with anxiety around this disease, and ask how you find comfort. I am trying to do what I can to control the factors within my power, but I still struggle with consistent blood sugars. I have lower ones and high ones as well as ones in between and they all seem to average in the 7s when it comes to the H1C test.

I feel the anxiety is starting to control my life, and that is not what I want, or my family wants. I am just not sure what to do. Should I be really concerned about the times I had headaches even after tests were done? What strategies do you use to combat anxiety about your health?

Looking forward to the discussion.
Fully understand where you're coming from, the harder you try and achieve lower blood sugar levels, the better you think you'll feel in control, but the down side is anxiety kicking in. You worry if your glucose levels go too low, that something bad could happen and (myself) neurotic stuff comes in. Unfortunately I found my (non-diabetic) partner had passed away in bed last year and now I'm ridden with the thought of my nearest and dearest finding me the same, and don't wish for them to go through that. I'm sure it's over-active worry, as you say your health checks OK - 2 weeks ago I though something weird was going on with stroke/heart/dizzy stuff real scary over a few days, but turned out inner-ear infection and tablets sorted me out. Try not to get too desolate and recognise the feelings you have on a bad day, and the optimistic diagnosis you've got back from medical experts on previous occasions. We're all human and do worry about loved ones. You look after yourself too.

Caxialoopy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone,

I posted an introduction in the appropriate forum, but I wanted to talk about what brought me here in the first place.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when I was 16, so I have lived with the condition for 15+ plus years. Generally speaking, I believe I am taking care of the things that are within my control. I exercise regularly (25-30 minutes per day on stationary bike and resistance band training), don't smoke and hardly drink, and my weight is within normal parameters for someone my age and height. My cholesterol is normal, and my blood pressure is exactly where it should be.

However, my hemoglobin A1C has always seemed to fluxuate between 6.6 and 7.6. My most recent test was 7.2, and that was about three weeks ago.

I have found that over the past few years, the effects of high blood sugars seem to be much worse than they were before. I get very nauseous and light headed, with headaches. I am now also not feeling low blood sugars as well as I used to. Up until a year or two ago, I would start to sweat, get very hungry, and it was obvious my sugar was dropping. Now, it is completely different. For example, last night I was watching tv, when all of sudden I was hit with sudden nausea and light headedness. I checked my sugar, and low and behold it was 2.1. This was obviously scary.

Unfortunately, I have also begun reading online more and more about long term complications of Type 1 diabetes. Especially as it relates to nerve damage and cardiovascular disease. If I feel off at all, it seems I now automatically assume the worst. I am especially worried about stroke. My mom had carotid artery stroke when she was in her earlier 30s. In my paranoid mind set, I set out to be screened for such things about 2 years ago. I had an MRI done which showed no issues in my brain, and even went as far as to have a Doppler ultrasound on my carotid, which showed normal blood flow. Even after knowing these things, I still get worried when I am having an off day, such as which I am having now (headaches, etc).

I guess the point of this post is to ask if anyone else deals with anxiety around this disease, and ask how you find comfort. I am trying to do what I can to control the factors within my power, but I still struggle with consistent blood sugars. I have lower ones and high ones as well as ones in between and they all seem to average in the 7s when it comes to the H1C test.

I feel the anxiety is starting to control my life, and that is not what I want, or my family wants. I am just not sure what to do. Should I be really concerned about the times I had headaches even after tests were done? What strategies do you use to combat anxiety about your health?

Looking forward to the discussion.
Hello CartaX2 welcome to the forum, Sorry for delayed response I only just saw your post. I have dealt a little with some anxiety around how to balance the blood sugar levels. I have found the most useful thing for me has been to learn meditation which I have been doing regularly for many years now. I attend a class once a week and usually do 10 to 20 minutes of meditation at the start of each day. Also focussing on my breath helps throughout the day just paying attention to slowly breathing in, hold the breath a millisecond then slowly breathe out and notice the stillness at the end of the out breath. Even just doing that once helps me but if I can do it 2 or 3 times even better. It helps to stop the mind chatter of negative thoughts. When I started this I used to say internally "breathing in I know I'm breathing in...breathing out I know I'm breathing out" If you do all that its hard to also be thinking the negative though at the same time. Worth a try x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @CartaX2 . Welcome to the forum.
First off let me say that I'm no expert in anxiety.
However I do believe that diabetes finds many ways to infiltrate our lives.
After reading your post I thought " wow" here's someone on the ball with his diabetes management and I still believe that now.
HbA1C 6.6 to 7.6 even after 15 yrs. A lot would give anything for those numbers over that period of time.
Regular exercise, no vices, normal cholesterol, blood pressure and apparently a good BMI.
Possible hereditary family conditions all checked and clear. So far you're doing just fine.

So what's going wrong?
Blood sugar sometimes high sometimes low but always average about 7 . Keeping bs levels absolutely flat line is extremely difficult, we all peak and drop. What is your insulin regime? If it's MDI have you considered checking basal and bolus requirements? It's such an easy fix and something we all need to do on a regular basis but all to often let it slip us by.
Hypo unawareness. All to often this comes with running bs levels consistently low over a period of time. Have you tried letting your bs levels run slightly high for a few weeks to help regain hypo awareness?
As for the 2.1. We all get caught out occasionally, especially with those hypos that come on gradually, even more so when we are just chilling out watching TV. Lost count the times I've been caught out like that.
Biggest concern I feel is what you are reading online. It's the most dangerous thing you can do to self diagnosis online. An headache online can be caused by a 101 different problems and by human nature we focus on worse case scenario.
When was the last time you checked online the symptoms of feeling great, having a great day and feeling in total control? Probably never.
As I said earlier I'm no expert ( T1 27 yrs ) in anxiety BUT I feel your diabetes has found your soft underbelly, the chink in your armour. It knows it can't beat you with your overall control so it's found a way of hitting you with negative and dark thoughts.
You need to drag it out into the light, kick it's **** and let it know you have every intention of enjoying life with your wonderful family. You may need help doing this either from people on this forum or people trained in anxiety management but you can and will do it. The fact you are here now proves you want to beat this.
Good luck and stay with us.
That is a great answer and I just wanted to add that your diabetic consultant may be able to refer you to a psychologist to help with the anxiety. In my clinic it is such a common issue alongside depression and eating issues, that they have an in house person there. I don't suffer from anxiety but have heard that mindfulness, meditation and gentle exercise e.g. yoga, pilates, tai chi which engage the mind in performing the exercise and help you produce happy hormones. Getting outdoors may be more uplifting than sitting on that stationary bike...if I have to do things just because I am diabetic and therefore have a higher risk of heart disease then I tend to resent them!