Vitamin D deficiency again associated with increased type 2 diabetes risk

DCUK NewsBot

Being deficient in vitamin D could increase the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, according to a new study. The research from US and South Korean scientists builds on existing studies linking vitamin D deficiency to type 2 diabetes risk, but the mechanisms behind this association are not fully understood. The study team now plans to investigate whether supplementation could prevent type 2 diabetes or the transition of prediabetes to diabetes. A cohort of 903 healthy adults were studied, none of whom had signs of prediabetes or type 2 diabetes between 1997-1999. They were then followed until 2009, with researchers periodically measuring their vitamin D levels and blood sugar levels. The researchers established the minimum healthy vitamin D level to be 30 nanograms per millilitre. Those found to meet that level had one-third of the risk of developing diabetes compared to those below this level, and those with levels of 50 ng/ml had one-fifth of the risk. Those whose vitamin D levels were below 30 ng/ml were found to be up to five times more likely to develop type 2 diabetes compared with the 50 ng/ml group. A strong association exists between vitamin D deficiency and type 2 diabetes risk, and it is believed that vitamin D can improve insulin sensitivity, while some researchers also theorise that vitamin D helps to regulate insulin production in the pancreas. Researchers are still aiming to establish a cause-and-effect or whether this is merely an association, although some studies have shown supplementation can help vitamin D deficient people with type 2 diabetes achieve better blood sugar control. Signs of vitamin D deficiency include bone pain and muscle weakness, and you should visit your GP if you believe you may be vitamin D deficient who can send you for a blood test. You should also consult with your doctor before taking supplements in case this may interfere with any existing medication. The findings of the study appear online in the journal PLOS One.

Continue reading...

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Interesting read.

Mind you my control hasn't improved on Vit D tablets. Although I'm always the exception lately.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
This is nothing new and the topic of VitD in T2 has been well covered for years.

VitD has a strong impact on my blood glucose control, but I'm also a double lung transplant recipient who has to avoid the sun because of immuno suppressants and skin cancer risk. Have had one removed in 20yrs of being a transplant recipient. So, I take a higher dose of vitD then most people do to make up for the lack of sun exposure.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This is nothing new and the topic of VitD in T2 has been well covered for years.

VitD has a strong impact on my blood glucose control, but I'm also a double lung transplant recipient who has to avoid the sun because of immuno suppressants and skin cancer risk. Have had one removed in 20yrs of being a transplant recipient. So, I take a higher dose of vitD then most people do to make up for the lack of sun exposure.
So I'm guessing you've had no vitd3 to compare this?
Was it your immune system stopping you taking it in too or just avoiding sun?

I lose weight in the summer but add in the winter. Bg control is bad in Xmas week but other than that no other bg control difference in winter or summer. Other than lack of exercise and sweating less.
I will see if I can get more vitd3 measured blood tests. They could prove you right for me too.
How often is your vitd3 levels checked by blood test?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
So I'm guessing you've had no vitd3 to compare this?
Was it your immune system stopping you taking it in too or just avoiding sun?

I lose weight in the summer but add in the winter. Bg control is bad in Xmas week but other than that no other bg control difference in winter or summer. Other than lack of exercise and sweating less.
I will see if I can get more vitd3 measured blood tests. They could prove you right for me too.
How often is your vitd3 levels checked by blood test?

I get them checked every 3 to 6 months if I can. I cannot remember the score for the original deficient number, but I sit at a score of 100 nmol/l now days. Taking D is to make up for having to avoid the sun.

The impact on my bg levels was measured on my own device, the difference between taking a set dose and not on bg levels for the same meal (Breakfast) is quite impressive I found. I ate the same things, same amount and used the breakfast meal as to keep the timing the same. I have tested this repeatedly and always got a big difference. Works wonders for me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and if your doc refuses to test for Vit D levels, then you can get your own test done for as little as £29.
They send a kit through the post.
You prick your finger and put drops on the test card
and return the card to the lab by post.

Just google 'vitamin D test'

Some of the best money I ever invested.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Vitamin D is thought to be more of a hormone in the body (ie.a chemical messenger) and in Winter I think most people are assumed to be D deficient but although I take a big dose I don't notice the difference from when I didn't have it. The reference intakes are set at levels aimed at preventing rickets rather than iptimising health so I think a private test sounds like a good idea if your doctor is one of those that doesn't know or care about nutrition.
One puzzle to me though is why in sunny Asia and the Middle East the incidence of type 2 is rising at its steepest? As well as dairy Vitamin D is found in oily fish and oysters so maybe the Vitamin D effect could be linked to an omega 3 vs. 6 imbalance too. Without an interventional type study it is hard to prove and as the article points out no mechanism for the association has been established. If its insulin sensitivity then they would need to measure the insulin response of the cohort at the outset (this would also identify those who are pre diabetic).