Is it safe?

Susie

I have recently had my very first ever sunbed session as my son is getting married soon and I would like to have a little bit of colour for the wedding.

It had not occured to me that it may not be safe for a diabetic to use sunbeds until my friend asked the question when I said about booking a 2nd appointment for the following week.

Can anyone tell me, is there any adverse effects specific to diabetics using sunbeds?

Susie :?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Quite honestly ,Susie it's not safe for anyone to use sunbeds,diabetic or not!As to the question being specific to diabetics I don't actually know.

DiabeticGeek

There have been reports of vasodilation caused by sunbeds triggering hypos - these have been dubbed "sunbed seizures". I guess that diabetics, especially T1s, are likely to be more vulnerable to this than non-diabetics. However, that is a rare adverse reaction. I would worry much more about the variety of horrible side effects to sunbed treatment that everyone is vulnerable to. Sue is absolutely right - they are downright dangerous, and should probably be banned. Don't fry yourself - the last thing that you need to do is add skin cancer to your list of health problems!

Jay3109

There are now some excellent fake tans on the market that are odourless and give a pretty natural colour. Spend that little bit more and treat yourself to one of these. Much safer than UV beds!!

Katharine

I've used Avon spray on fake sun tan (the type with a gradual build up of colour).

I've done the fake bake salon applied stuff.

It looks fine (if rather dark) immediately after BUT what you should know is that it fades unevenly so that by the 4-7 day mark I look exactly like an Ayrshire cow. (Brown and cream coloured).

I've looked so awful that I've had people do a double take when I walk into a swimming pool. They are no doubt thinking, "Oh golly, what has she done to herself or oh, poor thing I wonder what skin disease that is?"

dillydog

It most definitely is NOT SAFE. I unfortunateloy suffer from Malignant Melanoma as well as diabetes. Malignant melanoma is the most deadly form of skin cancer caused mainly by sun and sun beds. I believe mine came from my childhood when sun blocks etc. were unheard of. We now have so much choice and information. Get a good looking tan with fake tan, definitely not a sun bed.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The suncream that leaves you slightly coloured is effective, doesn't streak and looks good. Nevertheless, why do you think you need to be tanned for the event? make sure your outfit suits you and you'll be fine.