diet coke please

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i always ask too but according to my sister in law too its not always the case dont think he will be having drinks from the pump again which is a shame as he loves them

iHs

What food outlet are we referring to here - McD, PH, BK or what??

I'm sure WatchDog would be interested in following this up especially because of the fact diabetes is now becoming a more common illness than it was 10yrs ago and drinking non diet drinks can cause bg levels to go up big time. I don't drink diet coke/pepsi that often and I wouldn't be able to notice the difference really but this thread has now made me think about asking for coffee instead.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i know what u mean, i wasnt sure if i was allowed to name and shame hence why i never said which one but this was mcd i am wondering if they are all just as bad tho

anna marie

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Does anyone think it would be worth contacting these establishments and getting them to make one of there pumps a dedicated diet fizzies only.
From a technical point of view they would only have to change the syrems and the labelling which would benefit all diabetic and also people slimming anyway :idea:
infact some pub/eating houses could do the same :idea: :idea:
Thats my brain wave for the month Doh :!:

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
in fact if the whole forum got behind it the diet cup could have the forums web address on the lids so people check out the website and be a household colour for diet drinks. Thus promoting them selves for a standard and this site for free (simples) :idea: :idea: :idea: (find brain wave .com pmsl@ me)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What an absoutely fabulous idea.

calisto51

Hazza you will find diet drinks are twice as expensive as the normal variety in Goa, also all drinks are bottled it is very rare to see soft drinks on draft

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya! This happpened to me in IKEA - I even asked them before getting the diet coke if they were sure it was diet and explained how important it was as I am diabetic. The assistant assured me it was diet - I drank it and my BGs almost immediately rose into the 20s! I complained to IKEA customer services and they said - 'Oh. It must have been a mistake, it happens sometimes'. They then suggested I bring my own bottled diet drink with me in future and just tell the resaurant staff that I need it as I'm diabetic. Not ideal situation, but probably the best advice! Perhaps you could take a bottle or can of diet coke for Dylan next time you're eating out, explain why and ask them for a paper cup to use with it - that way Dylan won't have to miss out.

Smidge

jaykay

The last time I went out to a party, I did exactly that. I was so sick of drinking water ( I HATE diet coke, or fat coke come to that! ) and had found to my amazement that not many pubs, hotels or restaurants do any other kind of diet drink. So I stuck 2 cream sodas in my bag and asked for a glass full of ice. I was ready to fight my corner but no-one seemed too bothered.

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Hi All
The problem with the drinks pumps is not on the technical side, each drink has its own feed tube on the mulit type dispenser, so there should be no cross contamination as it were from full fat drinks,
The same for the individual drinks dispensers, they are just single tubes, so no chance there.

It all comes down to the staff connecting up the correct type of concentrate for the dispenser itself, if the person refilling it puts the standard drink concentrate into diet dispenser no one could tell untill its tasted,
As suggested above the only answer is to buy bottled or take your own drinks,
But i also want to congratulate you all for being so self aware and taking care that everything going in to our lovely diabetic bodies is as safe as it can be, as with eveything its always best to ask,
I am always of the opinion there are no stupid questions, except the one thats not asked
have a great day all
Crofty

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi all
just thought i would say have just been out and had drinks from a pump so tried the blood tester strip trick and it worked a treat, dylans drink registered 0.7 where as my partners full fat coke was just hi so always good to know something works for future reference lol

anna marie

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Very handy trick. Went to pizzahut and while obviously being bad and having a pizza I still had diet pepsi but what came was full fat so told them to get it swapped. She looked at me like hes having a large pizza but demanding diet juice :lol:

becki

Hi,

I bought diastix from boots just under a fiver for quite a few ( so fair enough there meant for pee but it works) I often test the juice myself.

My boys always have diluting juice we went into a weatherspoons and i dipped there drinks out of curiosity and it went sky high for sugar.

It is also how I test when I go for a night out.

Becki x