Seeking Info On FreeStyle Libre Please !

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all , I’m wanting to find out how to go about getting / purchasing my son the FreeStyle Libre monitor and sensor (s) . I have looked into how they work etc and my son is looking very positive about it given it will give him a far easier time with all the sports he does and also at this current time all the honeymoon hypos he’s having . I have emailed my nurses asking the same but I thought who better to ask those who probably use for themselves Any info will be awesome thanks

D

Deleted Account

When it was announced the Libre would be available on the NHS, Diabetes UK asked me to write a blog based on my experience.
This is what I wrote: https://blogs.diabetes.org.uk/?p=9247

I would add that I am not a Libre user (apart from a two sensor trial) because I found it to be inaccurate for me. There seems to be varying degrees of accuracy experiences around the forum: with many many many many many posts about it.

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When it was announced the Libre would be available on the NHS, Diabetes UK asked me to write a blog based on my experience.

I would add that I am not a Libre user (apart from a two sensor trial) because I found it to be inaccurate for me. There seems to be varying degrees of accuracy experiences around the forum: with many many many many many posts about it.

Wow thanks I’ll check it out now !

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Logistically: Abbot aren't accepting any new customers via their web site, so the only option you have to get hold of the reader is via your DSN/clinic giving them out free/trials etc. If you or rather your son has a compatible phone (android with NFC chip or iphone 7 or higher) you could purchase the sensors over the counter at a pharmacy and use the abbots libre app.

Reactions: Babydee00001

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Logistically: Abbot aren't accepting any new customers via their web site, so the only option you have to get hold of the reader is via your DSN/clinic giving them out free/trials etc. If you or rather your son has a compatible phone (android with NFC chip or iphone 7 or higher) you could purchase the sensors over the counter at a pharmacy and use the abbots libre app.

Thank u , yes I just read on the other users blog about you can use a smart phone app . That’s great , yes when we went for our check up they had offered a free trial one but at that time we was so newly diagnosed our diabetic doc said just get our heads around the basics first which I must admit was the right thing to do I feel . Now as I say he is finding it a struggle in his sports and being out of the class very two mins as School I just feel he really could benefit from it . Then am I right in thinking it will be just pricks for meal times and bed ? Thank u for reply

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Great informative read thank u

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Babydee00001 Although Abbott are not taking new customers via the website, if you are self funding you can purchase it from some Boots/Asda and other pharmacy outlets.

I self fund the libre as I exercise and it helps me as I can see the direction my BG levels are travelling and the speed, it allows me to continue exercising as I can scan as I go without stopping but also allows me to see if I am going low to take preventative action, it also allows me to see what my overnight BG levels are like and as a parent you would have peace of mind being able to scan your son whilst he sleeps to see how he's doing. I can see patterns and reactions to bolus calculations and know if my bolus ratios are right and if indeed the dose covered the carbs eaten. The benefits of using this system to me are huge despite the inaccuracies vs a BG meter.

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Babydee00001 Although Abbott are not taking new customers via the website, if you are self funding you can purchase it from some Boots/Asda and other pharmacy outlets.

I self fund the libre as I exercise and it helps me as I can see the direction my BG levels are travelling and the speed, it allows me to continue exercising as I can scan as I go without stopping but also allows me to see if I am going low to take preventative action, it also allows me to see what my overnight BG levels are like and as a parent you would have peace of mind being able to scan your son whilst he sleeps to see how he's doing. I can see patterns and reactions to bolus calculations and know if my bolus ratios are right and if indeed the dose covered the carbs eaten. The benefits of using this system to me are huge despite the inaccuracies vs a BG meter.

Oh great yes this is exactly how we plan to use it for him , it really does seem as though it will be a game changer , I have read both good and bad reviews and I can see each of them fairly and just , I guess it’s a case of trial and seeing if indeed it will be what we’re looking for and if not at least we gave it a shot . I shall have a look into ASDA and boots thank u . Before I do anything I’ll wait to hear back from our nurses ... fingers crossed we will be able to trial !! I just checked my phone and it didn’t compatible with the Libre App ... that’s a bummer but hey , let’s just see how our luck is !! Thank u for reply

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thank u , yes I just read on the other users blog about you can use a smart phone app . That’s great , yes when we went for our check up they had offered a free trial one but at that time we was so newly diagnosed our diabetic doc said just get our heads around the basics first which I must admit was the right thing to do I feel . Now as I say he is finding it a struggle in his sports and being out of the class very two mins as School I just feel he really could benefit from it . Then am I right in thinking it will be just pricks for meal times and bed ? Thank u for reply

