Type 1 Blood Glucose Profiles (Curves)

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 !!!
Does anyone know if there are some good figures/curves/screenshots/pictures of the most common/typical blood sugar profiles? That is, how does the human glucose production varies during the day. I need that to estimate some basal insulin profiles.

Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted Account

Are you looking for the profiles for someone without diabetes? These should be flat.
Or are you looking for insulin absorption profile? These vary per insulin type but are easy to find by googling "NovoRapid profile", for example.

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@helensaramay its for the sweetend-blood people, aka Diabetics. It is actually blood sugar profile that is produced in the human body / liver. This link / profile is for something else. But thanx.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @DanisV I am not sure why you are looking for this, every diabetic has a different profile based on their unique physiology, there is no one size fits all.

Perhaps it would help to work out why you are asking for this and we can go from there, so do you have a unique issue you are trying to solve ?

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Juicyj: I want to work out a proper basal delivery for my son (8 MO), fasting is out of reach, so only "assumption" and "try-and-see" rule can be applied. For this purpose I need some good starting point, i.e. typical BG curves. And please no comments like "check with your doc" since that is what we were trying for the past 2-3 months without success (BG levels are between 10-22 and we need something else!!!). My sons uses dissolved insulin (1:10 humalog)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @DanisV Only you can work out the correct basal delivery for your son, so have you tried any basal fasting tests for him ?

The action of the basal insulin is to provide a steady BG level over 24 hours, and by doing some basal fasting tests you can analyse the action of the basal, the easiest starting point is to check his overnight rate, so when he goes to bed ensure his quick acting bolus has left his system so around 4 hours after his last meal/injection, you need to test his BG levels every 3 hours during the night, his BG levels at bedtime and upon waking should be within 2mmol/l of each other.

Have a read through here: http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Juicyj : I realized that my sons Basal/Bolus ratio was 30/70, and here I read that should be 50/50. We had high BGs like for more than 5-6 weeks . Our doc changed the basal by 20-30% and meal factors but seems inefficient. I read some guidelines here on forum, and decided to set this up on my own. Now the ratio is 45/55 and the BGs levels are much better (no more than 18 per day, but the spikes are still there lasting 1 hr and then drop down). And in general BG goes down after some time, before it would only rise-up. I know that he needs more insulin from 7 to 12, then less from 12 to 15, then a bit more from 15 to 18, less 18-20, and again more 20-23, very low level between midnight and 5. The dinner spikes the most and stays like 2-3 hrs.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
at 8 months, what is he eating........basal testing will be hard I would imagine.........any chance of carb free meals in stead of fasting....?

you can work out a typical total basal dose with a calculation.......mass[pounds]/4 = total daily dose, then half to get basal......

its rough obviously but a good start I think

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not convinced you understand what it is your asking for @DanisV . You want a CGM curve from a diabetic? You do understand that that curve will show them being treated with insulin, either via a pimp or a basal insulin? I, really concerned about how you think that will assis with setting your sons basal dosage. Let me be clear : IT WONT.

Writing on a forum that you want no comments like "check with a doctor" when it come to setting the basal rate for your infant son also suggests you don't understand what it is your doing. It's really worrying. You do understand insulin is potentially deadly? Faffing about with the dose given to your son without checking with a medical professional seems hugely irresponsible. If your doctor is difficult to get hold of, try the DSN. If your medical team is not responsive, request referral to a different doctor.

Have you read the book pumping insulin by John Walsh? If youre going to be messing around with your sons pump you should really understand what your doing. Thinking that you can work out your sons basal dose by looking at cgm curve from other diabetics certainly isn't understanding what it is you are doing.

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@novorapidboi26 we are close to the numbers, I guess this is not the issue. actually the basal distribution is wrong. btw there is no fasting-tests for infants, some say that first when the kid is at least 6 yo you can do them, for younger its the trial method.

@catapillar I am not sure if you understood (or read) the real question, but thank you on the answer...and suggestions.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@novorapidboi26 we are close to the numbers, I guess this is not the issue. actually the basal distribution is wrong. btw there is no fasting-tests for infants, some say that first when the kid is at least 6 yo you can do them, for younger its the trial method.

@catapillar I am not sure if you understood (or read) the real question, but thank you on the answer...and suggestions.

Can you try a carb free approach, that's what I was saying.....its likely that would be difficult too.....

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

This is your original question:

Does anyone know if there are some good figures/curves/screenshots/pictures of the most common/typical blood sugar profiles?

Again, I don't think you understand what it is you are asking for if you are planning to use a common blood sugar profile from a diabetic to inform your infant sons basal rate dosage, again a diabetics blood sugar profile will be a treated diabetics results.

Do you understand what it is you are asking for? It doesn't seem like it. Is there a language barrier playing a part?

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Juicyj : I realized that my sons Basal/Bolus ratio was 30/70, and here I read that should be 50/50. We had high BGs like for more than 5-6 weeks . Our doc changed the basal by 20-30% and meal factors but seems inefficient. I read some guidelines here on forum, and decided to set this up on my own. Now the ratio is 45/55 and the BGs levels are much better (no more than 18 per day, but the spikes are still there lasting 1 hr and then drop down). And in general BG goes down after some time, before it would only rise-up. I know that he needs more insulin from 7 to 12, then less from 12 to 15, then a bit more from 15 to 18, less 18-20, and again more 20-23, very low level between midnight and 5. The dinner spikes the most and stays like 2-3 hrs.

I think I understand what you're asking for, but it won't help and doesn't exist because everyone has a different profile. It isn't even the same for the same person every day, so you can't create a basal profile like this. There is no typical glucose profile that you can use to create a basal profile from.