Prescription exemption nightmare

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How is it a doctors surgery can be so ****** useless?

First they won't refer me to the nearest clinic, they want me to travel 120 miles round trip to Oxford. That's only a days holiday and load of fuel don't worry.

Second they haven't posted my exemption form or if they have its been lost and their attitude was well you can pay and claim it back.. IVE ALREADY SPENT £280 ON MY DIABETES THIS MONTH HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU WANT.

Rage. :banghead:

Edited by mod for language

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch! That is a whole day out of work for the clinic visit, plus all the aggro and tiredness of a long drive.
Have they given you any sensible reason why they chose that clinic? I hope they have a good one!

As for the prescriptions. Yeah. I sympathise with that one too. Hope you pointed out how out of pocket you are?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ouch! That is a whole day out of work for the clinic visit, plus all the aggro and tiredness of a long drive.
Have they given you any sensible reason why they chose that clinic? I hope they have a good one!

As for the prescriptions. Yeah. I sympathise with that one too. Hope you pointed out how out of pocket you are?

Because I used to live in Oxford catchment (an hour away anyway) they wont move me. because obviously all clinics give a equal standard of care so moving to Cambridge wont help :banghead:

The woman on the prescription line couldn't give a ****.

Do we have a list of unallowed words because apparently I like sailor language?

Reactions: porl69

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you phone the people who would deal with the exemption and explain the situation - I can't remember the name of it now - not had any coffee yet today - but tell them that as a type one diabetic you are entitled, so you are going to stop paying now that they know of the situation and then leave it to them to sort out. If the chemist questions it and wants to see your card make some excuse - such as it being lost - but as you are entitled to free prescriptions it should not be a problem.
These days I am getting quite good at making things someone else's problem.
If they insist on making an appointment for you in Oxford contact the clinic and explain why you can't come, not unless they can arrange transport and that you'd far rather go to the other clinic - so perhaps they could dissuade the GP from referring you there.

Reactions: ickihun and Juicyj

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you phone the people who would deal with the exemption and explain the situation - I can't remember the name of it now - not had any coffee yet today - but tell them that as a type one diabetic you are entitled, so you are going to stop paying now that they know of the situation and then leave it to them to sort out. If the chemist questions it and wants to see your card make some excuse - such as it being lost - but as you are entitled to free prescriptions it should not be a problem.
These days I am getting quite good at making things someone else's problem.
If they insist on making an appointment for you in Oxford contact the clinic and explain why you can't come, not unless they can arrange transport and that you'd far rather go to the other clinic - so perhaps they could dissuade the GP from referring you there.

Yeah I already called the exemption people and they haven't received anything so therefore cant do anything.

I wont be paying anything - just on the basic it would be £40 a month.

What doesn't help is that I just signed up to pharmacy2u as the drs are useless and wont take prescriptions any other way than electronically (or a visit) which I cannot access. I've had my user profile reset twice and it wont work (nearly swore again). Starting to ring around other local surgery's as this doesn't feel like the one for me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How is it a doctors surgery can be so ****** useless?

First they won't refer me to the nearest clinic, they want me to travel 120 miles round trip to Oxford. That's only a days holiday and load of fuel don't worry.

Second they haven't posted my exemption form or if they have its been lost and their attitude was well you can pay and claim it back.. IVE ALREADY SPENT £280 ON MY DIABETES THIS MONTH HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU WANT.

Rage. :banghead:

Edited by mod for language

Er,...... My GP told me, when I was explaining that the consultant I had recently seen couldn't have had any less interest yet still have a pulse, that I could ask for a named referral to a consultant I wanted, so I asked for just that and she did it without query.

It does seem utterly bonkers that your care is 120 miles away, although it seems Oxford and Cambridge both seem to get good reviews. Of course, that's no comfort when you're doing the seemingly needless travelling.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Er,...... My GP told me, when I was explaining that the consultant I had recently seen couldn't have had any less interest yet still have a pulse, that I could ask for a named referral to a consultant I wanted, so I asked for just that and she did it without query.

It does seem utterly bonkers that your care is 120 miles away, although it seems Oxford and Cambridge both seem to get good reviews. Of course, that's no comfort when you're doing the seemingly needless travelling.

It might not have helped that I wanted two referals in the same day but I had taken a couple of hours off just to go and see the Gp in the first place, they wont give a Saturday appointment as they are booked month in advance and god forbid they might have an evening clinic

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why don’t you get another form from the GP, get it signed and then post it yourself? That’s what happened with mine. I know it might be tricky getting it signed but at least if you post it yourself you know it’s gone?
Btw, Oxford’s not that bad a place for a day trip! ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Because I used to live in Oxford catchment (an hour away anyway) they wont move me. because obviously all clinics give a equal standard of care so moving to Cambridge wont help :banghead:

The woman on the prescription line couldn't give a ****.

Shocking @Engineer88, no wonder you are feeling the way you do ! The care from decades ago has long passed and we, the patient, seem to be paying for it ( in more ways than just the care) in the good ole 21st century:nailbiting: :rolleyes: Good luck I hope you can things sorted out.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why don’t you get another form from the GP, get it signed and then post it yourself? That’s what happened with mine. I know it might be tricky getting it signed but at least if you post it yourself you know it’s gone?
Btw, Oxford’s not that bad a place for a day trip! ;)

I wouldn't mind only its Headlington which is the "bottom" end of nowhere really.