Will have to agree with your diabetic Doc on this one. Really need to get your head around the basics first.
How long has your son been diagnosed?
It is an amazing device for spotting trends and what effect certain food is having on your diabetes. I have been on it for a few months now and the accuracy for me is brilliant, always within 10% of finger pricking. I still finger prick to bolus for food and if I am having an unusual high/low

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Will have to agree with your diabetic Doc on this one. Really need to get your head around the basics first.
How long has your son been diagnosed?
It is an amazing device for spotting trends and what effect certain food is having on your diabetes. I have been on it for a few months now and the accuracy for me is brilliant, always within 10% of finger pricking. I still finger prick to bolus for food and if I am having an unusual high/low

Hello yes we still will prick for his meals and to double check for highs / lows . We was diagnosed at the very beginning of March , we have been calorie counting almost all of that time and apart from his honeymoon period hypos his levels have been really consistent thankfully . He’s just been getting a little tearful the last few days about how much finger pricking he has to keep doing , what with the hypos and all the sports he takes part in at school and out . Also he doesn’t like any extra attention love him so being called out of class and p.e every two mins is just getting to him . Anyway I just had a email back from our nurses and she is going to bring on along on our check up at the end of week !! So chuffed I really am he will be thrilled when I tell him . You know the care the diabetic team give is absolutely impeccable they have been truly wonderful. Thank u for reply

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This might all be pie in the sky depending on your circumstances, The other benefit of using the mobile phone app, although your phone isn't 'scan' compatible if your sons was, you can still get his readings on your phone using the libreview app on yours - so you can keep an eye on his levels (so long as he scans!) when you're not together. (What 10yr old boy wouldn't want a nice new shiny iphone 7 or 10!!!)

As already stated get the basics covered first, you might find you and he will suffer information overload as well as irregular readings while he may still be in the honeymoon period, thats one thing the Libre doesn't do well with is rapidly changing levels and I can guarantee as a newly diagnosed person levels will be all over the place - you just don't get to see them often when doing finger prick snap-shots, but a constant plotted graph will drive you and him crazy ;)

Wishing you and him the best, good that it appears you're getting a reader, just be aware of my above paragraph.

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This might all be pie in the sky depending on your circumstances, The other benefit of using the mobile phone app, although your phone isn't 'scan' compatible if your sons was, you can still get his readings on your phone using the libreview app on yours - so you can keep an eye on his levels (so long as he scans!) when you're not together. (What 10yr old boy wouldn't want a nice new shiny iphone 7 or 10!!!)

As already stated get the basics covered first, you might find you and he will suffer information overload as well as irregular readings while he may still be in the honeymoon period, thats one thing the Libre doesn't do well with is rapidly changing levels and I can guarantee as a newly diagnosed person levels will be all over the place - you just don't get to see them often when doing finger prick snap-shots, but a constant plotted graph will drive you and him crazy ;)

Wishing you and him the best, good that it appears you're getting a reader, just be aware of my above paragraph.

Thank u for the advice !! Good to know , and yeah we had toyed with idea of getting him a phone for safety anyway but I’d kinda hoped this i phone 6s would be the one and I could keep my upgrade haha we shall see ... I wonder if she will be bringing the meter to trail too or just the sensor thanks for your reply

Reactions: slip

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should get a reader with the trial sensor (or else the sensor won't be much use) and you keep this. Bit of a loss leader hoping you'll keep getting sensors.

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should get a reader with the trial sensor (or else the sensor won't be much use) and you keep this. Bit of a loss leader hoping you'll keep getting sensors.

Oh good I thought the same but the way she worded the email I wondered lol . Thank u for your reply

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
You will get a reader and usually 1 sensor with the trial.
Unfortunately the Iphone 6S will not work with the sensor due to the NFC not being compatible. It needs an Iphone 7 or above I believe.
Good luck with the trial. Let us know what you think of it :)

Babydee00001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will get a reader and usually 1 sensor with the trial.
Unfortunately the Iphone 6S will not work with the sensor due to the NFC not being compatible. It needs an Iphone 7 or above I believe.
Good luck with the trial. Let us know what you think of it :)

Thank u :)))

Reactions: porl69