19 Years Old, Worried about Type II

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Now that you have calmed down a bit @RuinedMyHealth there is the possibility that we can talk sensibly about any problems you may have.
It is highly unlikely that you have type 2 diabetes unless there is a family history of it, your parents or a sibling have it from similar age. As I said earlier, take one day at a time and improve your diet. Try more vegetables, even now I indulge in a lot of 'one pot' meals and they are perfectly healthy, varied by what is in season and using different meats with a tin of tomatoes as a base and various herbs and spices to give variety.
You have had a lovely day for getting out for a walk, enjoying an assortment of salads, considering your next essay/project, meeting up with friends etc. I hope you have enjoyed it. Tonight, try to get a good sleep, if not then tomorrow indulge in some lavender oil (one or two drops on a pillow) or some 'It Works' pillow spray. Everything always seems worse when you are tired and your mind keeps going round in the same circles. Learn to shortcut the circles.
Peeing a lot, leads to dehydration, leads to a dry mouth, leads to .. coffee? which makes you more dehydrated. Before you have your next mug of coffee have a cup of water. You may find that you should have a decaff in the evenings.
Please come back tomorrow and tell us what your doctor has to say.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Phoenix55 Thank you for your reassuring words - I have had 3 cups of caffeinated green tea today, which could explain the number of times I have urinated today, as I have also been drinking water. Although my mouth still remains dry, I realise that I have had high stress levels today, with it being the day before my blood test. Hopefully everything is OK at the test tomorrow so I can finally clear my head properly, and get on with eating healthier, without the anxiety that comes from worrying about health all day every day.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had 3 cups of caffeinated green tea today
In my experience green tea is very powerful stuff. I can drink quite a few cups of real coffee without problems, but one cup of green tea and I feel really jittery. Maybe experiment with sticking to non-daffeinated beverages for a few days and see if that makes a difference? NB Particularly avoid Red Bull!!!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
In my experience green tea is very powerful stuff. I can drink quite a few cups of real coffee without problems, but one cup of green tea and I feel really jittery. Maybe experiment with sticking to non-daffeinated beverages for a few days and see if that makes a difference? NB Particularly avoid Red Bull!!!
Let us know how it goes - best of luck!
Sorry @Alexandra100 My screen suddenly disappeared onto a way out part of the community! I eventually came back to where I thought I was, but.....

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
@Phoenix55 Thank you for your reassuring words - I have had 3 cups of caffeinated green tea today, which could explain the number of times I have urinated today, as I have also been drinking water. Although my mouth still remains dry, I realise that I have had high stress levels today, with it being the day before my blood test. Hopefully everything is OK at the test tomorrow so I can finally clear my head properly, and get on with eating healthier, without the anxiety that comes from worrying about health all day every day.
Let us know how it goes - best of luck!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. First don't worry or panic; we've all been thru it in different ways. From what you say there is little you could have done to avoid getting to the stage where a diabetes diagnosis is likely. Having a healthy weight and only 19 yrs old implies the likelihood that any diagnosis would be Type 1 and not Type 2. Let us know how the visit to the GP goes and we can give you the befit of our varied experience. Meanwhile rest assured that either type can be well managed these days thru diet and medication so the long-term prognosis is very good.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys, just checking in again - had my blood glucose levels tested today, and the results came back as 5.3 (at a time when I was very anxious), so the doctor explained that although I need to eat slightly healthier and get out more, I am not diabetic, and at low risk of developing it. Thanks for all your support guys, it really helped a lot, and I will use this a starting point for a healthier life.

The people on this forum are inspiring people, and I wish you all the best with your journey - both in health, and in life in general. :):):)

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys, just checking in again - had my blood glucose levels tested today, and the results came back as 5.3 (at a time when I was very anxious), so the doctor explained that although I need to eat slightly healthier and get out more, I am not diabetic, and at low risk of developing it. Thanks for all your support guys, it really helped a lot, and I will use this a starting point for a healthier life.

The people on this forum are inspiring people, and I wish you all the best with your journey - both in health, and in life in general. :):):)

Well done, clearly your body is in a good place and hopefully your mind is in a much better place now!

Reactions: Freema

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I should add that even if your blood sugar is taking it's first steps down the "wrong path", long before diagnosis, this forum is a great place to be for info. So while it's tempting to say "hope to never see you again" in a well-meaning way, this forum may prove a very useful source of info in helping you run far away from blood sugar problems in the future, especially in terms of improving your diet and finding alternatives to junk food etc.

Reactions: RuinedMyHealth
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should add that even if your blood sugar is taking it's first steps down the "wrong path", long before diagnosis, this forum is a great place to be for info. So while it's tempting to say "hope to never see you again" in a well-meaning way, this forum may prove a very useful source of info in helping you run far away from blood sugar problems in the future, especially in terms of improving your diet and finding alternatives to junk food etc.

Definitely, I won't be a stranger here, everyone seems great, and I'll be using the forum to find healthy recipes and snacks in the next few weeks! :)

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Why wait? You should have started eating more healthily at the weekend when you were worried, putting it off for the next few days/weeks is not good. We all need to make small steps to change parts of our lives that have become ingrained, but putting off making those steps means that we cease to grow, to learn, to become the best we can be. Stop procrastinating, blaming yourself and others and start making the changes to a healthier lifestyle. I have always loathed exercise, but the sight of my exercise system in the living room beside the TV is a constant reminder. When I have done my routine for the day I can look at it with confidence knowing that my chore is done for the day.
Perhaps a good place to start is to change your intake of caffeine. Reduce by one at a time, no 'cold turkey', try some other teas and decaff.