So I took the plunge and asked for a follow up HbA1c.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
This was 6 months on from the last when it was 43. At that point [last October] I was given the lecture by the DN and told to eat as per the Eatwell Plate until I told her not to waste her time giving me that nonsense. At which point her tune changed and she went into Low Carbing mode. However low carbing hasn't really come to much despite good intentions -[ I blame the awful winter weather ...] and I was worried things might have deteriorated but in fact the result was the same - 43.

So where do I go from here? I don't need to lose weight although neither do I want to gain any, and I am now almost 76. I am considered pretty fit and am always on the go and walk the dog daily. I do have arthritis in my knee so need to walk to keep that at bay. Do I continue as I am or will these figures get worse over time. 5 years ago when I had an NHS check the HbA1c was 41 and the GP at that time said things would get worse; I suppose in fact they have though actually I was worried that they might have been a lot worse than 43 and it has taken 5 years to get here. Do I deny all the things I enjoy eating and cooking? I am assuming this borderline diagnosis is largely due to old age which I can't do much about, coupled with some dodgy genes as well. My grandmother developed T2 at roughly the same age as I am back in the mid 1950's and did have a bad time with leg ulcers, she also had arthritis and was unable to walk well so took little exercise The last 5 years of her life were pretty miserable but she did live to 90 .

I just wondered what others would do in my shoes?.

Reactions: pardalope

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is nothing wrong with an HbA1c of 43, and as you have remained stable for the last 6 months I wouldn't change a thing, if it were me. Just keep doing what you are doing, and keep testing so you can look out for any deterioration. If you notice any upward trends analyse the reasons why - things like carb-creep for example. You are not your grandmother, so why worry the same will happen to you? There is no reason to believe it will. Well done for staying stable. :)

pardalope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This was 6 months on from the last when it was 43. At that point [last October] I was given the lecture by the DN and told to eat as per the Eatwell Plate until I told her not to waste her time giving me that nonsense. At which point her tune changed and she went into Low Carbing mode. However low carbing hasn't really come to much despite good intentions -[ I blame the awful winter weather ...] and I was worried things might have deteriorated but in fact the result was the same - 43.

So where do I go from here? I don't need to lose weight although neither do I want to gain any, and I am now almost 76. I am considered pretty fit and am always on the go and walk the dog daily. I do have arthritis in my knee so need to walk to keep that at bay. Do I continue as I am or will these figures get worse over time. 5 years ago when I had an NHS check the HbA1c was 41 and the GP at that time said things would get worse; I suppose in fact they have though actually I was worried that they might have been a lot worse than 43 and it has taken 5 years to get here. Do I deny all the things I enjoy eating and cooking? I am assuming this borderline diagnosis is largely due to old age which I can't do much about, coupled with some dodgy genes as well. My grandmother developed T2 at roughly the same age as I am back in the mid 1950's and did have a bad time with leg ulcers, she also had arthritis and was unable to walk well so took little exercise The last 5 years of her life were pretty miserable but she did live to 90 .

I just wondered what others would do in my shoes?.

I Guys I go from 41 to 45 . I would like to go lower but at my age I do walk but not far 3 to 4 K , I am 87 and a long summer just gone , I may get to do more K now it is cooler. All the luck in the world . Pardalope.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gardengnome42 I don't see anything wrong with your results, and if they're relatively stable, I would keep on just as you are, and follow @Bluetit1802's advice to use your meter to keep an eye on any possible upward trends. You should be pleased with what you're achieving, particularly as sometimes it's harder for us oldies to do so well, and at our age health issues (as well as diet) may have a big impact on our glucose levels -and for me this has been a fairly big hurdle...

Being old and somewhat decrepit I don't expect major miracles. I'm also nearly 76 and have been low carbing now for just over four years and from an initial diagnosis of T2 with an HbA1c of 62, I got this down to pre-diabetic levels within a few months and have kept it mostly between 40 and 43 with a couple of 45s. And I'm fine with that! However, I'm really more interested in keeping my pre and post meal levels stable with as few spikes as possible, and if I get a reasonable HBA1c as a result then that's a bonus which keeps my GP happy too. (And I'm not ireally n a fit state to do much exercise now, due (a) to wonky knees, and (b) currently having problems getting shoes on due to oedema. )

Regarding a low carb lifestyle, I don't deny myelf anything foodwise, except those high carb foods which could do me a power of no good, but such "limitations" no way stop me having a much more interesting, varied, and enjoyable (to say nothing of healthy :D) diet now than I had for many years after my husband retired early and decided to take over in the kitchen. I believe it simply depends on the way in which you approach things, and I keep finding new food combinations I can try so for me LCHF still tends to be a bit of an interesting food adventure! :) My advice here would be to make any carb reductions in easy stages, which I did accidentally, just being told originally by my DN to avoid sugary food and drinks. But perhaps try to cut out your least favourite carby foods first, trust you meter to guide you, and go on from there? And you don't have worry avout losing weight by eating low carb though many people choose to do so - but it's definitely an excellent way of managing glucose levels. Initially I lost a lot of surplus weight very quickly by drasically reducing my carbohydrate intake but upping it again to a suitable (for my body) level has kept my weight stable - although still too high :bag: - for most of the last four years.

Robbity

Reactions: kumera

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I Guys I go from 41 to 45 . I would like to go lower but at my age I do walk but not far 3 to 4 K , I am 87 and a long summer just gone , I may get to do more K now it is cooler. All the luck in the world . Pardalope.

Thanks Pardalope for your reply. With such an awful winter as we have had in the UK it is only now that it is warming up and that it is pleasant to get out and about on foot! You must be in the southern hemisphere?

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
There is nothing wrong with an HbA1c of 43, and as you have remained stable for the last 6 months I wouldn't change a thing, if it were me. Just keep doing what you are doing, and keep testing so you can look out for any deterioration. If you notice any upward trends analyse the reasons why - things like carb-creep for example. You are not your grandmother, so why worry the same will happen to you? There is no reason to believe it will. Well done for staying stable. :)

Thank you for your reply Bluetit and it's reassuring to know that you would leave things as they are. I do get alarmed at some of my readings when I test before and after a meal and frankly had expected a rise in the A1c but was relieved it stayed the same. A good kick up the bum would have served me right!