Pregnant!

potlots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone, just found out that I am 4-5 weeks pregnant and my anxiety is going CRAZY! Type 1 for 29 years and pumping novorapid, constantly terrified that whatever I’m doing is harming my baby. No appointments with any professionals yet as only did the test yesterday but tomorrow will be a long list of phone calls! Has anyone got some sense they can knock into me?! or anyone who can ride out this very long storm with me?? Thanks in advance! X

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just remember that lots of us have had healthy babies (Many with far from perfect control). Talk to the medics and people here.
Congratulations and many hugs.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If you're not already on it, you need to take folic acid asap. :). Congrats on the pregnancy.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @potlots Congratulations :)

Don't worry ! Just relax, keep up with your DSN and let them know what's going on, many many t1 women have healthy kids so don't fear, it's natural to have some anxiety as there's someone else to think about but do what you can do, I had gestational and no clue about BG management as it was only diagnosed at 23 weeks so didn't know how long it was undiagnosed for and had a healthy baby at 37 weeks, I think if I can do it anyone can.

potlots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone! I have a scan, consultant appt and midwife appt all on the 15th so that should get all my questions answered haha. A whole day at the hospital, yay!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thanks everyone! I have a scan, consultant appt and midwife appt all on the 15th so that should get all my questions answered haha. A whole day at the hospital, yay!
Downside - day at hospital.
Upside - chance to see jelly baby sized picture of your child.

Reactions: potlots

Ivy45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was exactly like this at the start, every time I had a high I nearly had a nervous breakdown. I'm still a nervous wreck at 23 weeks but it's a bit more reassuring now I feel movement. Just remember you can only do your best and if you get a high reading obviously do your best to correct it quickly but don't panic too much. And be prepared for the first trimester hypos! Mine started at around 8 weeks I think.

Reactions: potlots

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @potlots,
I’m too in early pregnancy and just worrying at the moment as other than feeling tired and perhaps being slightly hormonal, I don’t really have any symptoms. How are you feeling? Have you had any scans or anything yet? Xx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A massive congratulations!!!

I have 2 gorgeous boys and I’m type 1!

just because you are diabetic doesn’t mean you won’t have a healthy happy little baby and a healthy pregnancy I had the most perfect birth with my second son and I honestly didn’t Evan feel diabetic!! You will have times where your sugars go up but just keep calm and give yourself a dose of insulin! You know what your doing and your team will too. Xx

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am 14 weeks tomorrow with my 3rd baby and have had type one for 16/17 years .... both healthy so far and I survived both births :)
It’s not an easy journey but it’s definitely achievable ! Message me if you want to chat more for some support :) how many weeks are you now ? Xx

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations........everything will be fine, its clear you may be a bit more anxious, but all that means is you will be making extra effort to keep stable, which in the long term, is good......