contour one next Versus glucomen areo

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
I have been using the contour next meter for a couple of months and I love the interactive app that goes with it. But I have been told I can not get the test strips on prescription! which I think is rediculous when I find it an easy concise system that motivates me by results.So the dn suggested I try a glucomen areo as i can get test strips on prescription and has an app for phone/tablet.
Well it arrived today... got to say personally I am not impressed, I keep catching my fingers on the up and down buttons, it keeps switching itself off, it has taken several attempts to NFC pair it to my phone and still don't know if it's done. Oh and it is a new meter but the battery icon was flashing so had to change the batteries. And 10 test strips as a starter, not many is it?
Also the glucomen does not have a fasting marker on it, unless i missed it! Well I did a test before my evening meal and glucomen says 7.2 and contour say 6.7 now this difference i am concerned about. was busy 2 hours after so it was 2 3/4 hrs later and both had same result ( 13.8) I know this is sky high,( high carb meal mashed potatoes, baked beans and sausages but someone else cooked and couldn't really refuse ) my own fault. I will continue to compare both meters for afew days if I can get some test strips.
So folks any glucomen areo users got any advice that will convince me to use it, I only said i would try it because strips are available on my surgery's list, I really do love my contour next but strips are expensive!

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
glucomen says 7.2 and contour say 6.7 now this difference i am concerned about.
I would say that this is not a big enough difference to be concerned about, well within normal meter paramenters.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/iso-accuracy-standards.html

I think before you make your decision you need to know how many strips you might get on prescription and if it will be enough.

I purchase my contour next strips on ebay in bulk packs and never pay more than £10 for 50.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
I purchase my contour next strips on ebay in bulk packs and never pay more than £10 for 50.
So you use the contour next? Yes I buy my strips from ebay too. I am waiting for more to arrive, the glucomen design seems very small for holding with my fat fingers haha. And this morning the test strip err3 message ment a wasted strip because not enough blood was taken! I will give it a good go but not convinced.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the Next one and really like the app on my phone. In fact it got me back to testing after about two years of not bothering much and losing my way a bit.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
I use the Next one and really like the app on my phone. In fact it got me back to testing after about two years of not bothering much and losing my way a bit.
exactly my reason for using this meter. fell off the rails regarding control but using this excellent phone app does encourage me . just a shame can't get strips on script. :-(

dogsmummy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use the glucomen one and only got 10 test strips with it but i rang doctor and had a new pot of strips by next day. 50 in a pot. I now always keep a pot "in hand" !! I found the phone app hard to do and like you i am not sure if it worked or not. I did write my readings down for two weeks though in the book that came with it and found this really helpful. I hope you get used to it as its better to be able to get a prescription for strips and lancets. Use the lancets from my old one and they fit better!!

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For iPhone you nerd to add a dongle to the bottom of. The Areo, for it to pair correctly.