What should you do when your friends eat choclate

millie

The last day before the 6weeks all my friends brought me choclate, but i was not aloud to eat it. So i was very sad and anoyed.
I was wondering if you have any ideas of what to do?
Does anybody in your family have diabetes?
:wink: :p

stabatha

your a type 1 millie, so like sue says if you want some chocolate , eat a little after eating a meal with carbs in, this slows the absorbtion of the sugar ,.do you carb count? if you do just add the chocolate carb content onto the meal your eating, but if you are on a fixed dose this will be harder , as your only 11 you need to check with your mum before changing your dosage. just dont eat it too much or too often , but dont deny yourself things too much, you'll only end up miserable and unhappy.. us type 1s have the power in those syringes to get away with having a little of what we fancy, so take advantage of it :D. I eat chocolate every now and then and this works well for me,

KimSuzanne

I agree have a LITTLE of what you fancy denying yourself things just makes you very miserable. Just don't eat the whole lot in one go!

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
My diabetic nurse told me to buy black/dark chocolate break it up into a freezer box/bag and take a small slice and let it melt on your tongue..... it is delicious and I dont want too much :D

donnamum

My daughter is type 1 and finds the same situation very difficult. What we have done is, if a friend brings sweets in for the class she can have one the same time as everyone else. she tests her bg at the next break time and will skip her mid morning/afternoon snack if too high. Or she keeps it as her pre exercise snack. which she loves to do as she gets to eat a few sweets in the class just before PE. Or she will keeo it for after next meal and I will carb count it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Katharine

When you exercise you will use up more glucose and this is when you will find that you can eat some chocolate and keep your blood sugars normal.

Are you sporty?

Jon

My doctor always told me "Your a child first, and a diabetic second". A little chocolate shouldnt be that bad for you, just dont over do it.

fred the frog

as everyone says a couple of pieces every so often are ok I have choclate myself you have to taste it once in a while so much nicer than being able to eat it all the time your mum will help you anyway

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Definately dark chocolate as it's not so fattening or harmful as milk. One piece now and then isn't bad....really. :mrgreen:

lionrampant

Sainsbury's no added sugar dark chocolate is the winner. It's slightly higher overall than the pure 85% chocolate, but it has less actual "of which sugars" content. It's about 3.8 per square, of which sugars is 0.2. And the square is big!

Mal

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thornton's Diabetic Chocolate is fantastic!
My wife buys this for me to enjoy when her and our daughter are munching on their sweets. The taste is excellent and it behaves just like normal choccy too. Well Done Thorntons!

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
if people buy me chocolate i eat it :D

if you have a couple of bits at a time then you should be fine... remember there's a lot of fat in chocolate too so the sugar doesn't hit you quite to hard as say, a non sugar free drink would.

Anyway... your chocolate will last much longer than their chocolate :D

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
oh yeh... on the no added sugar chocolate front... i personally LOVE the Tesco's own no added sugar chocolate, it's DEE-LISH! very creamy and smooth, unlike some other sugar free chocolates which can be "gritty" and leave an odd aftertaste.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum Chi'ch. While I will take any excuse to eat chocolate you really need something a little faster acting for a hypo!! :lol:

Chi'ch

sugarless sue said:
Welcome to the forum Chi'ch. While I will take any excuse to eat chocolate you really need something a little faster acting for a hypo!! :lol:
Thank you :)

Ohhh yes of course, I mean, usually, I treat my hypo as normal, Lucozade, but it's a great excuse to snack on chocolate too, doesn't feel so naughty then :D followed by a snack!