Breakfast Inspiration needed ...

callieuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to be managing the carb situation okay for lunch (live on salads anyway) and dinners (if I cut potatoes etc) but I am soooooo struggling for breakfasts - my usual go-to breakfasts of granola, muffins, porridges, toast etc are now out! I also eat a fair bit of fruit; strawberries, kiwis, melon, apples etc, some of which are also out.

Does anyone want to share their breakfasts to give me some ideas? I have taken boiled eggs to work, and hubby makes a lovely frittata, but need to watch the eggs situation too!

Inspiration needed please!

Reactions: CranberryIce

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do you need to watch the eggs? The idea that eggs are going to put up your cholesterol is another one of those 'facts' about diet which do not stand up to testing.
I only eat twice a day, so I tend to have two meals, but kippers and cauliflower, sausages, chops, eggs fish and cauliflower as a mock kedgeree, tuna salad, finely chopped mushrooms in beaten egg for an omelette which can be cubed and transported - are all things I have taken with me to eat later. I am assuming that you need to transport food, but if you don't then there are lots more options - try forgetting that breakfast cereals were ever invented and go back to what people used to eat first thing in the morning.

Reactions: callieuk
D

Deleted Account

Sausages ... wrapped in bacon a la pigs in blankets (you don't just have to keep them for Christmas). Make sure you get good quality bangers without too much carbs.
Low carb yoghurt (e.g. plain greek yoghurt with berries)

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to have bacon or ham and a poached egg, but if I'm pushed for time I go more Germanic and have cold meats & slice of cheese. I also have nuts sometimes. Brazil nuts are like rocket fuel for energy.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be managing the carb situation okay for lunch (live on salads anyway) and dinners (if I cut potatoes etc) but I am soooooo struggling for breakfasts - my usual go-to breakfasts of granola, muffins, porridges, toast etc are now out! I also eat a fair bit of fruit; strawberries, kiwis, melon, apples etc, some of which are also out.

Does anyone want to share their breakfasts to give me some ideas? I have taken boiled eggs to work, and hubby makes a lovely frittata, but need to watch the eggs situation too!

Inspiration needed please!
Hi Callie have a look at the recipes for low carb muffins on www.sugarfreelondoner.com and stepawayfromthecarbs.com and my personal breakfast favourite Keto cheese scones (spread with real butter) at itwontdiabeatus.wordpress.com. They are based on ground almonds instead of flour.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t like big breakfasts so I eat mainly white fat yoghurt with 3.1 g of carbs in it and one spoon of fish oil. And coffee with cream...