Blood glucose systems

malancy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Hello, I was diagnosed Type 2 in 2009 and control my diabetes by diet and Metformin SR. I was told I didn't need to test but got myself an Aviva Nano and test periodically especially when I'm not feeling well. Because I like the simplicity of multiclix finger pricker/ lancets (discontinued) I intend to purchase a fastclix finger pricker and the corresponding lancets. My problem is I need a blood glucose monitor with cheaper test strips as the Aviva ones are expensive. Do any of you knowledgeable people have any recommendations? It will need to be simple to use like the Nano is. Thank you for reading.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @malancy and welcome!

There are a couple of meters often recommended on here that are relatively cheap to run:

The SD Codefree, available from Home Health

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

This has the cheapest strips, which are even cheaper if you buy in bulk and use the discount codes:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Also the Tee 2 available from Spirit Healthcare. The meter is free, but the strips cost a bit more than those for the Codefree.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

malancy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Thank you for your reply @Goonergal, I appreciate all the extra information on these meters. I shall have a look as to which may be best for me. Kind regards.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Hello, I was diagnosed Type 2 in 2009 and control my diabetes by diet and Metformin SR. I was told I didn't need to test but got myself an Aviva Nano and test periodically especially when I'm not feeling well. Because I like the simplicity of multiclix finger pricker/ lancets (discontinued) I intend to purchase a fastclix finger pricker and the corresponding lancets. My problem is I need a blood glucose monitor with cheaper test strips as the Aviva ones are expensive. Do any of you knowledgeable people have any recommendations? It will need to be simple to use like the Nano is. Thank you for reading.
Ask your diabetic nurse if there is one you can get free from them, remember to ask for one where the test strips are available on prescription and the same goes for lancets. The meters authorised by the NHS are usually fairly easy to use. It has got to be worth asking. afterall they are always saying we diabetics should self manage our condition so all you are asking for are the correct tools to do that. By the way well done with starting the low carb life.

malancy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Thank you for your reply @Hpetal , unfortunately my gp surgery does not have a diabetic nurse at the moment and I wouldn't get anything on prescription but I do appreciate your input. Kind regards.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the SD Codefree... cheapest strips of them all especially when you bulk buy and use the discount codes that @Goonergal has listed above.

malancy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Thank you @bulkbiker , I have ordered a Tee2 meter this morning and will see how I get on with it. I do appreciate your input. Kind regards.