Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No Pedair ... at one hour, you might see a rise (most would) but at two, a fall based of course on what you ate. They are not diabetic figures so remind me, what was your HbA1c?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My readings today are strange
FBG 5.9 2hrs after brekkie 5.7
Pre lunch 6.4 2hrs 5.8
Pre dinner 6.1 2.5 hrs 5.2
I’m new to this so ,I thought levels should go up after 2 hrs

Peadair - Well done on making a difference to your blood sugars.

Many people can see a reduced number after eating, particularly after breakfast. That's often due to Dawn Phenomenon, and sometimes just due to breakfast not being incredibly substantial. It can happen with meals too where the carbs are quite low.

My feeling would be it's likely one or more things are in play:
- you are eating very low carb, and therefor there's not much in way of quick blood glucose on offer for your body to deal with.
- you are eating lots of fat which takes longer to show on the blood glucose meter
- you are pretty empty leading up to meals times and your liver is dumping it's stored glucose into your bloodstream before lunch and that's being picked up on your pre-meal test. When that happens, whatever you eat next will be used by your body to restore it's liver reserves. I liken it to my liver being a bit like a rechargeable battery. I run it down, then top it up again, as soon as it is offerred fuel (what we eat, as opposed to electricity).

And, of course, it could be combinations of those potential causes.

Are you feeling well on those numbers, and are you trimming up, quite quickly?

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
No Pedair ... at one hour, you might see a rise (most would) but at two, a fall based of course on what you ate. They are not diabetic figures so remind me, what was your HbA1c?
Hi thanks for the reply on 26/02/18 I was diagnosed with a HbA1c of 48 @ 6.5%

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I’m feelin great I only started trying last Friday my average is 5.8 . Only the doc told me . I wouldn’t even know I had anything wrong my HbA1c was 48 when diagnosed lipids were all good

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Many people can see a reduced number after eating, particularly after breakfast. That's often due to Dawn Phenomenon, and sometimes just due to breakfast not being incredibly substantial. It can happen with meals too where the carbs are quite low.

- you are eating very low carb, and therefor there's not much in way of quick blood glucose on offer for your body to deal with.
- you are eating lots of fat which takes longer to show on the blood glucose meter
- you are pretty empty leading up to meals times and your liver is dumping it's stored glucose into your bloodstream before lunch and that's being picked up on your pre-meal test. When that happens, whatever you eat next will be used by your body to restore it's liver reserves. I liken it to my liver being a bit like a rechargeable battery. I run it down, then top it up again, as soon as it is offerred fuel (what we eat, as opposed to electricity).

Talk about borderline ....
abdolutely just need to keep it there

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I would be seriously annoyed at that Peadair ... ropeable in fact. Bright side, you'll be well under that line come next time. I'd buy you a beer and we could both cry into it, but a bit far for me to fly and shout you one.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Talk about borderline ....
I would be seriously annoyed at that Peadair ... ropeable in fact. Bright side, you'll be well under that line come next time. I'd buy you a beer and we could both cry into it, but a bit far for me to fly and shout you one.
No bother bud . I don’t do the beer anymore just the red wine and vodka ... and the occasional malt whiskey . Irish of course

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
In the morning, my BG is 6.2-6.8 then I have Soya yogurt with blueberries and raspberries (200g) after two how’s it drops to 5.2-5.6. Lunch is normally a sandwich with Crisp and chocolate but if I’ve managed to cook then it’s fish an veg, both of these do not raise my BG by more than 1%. My biggest problem is dinner by the time I get something to eat, my BG is normally 4.9-5.2 I’m shakey and eat fast and often bad. It’s not unusual to go to bed with BG if 7. I’ve tried nuts and fruit during lunch and dinner but nothing seems to work so any tips would help.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I haven’t been doin this long enough to be able to give advice . I know I try to keep really low carb . Between 30 to 40 a day . Like tonight I had 4 lamb loin chops and green beans in butter , cup of tea . 2 .5 hrs later I was 5.1 from 5.9 . But I don’t get shakey . I’ve just had a cheese sandwich on livlife bread so we’ll see what it’s like about 10 pm when I’ll be goin to bed

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
I haven’t been doin this long enough to be able to give advice . I know I try to keep really low carb . Between 30 to 40 a day . Like tonight I had 4 lamb loin chops and green beans in butter , cup of tea . 2 .5 hrs later I was 5.1 from 5.9 . But I don’t get shakey . I’ve just had a cheese sandwich on livlife bread so we’ll see what it’s like about 10 pm when I’ll be goin to bed
Hey matey if I had your numbers I'd be exstatic! I am lucky to get under 10 on fasting morning test and average 7-8 so you must be doing something right hunni. My numbers have gone down recently by being part of a drug trial where it is not known if i am taking a placebo or the real thing, but my bg levels are down in the low 7's so I am a happy bunny.
Less stress about your bg and keep up the low carbing, right way to go.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hey matey if I had your numbers I'd be exstatic! I am lucky to get under 10 on fasting morning test and average 7-8 so you must be doing something right hunni. My numbers have gone down recently by being part of a drug trial where it is not known if i am taking a placebo or the real thing, but my bg levels are down in the low 7's so I am a happy bunny.
Less stress about your bg and keep up the low carbing, right way to go.
Thanks Hpetal for the encouragement I’m honna keep up the low carbing till I’m old and grey and can’t chew the steak any more . Thanks again

Reactions: Alison Campbell