Hello, type 2 question

Lu88

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hello,

I’ve been following this forum for the past week and have found it such interesting reading.

I panicked last week after I got a blood test form that said high risk diabetes due to high bmi. I am very overweight and nothing I do at the moment seems to be shifting it.

I went for blood test and asked the nurse to do a bg test on me.

I was there for an hour trying to get blood out of me for blood test.

I didn’t work so we gave up and did bg test. I was 5.2. She was like yep that’s good off you go. I love my nurse dearly and she’d say if she was concerned.

I was quite happy with that and went on my way. It wasn’t until I got to the car I thought about it.

I had drunk almost 3 litres of water in the hour and a half before I did bg test. I know as a teacher when a diabetic child (type 2) was high we would get him to drink lots of water retesting every 10 mins until the readings were satisfactory.

So is my 5.2 a true reflection of my bg levels? Would my 3 litres of water have much of an impact?
I’m back next week to try again with bloods. I am having my Hc something levels tested.

I’m being tested because last week I passed out for no apparent reason.

And I often wake up craving something sweet- I know this is sugar addiction! Well I’ve told myself it’s sugar addiction. Lol

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Lucy

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am having my Hc something levels tested.
This is the HbA1c test and should reflect the average level of glucose in your blood over the past 3 months, approximately. The advantage of this test is that it is an average, so however much or little you drink and eat beforehand won't matter. IMO 5.2 is not a bad level for a spot check, as your nurse said. So if the A1c test comes out well too you can stop worrying that you are diabetic.

However, as you know, losing some weight can only be good for you in many different ways. The same low carb diet that lowers blood glucose and has been adopted by many on these Forums, might help you lose weight more successfully. Jenny Ruhl, a much respected writer on diabetes who is diabetic herself and also has struggled with her weight, has written a book that might help you whether you turn out to have raised bg or not:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diet-101-T...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1524514869&sr=1-1

Lu88

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you so much for your replies.

I was pleased with 5.2 and then sat and thought about it. Lol I am a worrier.

I think this forum is amazing and so many knowledgable people in one place.

Regardless of whether I have diabetes or not I would quite like to stay on for my own benefit as a teacher with children who have diabetes.

So my HbA1c should inidicate if there is an issue? Will they tell me if I’m pre diabetes?

Thank you again,

Lucy

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know as a teacher when a diabetic child (type 2) was high we would get him to drink lots of water retesting every 10 mins until the readings were satisfactory.
Really? That sounds more like torture than a treatment to me (though I may be wrong)

Lu88

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yep. That’s what was on his care plan; literally downing 2-3 glasses of water. If still high get him to run around the playground a couple of times. He was my first diabetic so I don’t know.
It did seem to work though.
He was very predictable with his readings- you could tell from his behaviour whether he was low or high.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So my HbA1c should inidicate if there is an issue? Will they tell me if I’m pre diabetes?

An HbA1c is used to diagnose diabetes, and will also show if you are pre-diabetic. You must ask for the print outs of the test results or you may never be told what's what, and you need to know the numbers. You are entitled to the print outs.

Lu88

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
An HbA1c is used to diagnose diabetes, and will also show if you are pre-diabetic. You must ask for the print outs of the test results or you may never be told what's what, and you need to know the numbers. You are entitled to the print outs.

Well I didn’t even know I was classed as high risk until I saw it on my bloods form- a wee bit annoyed!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever I could get away with going back to eating a low carb diet I used to drop weight quite quickly - when I did it the first time I was losing a Kg a day - half a stone in three days, which was far too fast and made me go dizzy, but all the diet sheets given to me by the doctor or dieticians were worse than useless.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @Lu88 - Could I ask why you had drunk 3ltrs of water in the lead up to your test? Were you ultra thirsty, orr trying to ensure you were well hydrated for your blood test, or something else?

The random reading of 5.2 is hopeful, although the HbA1c will give much better indicators. Should you have blood sugar issues; like diabetes or pre-diabetes, the HbA1c is pretty likely to show it up.

Fingers crossed for you.