I'm tempted but its such a faff to get there when they are open. I suggested the dr sign it and ill fill it in in the surgery but obviously that's too easy.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Shocking @Engineer88, no wonder you are feeling the way you do ! The care from decades ago has long passed and we, the patient, seem to be paying for it ( in more ways than just the care) in the good ole 21st century:nailbiting: :rolleyes: Good luck I hope you can things sorted out.

Its so Daft! why cant we just use the welsh version where no card is needed! ( I appreciate some need to pay but still).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't mind only its Headlington which is the "bottom" end of nowhere really.

I'm tempted but its such a faff to get there when they are open. I suggested the dr sign it and ill fill it in in the surgery but obviously that's too easy.

Lucky I don’t live in the same part of Oxford as the hospital or I might be offended! ;)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Useless people. I would have used sailor language, but you know...

Possibly ask hospital clinic to refer you another clinic?

Dr's - write to practice manager?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ok, 2 answers :D

With my mod hat on:
The forum rules specify that 'offensive language' merits moderation, up to and including an instant ban.
Obviously, this requires moderator discretion.
For myself, I bear in mind that this is an international forum with members from all ages, cultures, religions and sensitivies.
As a simple rule of thumb, i question whether whether the word is one I would use in front of a young schoolchild. We have quite a few members that age. I err on the side of caution, mainly because it is more hassle to deal with Reported posts than to tidy language up as I read the forum. :)
And we often gets posts reported for offensive language.

Without my mod hat:
Anyone who has spent more than a few minutes in my company knows that my language is neither ladylike nor refined. Mr B laughs about sometimes feeling like he is standing in a wind tunnel. He has even started mimicking my pronunciation when ****** *** ****.
On the forum, i just use asterisks or different phraseology. I find they are very communicative :D and have never felt I cannot get my point across.

One thing I find personally irritating, is when someone thinks it is amusing to to try and circumvent the forum rules on offensive language by typ1ng !ik3 th1s. Or th*s. But I’m a big girl, and I cope by editing accordingly. ;)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here, here!

The number 4 bus I believe!

hello 'neighbour' :)

It is insane having to go to OCDEM from Cambridge though!

Yup I do believe it is the no. 4 too!
Waves to neighbour :)

Reactions: slip

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, 2 answers :D

With my mod hat on:
The forum rules specify that 'offensive language' merits moderation, up to and including an instant ban.
Obviously, this requires moderator discretion.
For myself, I bear in mind that this is an international forum with members from all ages, cultures, religions and sensitivies.
As a simple rule of thumb, i question whether whether the word is one I would use in front of a young schoolchild. We have quite a few members that age. I err on the side of caution, mainly because it is more hassle to deal with Reported posts than to tidy language up as I read the forum. :)
And we often gets posts reported for offensive language.

Without my mod hat:
Anyone who has spent more than a few minutes in my company knows that my language is neither ladylike nor refined. Mr B laughs about sometimes feeling like he is standing in a wind tunnel. He has even started mimicking my pronunciation when ****** *** ****.
On the forum, i just use asterisks or different phraseology. I find they are very communicative :D and have never felt I cannot get my point across.

One thing I find personally irritating, is when someone thinks it is amusing to to try and circumvent the forum rules on offensive language by typ1ng !ik3 th1s. Or th*s. But I’m a big girl, and I cope by editing accordingly. ;)

I wasn't trying to be awkward but I do understand. Silly people and their feelings! lol

Thanks everyone for your support, I went and filled in another exemption form Friday and asked for a script to be raised and not sent to prescriptions2u so I can take it into the chemist. When you're picking up both insulin and thyroxine they don't bother asking!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I used to live in Oxford so am very familiar with hospitals etc there. Also now live near Cambridge so know Addenbrookes. Between the two cities I would choose Oxford over whelming.
Your gp surgery sound as useless as mine.
I so hope you get the clinics changed.
Also I hope you soon get your exception card sorted very soon

Reactions: Engineer88

leahkian

If you use the same place to get your medication after the first time you show it they never bother after that and you should get a reminder of your card is to expire. I had a double transplant 3 years ago and all medication was got when i went shopping but the government changed it that now i have to get it at the transplant center 12 miles away. I have just got my card renewed with the doctors help as immunosuprresents are not classed as life saving medication, yes i know i will not take them and the transplant will fail but i will get my meds free. I had to get my GP to write a letter saying that diabetes in still the cause of my problems and the amount of tablets i take i would not be able to afford. My GP told me that the reason you are only aloud 28 days of your meds was not for waste but for those who pay would have to pay more. Yet i get at least 3 months of tablets at the hospital, the other thing is when you have to have a medication review and they will not let you order them but as i have said what about a weekend you are not open. They say that you should order what you need 3 days before you run out as it takes 2 days for them to do it, have you not had a call from your GPs asking if you could change some of your tablets. I got asked if i could change tramadol to co codine i said no and the lady said why and i said most of my tablets have been given to me by consultants at Newcastle Freeman so if there is a problem you can phone them. They have even tried the same thing with my mother and father as well.