steel toe cap boots

madferret

Type of diabetes
Type 2
my employer insists i have to wear steel toe cap boots (ppe) at work.
fair enough i can understand that - but two months ago the sole of one boot split meaning my foot was soaking wet as soon as i stepped out.
i asked for new boots but have been told the budget is more important and i'll get new boots 'soon'.
i work outdoors and have to shovel snow etc.
any links i can show my employer for him to take seriously my need not to have one foot constantly frozen and soaking and what damage it may be doing?

primmers

Madferret, you might be better posting this question in the Employment bit of the board

viewforum.php?f=8

Is your workplace unionised - if so the union should help. It's actually pretty scabby behaviour that any worker is expected to work with cold wet feet, even non diabetic bods can have problems with their feet. Try the Health and Safety Executive or your local CAB. Sorry I can't be of more practical assistance.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Quite right, Primmers, that's a Health & Safety issue for everyone, not just diabetics. If your job calls for protective clothing then your employer has to either buy it or give you an allowance to buy your own. That's in my experience - every employer I've had has done one or the other.

Viv

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
PPE Must be fit for purpose also as your diabetic must take this into account for PPE

If your boot has a split in the sole then its not fit for purpose

quote from
Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992 (as amended).

Has the state of health of those who will be wearing it been taken into
account?
Is properly assessed before use to ensure it is suitable;
is maintained and stored properly
Make sure suitable replacement PPE is always readily available.

for info see
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg174.pdf

See your union rep or call yourlocal HSE office for enforcement

for full Equipment at Work Regulations see
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/2966/contents/made

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you can get new or resoled boots soon. Regardless of diabetes, PPE footwear should be suitable for purpose. I'd get my union onto it.
In the meantime, for your own comfort, you might want to consider wearing waterproof socks - Sealskinz are the best know brand in UK. Cheaper than new boots for now.
Again, not an ideal soloution, but like many people who compete in mountain marathons, I carry dry socks to wear inside plastic bags inside wet shoes overnight, to avoid need to carry spare shoes.

runner22

I am sure that it is a safety issue. Sure it stinks having a frozen foot, but what if something fell on it? Your employer could be liable. Does your employer reimburse you for the cost of the boots?

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
runner22
what if something fell on it? Your employer could be liable.

Your employer can also be liable , if you get a foot infection /sores from being Made to use
defective or ill fitting boots

if boots /any PPE supplied harm or give you discomfort
you can not be made to use them

Your employer must provide you PPE you do not have to pay for it
You do not need to use PPE unless employer provides it however still must be fit for use

If your working in the wet and also risk harm from something falling on your foot
should you NOT be supplied steel toe cap wellington boots ?
and normal pair of steel toe cap boot for dry work ?

Ps You can get Kevlar toe cap boots now 8)

Call your
Union
CAB
Local Heath & Safety office ( Good excuse inspect your firms H&S)