Feeling hypo but I'm not

scoots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get it when bg is going up, too - I can get that overwhelming tiredness and incoherence of a major hyper, check my levels to see just how much insulin I will need to give to correct it and it is perfectly normal, only for it to go up pretty quickly after.

This diabetes lark, can make you look a right chump! :lol:

Jen

poppy79

Hello :)
I too have been having this problem, i only seem to get it at night. Perhaps because thats the only time i sit down and amn't on the go so i notice it more. I was diagnosed a year ago, but have been told im still producing some of my own insulin and it could take months before im fully dependant on insulin. apparently i was an unusual case and it took an awful long time to get a proper diagnosis. Im on Novorapid and thought i was getting the hang of it but am actually not really as iv improved my diet considerably but my blood sugar levels are gradually getting worse. I used to see 6's and 7's alot but now im normally 9's upto 13's. Is that that bad? The doc is going to put me on lantus soon, so i hope that helps. Its the tingling arms and legs i cant stand and feeling so lethargic and tired. do you feel better when you go on the long acting insulin?... oh dear i just meant to say i had the same problem and it turned into a little moan! lol better out than in :wink:

scoots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi poppy,

Welcome to the forum!

Your BG is likely to be up and down while your own cells are still firing, and they are likely to be more sporadic as they start to burn out completely, what is referred to as the 'honeymoon period'. I was diagnosed in Jan 2009, and went through the honeymoon period for a few months. It lulls you into a false sense of security as you think you can eat things without it having any (or much) effect on your BG, but then all of a sudden it does!

I would keep close links with your diabetic team and don't be afraid to get in touch for advice. My DSN was (and still is) always on the end of the phone and ready to give advice for how best to manage watever was happening for me. It sounds bizarre, but once the cells have finally died off and you are fully reliant on the insulin you give yourself, it really is much easier to control, honest! Keeping a record of food/activity/BG and insulin will prove invaluable, and help you work out what effect all of these things have on you and how you manage the condition to live your life as you choose, living life with it rather than around it.

Good luck with it all - enjoy the journey!

Jen :D

levana

It's only logical that this should happen. High levels of sugar are very stressful for the body, too. It's true that usually one starts feeling bad only when the levels reach a very high pick. Perhaps you are particularly sensitive to high levels at this time. (Your sensitivity can change).