Higher blood glucose levels in morning?

sarahellen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
arrogance
Hi everyone.
Can anyone tell me why it is that testing in the morning gives a higher reading than 1 or 2 hours after eating|?
I have, a few times now, tested at 7am = 6.9 then 8am = 9.5 without ingesting anything.
tested today about 7am = 8.1 then 8am = 9.5 (without ingesting but with a walk)

I am confused. can anyone shed any light on this
many thanks.

PS I am on metformin 2000mgper day and victoza 1.2mgper day.

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Hi Sarah
I must admit i have never tested for this but lots of people on the forum have a similar reaction, the general concensus is that when you wake and your body is running on "empty" as it were because you haven't had food yet then your liver will dump some glucose into your blood stream in preparation for the days work, try having a breakfast as soon as you can when you wake, this can top up your fuel tank and let your body use the food for energy
just a personal opinion, but i find i function much better if I have my breakfast as soon as i can after i wake
give it a try and let us know
Crofty

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sarah,

I echo what Crofty has said and best to eat first thing on rising to avoid the dreaded liver dump.

Nigel

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Hi also PMS543
Interesting article that also explains why levels are already elevated for some people on waking, and continue to do so untill the "Fuel" is topped up,
i learned more in the past year or so on this forum than i did in the years after my diagnosis, its a wealth and store of good information for sure!!!
Crofty

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the Dawn Phenomenon. It's a PITA. Some people find a Glass of Red late at night helps (great if you like red Wine!), while some find that eating something before bed helps.

For me (a lo-carber) I've found that a medium sized snack around 10pm (bed at 10:30/11:00pm)(couple of mini pepperami's and some coleslaw or cheese) seems to help a little.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya! It's a right pain isn't it! I used to have this problem ( I'm on insulin now which has fixed it. ) One night, I woke up every two hours to test because I wanted to see when BG started rising (it was about 5.00am for me). The things I found helped were:

1. Red wine before bed = lower BG in morning. This was the most effective, but clearly not always what I wanted!

2. Snack before bed = higher BG at bedtime = lower BG in morning. Effective, but just reversed my problem with having high BG at night instead of morning!

3. Wake up early (about 6.00am) and eat low-carb snack immediately. This seemed to nip it in the bud and bring it back under control - I guess if I'd woken at 5.00am it might have been more effective, but that was a step too far! I used to bake low-carb muffins and keep one by the bed for this purpose!

Good luck!

Smidge