Paying VAT on Freestyle Libre

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've contacted both my local ASDA and Boots about buying the Freestyle Libre from them instead of the website. Both told me a price of £63 including VAT. When I queried the VAT both said they had no way of selling it to me without VAT nor could they help me reclaim the VAT.
So what have other people done? I'm hoping to be approved for a prescription but not holding my breath.
Thanks

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At my local Asda pharmacy they have VAT exclusion forms that I fill in when I go buy them, you may have to find the pharmacy manager if the pharmacy staff don't know about it. Note: I don't know whether all have a separate pharmacy or whether some just have a pharmacy counter within the main store, and I don't know if that makes a difference - mine has a separate pharmacy.
(my local Boots didn't know what the Libre was so I got nowhere with them)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd ask to speak to the manager. Tell him/her that you are entitled to VAT relief, HMRC says so, see link below, their competitor, Lloyds, agrees, see second link below, and take with you the exemption form available as a pdf as a link in the third link below. I bought a vat free sensor from Boots, so it seems to be the case that some branches are more clued up than others.

https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vat-relief

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/info/vat-relief

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/vat-exemption.html

I'm half tempted to look into enforcement methods/penalties for refusing to allow a lawful tax relief which seems to amount to unlawfully charging tax but tax law isn't my gig.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've contacted both my local ASDA and Boots about buying the Freestyle Libre from them instead of the website. Both told me a price of £63 including VAT. When I queried the VAT both said they had no way of selling it to me without VAT nor could they help me reclaim the VAT.
So what have other people done? I'm hoping to be approved for a prescription but not holding my breath.
Thanks
I imagine these items can be set up as zero rated in the companies' systems. Why not try emailing the company CEOs to stir things up a bit. A Google search should find results on the ceoemail website

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jkoko56

I have bought testing equipment from Boots and had the VAT deducted (after I asked) without question. It was done automatically on the till. I seem to remember the lady behind the counter had to ask the pharmacist first. I didn't have to sign anything either.

Reactions: dbr10

lollloll

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just bought some test strips for an old machine I use when out on long runs and Tesco pharmacy just took the VAT but only when I asked...sounds like you've been fobbed off...I hope you kept the receipts - Good luck

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the information everyone. "Be Prepared", not that I was very a Boy Scout !

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The pharmacist at my local asda wanted to see my medical exemption certificate and proof ( repeat prescription form) to confirm that I was on diabetes medication and was then happy to deduct VAT

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The pharmacist at my local asda wanted to see my medical exemption certificate and proof ( repeat prescription form) to confirm that I was on diabetes medication and was then happy to deduct VAT

You don't need to be on medication to claim the VAT relief. It applies to all diabetics irrespective of medication.