Any decent low carb breakfast cereals out there?

paulloseby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a newby to all this finger pricking stuff but I am slowly getting used to things.

My biggest problem is breakfast. I am on the low carb diet which seems to be working (so far). I don't want my wife to end up cooking three times a day (I tend to leave more mess and pots so she kindly does the food). I've been having two shredded wheat with whole milk but I see on the pack, that even the shredded wheat is high in carbs.

Anyone know of a nice tasting breakfast cereal available in the UK. I'm a bit fussy in that I don't like dried fruit so that puts muesli out.

Advice would be fantastic

Many thanks

Paul

Reactions: mycanal

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is handy is to know that you can eat any low carb food for breakfast or not eat breakfast at all if you don’t want to. Ham, cheese, cold frittata, nuts....the list goes on.

There aren’t really any reliable low carb cereals on the market but a few of the homemade ones are good.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - if you are eating breakfast cereals then you are not on a low carb diet - the two are pretty much mutually exclusive.
The dried fruit would exclude muesli by being really high in sugar - so not low carb either.
I tend to cook quite a few meals in a small wok - sometimes collecting the components in a sieve over a bowl so they can drain before making an omelette, or cooking scrambled eggs as a final component. There is very little mess or need to wash up.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no commercial low carb breakfast cereals I'm afraid.

Can you boil an egg without messing up any pans? Eggs cooked any which way are a staple breakfast for us. You could even boil some the night before if you like then hard. Personally I like mine soft and runny. These days I don't have any breakfast other than a decaff coffee with double cream. That sees me through the morning.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What ^ have said.
Cereals are full of carbs, muesli is more rolled oats than anything else and carbie.
Eggs and bacon, trad and very low carb. Eggs in any form is great.
I go yogurt nuts and passion fruit or celery, cheese, nuts and olives.
Good luck.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could make your own low carb nut and seed granola. I have used this recipe https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/chocolate-hazelnut-granola-low-carb-and-gluten-free/ adjusting to use whatever nuts I have and replacing hazelnut oil with coconut. Other recipes available if you do a google search. Have with greek / natural yoghurt (compare the carb contents) and a few blueberries. Or try chia seed pudding eg https://www.skinnytaste.com/coconut-lime-raspberry-chia-pudding/ - other recipes again via a google search:)
I've not tried this one but keep meaning to https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/grain-free-cinnamon-crunch/

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Aldi do a Paleo muesli at 7g carb per serving. The blurb on the packet says 'baked sunflower kernels and pumpkin seeds with freeze dried blackcurrants and redcurrants.' I have a bit of it sprinkled on yoghurt as a summer breakfast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aishia

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d go for a continental style breakfast of cold meat, salami and cheese if you want something quick and easy. Very low carb and fuss free so you won’t be making a mess with pans.

Greek yoghurt ( not the low fat type) with a handful of raspberries or strawberries is another easy option.

Reactions: filly

Aaron D

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try a shot of espresso with about equal parts heavy whipping cream. It's a sort of 'skipping breakfast' alternative...

Reactions: filly and Mongolia

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
View attachment 26251 I get these from Asda for my Breakfast...but i'm confused bcos they are 33g of carbs in a 40mg serving with 200ml of semi skimmed milk (I used skimmed only) but what i'm getting at is how high the carb content is yet they are good for Blood sugar because they contain Oat Beta -Glucan
they aren't good for your blood sugars - that's a marketing ploy. don't fall for it. Oats spike blood sugars terribly.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get these from Asda for my Breakfast...but i'm confused bcos they are 33g of carbs in a 40mg serving with 200ml of semi skimmed milk (I used skimmed only) but what i'm getting at is how high the carb content is yet they are good for Blood sugar because they contain Oat Beta -Glucan

I've never seen anything that suggests Oat Beta Glucan is good for blood sugar, only for cholesterol and I take even that with a pinch of salt. It's a fibre which means it won't raise blood sugar levels. That particular product isn't 100% oats, it's something like 33%~ oat flour produced to a cost price.

Even with a 100% oats product, as a Type 1, I have to take an insulin dose about 40 minutes in advance of oats in a morning to control a spike in blood glucose.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 26251 I get these from Asda for my Breakfast...but i'm confused bcos they are 33g of carbs in a 40mg serving with 200ml of semi skimmed milk (I used skimmed only) but what i'm getting at is how high the carb content is yet they are good for Blood sugar because they contain Oat Beta -Glucan

I would keep well away from these unless you test your blood before and after eating them and they have no effect on your blood glucose. They would for me.
Skimmed milk is more carbie than full milk, so I tend to go for the Full milk, or better still double cream.... but that's for my coffee.

Wish you well.

dragongirl

I eat cold meat with something like cucumber and radish (to involve coloured veg) plus some mayo. The supermarkets do some nice cold pieces of chicken - you have to beware the packeted stuff that has added carbs. Meat doesn't have carbs!! This means I use a plate, a sharp knife and my cutlery. Easy. In hotels I do the egg/bacon option.

btw I just signed in again because I seem to be getting the site's emails. I was diagnosed 9 years ago, set up my routine at that time with the help of everyone on here, keep my hba1c on 5.5% and refuse to attend proper clinic to be told to eat carbs, but go for foot and eye checks and blood tests of course - and I just thought it's probably time to "give back". I was so grateful to find this forum and land on my feet despite the shock. Thought I'd best explain my sudden appearance!!

Paulloseby - you could just try to ignore bread, cake, wheat, pasta, cereal and root veg and sugary fruit, eat what keeps your sugars okay and have fun in life! It really really does work :)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yet they are good for Blood sugar because they contain Oat Beta -Glucan

On what basis does that make porridge good for blood sugar? Have you tested, eaten the porridge, waited two hours and then tested to find out for yourself what the porridge's effect on your blood sugar actually is?

Rosalie_900

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think getting enough fat is important at breakfast if you are cutting carbs: so I melt some butter in a small pan and add 3 cherry tomatoes (halved) and a bit later just a few walnut pieces(good for omega 3)....fry gently for a few minutes.
I also have half a small avocado with some home made salad dressing (olive oil, organic cider vinegar etc) and a piece of cheese ( could be ham or boiled egg). Add a coffee with double cream and that will keep you going for quite a while: butter, olive oil and cream is great......and not too much to clear up after, only one small pan that may wipe clean with kitchen paper.

Reactions: hankjam

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It says on the box contains oat Beta-Glucan and that is supposed be good for Blood sugar.I don't test all time just a fasting one occasionally i can't afford keep buying strips i"m not working i bought the monitor and strips myself.

It is also 58% carbohydrate minus the fibre, it says so on the box, so definitely not good for blood sugars, especially if made with milk. If you don't test your meals, you need to avoid it completely.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Not many seasoned Type 2's on this platform have continued to eat Oats, I think a generous guess would be single digit percentages and closer to zero for those with sustained normal HbA1C's and normal range fasting blood glucose. When I dropped my 40 grams of Oats I went from 41/42 to mid 30's for my HbA1C.

In my opinion nothing in the cereal isle deserves time, so eggs, bacon or sausage, tomato and mushroom or every type of available berry, Greek yogurt and nuts works well. I spent hours in all of the supermarkets looking at the carbs per 100 grams (remember carbs metabolises to sugar), I would say the average is around 65 grams per 100 (garbage in my view), I can't remember 1 being under 40 grams per 100.