Type 2 Is it possible to reduce HbA1c levels by losing weight ANYWAY u can

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has improved their HbA1c levels and /or lost weight WITHOUT using the LCHF method or NEWCASTLE diet.

Yes, for me. I lowered from my HbA1c very considerably during a few months of experimentation using all sorts of methods, with the only common theme being weight loss.

For me (and I can't stress enough "for me") there are two very simple rules of thumb:

1) I need to limit carbs in order to avoid harmful spikes after a single intake of food.

2) I need to limit calories in order to have healthy fasting blood sugar levels.

If my weight increases, my fasting levels increase to dangerous levels. This is regardless of carb levels, e.g. they can be 20g a day or 300g a day. If I'm in a period of weight loss (the important aspect there being my liver is cleared of fat, I think) then my fasting levels decrease, again independent of carbs.

I'd bet real money based on every time I've tested this sort of thing, that I could eat nothing but crisps and cake all day, but so long as I limited calories to say 1,600 and went on a walk tonight, I'd wake up tomorrow with a very healthy fasting blood sugar level, because I am in a period of weight loss.

But I don't eat cake and crisps all day, because the HbA1c is not the only picture. It's been demonstrated in a study that two people can get the same HbA1c, but the one who achieved that by always keeping their blood sugar levels below 7.8 2 hours after a meal by eating sensible, low-carb foods, are much less likely to develop diabetic complications. And that's all that's important really - avoiding the complications.

I can get away with carby foods so long as I go on a walk straight afterwards and I'm well established in a period of losing weight. Right now, calories are my main focus. It's working well and I'm enjoying it. But I'm still very carb conscious. I generally keep them low, and will only consider going higher if say I'm in the hills at the weekends or about to go on a walk in the evening.

You have to find what works for you. Make an honest appraisal of your past behaviour with food, how disciplined you are, how likely you are to give in to binges, what you binge on etc. Based on posts in this forum, the most successful method of weight loss seems to be LCHF. It seems to take some adjustment, then people start to like it, and it often automatically reduces people's appetites. It kills three birds with one stone - keeps carbs low, keeps insulin low to make it easier to burn body fat, and keeps appetite low. That doesn't mean it's right for you, if you haven't found that it reduces your appetite (I didn't) then you will need to calorie count.

With the combination of calorie counting and testing your blood sugars before and after meals, and testing your fasting blood sugar, and weighing yourself to make sure you are losing weight, you won't go far wrong no matter what approach you use.

One thorny issue is the radical reduction of resting metabolism as you lose weight. When you get to your target weight, expect to need to eat a lot less than other people of your size if you don't want to regain weight. The effect may be permanent or at least last for very many years. Short term studies show alternate day fasting minimises the reduction in resting metabolism, but a year-long study says weight loss will be roughly the same as plain calorie restriction.

Other short-term studies show you can restrict calories normally and may stand a chance of keeping your resting metabolism up if you occasionally over-eat (see fourth image in this study, i.e. the first graph):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4018593/

That looks very promising, but then so did the studies on alternate-day fasting. So far, no long-term study says that any one method of weight loss is radically better than another. I think the main thing is we all need to expect a battle if we are to lose weight and keep it off for 10 years.

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
You may not need to give these things up forever, it depends. I remember thinking there were a lot of things I would never be able to eat again. Turns out that is not the case. I didn’t have that much weight to lose but lost it and kept very low carb for about 6 months. I have now been experimenting and found I can eat things I didn’t think I could and my BG is just fine.

I haven’t gone back to eating the amount of carbs I used to but have realised if I eat a burger or have some decent beer on occasion I can. It does make it much easier I have to say.

Test and see what works for you.

Thanks CL, I know your right, test test test its the only way. Thanks for help.

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Yes, for me. I lowered from my HbA1c very considerably during a few months of experimentation using all sorts of methods, with the only common theme being weight loss.

For me (and I can't stress enough "for me") there are two very simple rules of thumb:

1) I need to limit carbs in order to avoid harmful spikes after a single intake of food.

2) I need to limit calories in order to have healthy fasting blood sugar levels.

If my weight increases, my fasting levels increase to dangerous levels. This is regardless of carb levels, e.g. they can be 20g a day or 300g a day. If I'm in a period of weight loss (the important aspect there being my liver is cleared of fat, I think) then my fasting levels decrease, again independent of carbs.

I'd bet real money based on every time I've tested this sort of thing, that I could eat nothing but crisps and cake all day, but so long as I limited calories to say 1,600 and went on a walk tonight, I'd wake up tomorrow with a very healthy fasting blood sugar level, because I am in a period of weight loss.

But I don't eat cake and crisps all day, because the HbA1c is not the only picture. It's been demonstrated in a study that two people can get the same HbA1c, but the one who achieved that by always keeping their blood sugar levels below 7.8 2 hours after a meal by eating sensible, low-carb foods, are much less likely to develop diabetic complications. And that's all that's important really - avoiding the complications.

I can get away with carby foods so long as I go on a walk straight afterwards and I'm well established in a period of losing weight. Right now, calories are my main focus. It's working well and I'm enjoying it. But I'm still very carb conscious. I generally keep them low, and will only consider going higher if say I'm in the hills at the weekends or about to go on a walk in the evening.

You have to find what works for you. Make an honest appraisal of your past behaviour with food, how disciplined you are, how likely you are to give in to binges, what you binge on etc. Based on posts in this forum, the most successful method of weight loss seems to be LCHF. It seems to take some adjustment, then people start to like it, and it often automatically reduces people's appetites. It kills three birds with one stone - keeps carbs low, keeps insulin low to make it easier to burn body fat, and keeps appetite low. That doesn't mean it's right for you, if you haven't found that it reduces your appetite (I didn't) then you will need to calorie count.

With the combination of calorie counting and testing your blood sugars before and after meals, and testing your fasting blood sugar, and weighing yourself to make sure you are losing weight, you won't go far wrong no matter what approach you use.

One thorny issue is the radical reduction of resting metabolism as you lose weight. When you get to your target weight, expect to need to eat a lot less than other people of your size if you don't want to regain weight. The effect may be permanent or at least last for very many years. Short term studies show alternate day fasting minimises the reduction in resting metabolism, but a year-long study says weight loss will be roughly the same as plain calorie restriction.

Other short-term studies show you can restrict calories normally and may stand a chance of keeping your resting metabolism up if you occasionally over-eat (see fourth image in this study, i.e. the first graph):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4018593/

That looks very promising, but then so did the studies on alternate-day fasting. So far, no long-term study says that any one method of weight loss is radically better than another. I think the main thing is we all need to expect a battle if we are to lose weight and keep it off for 10 years.

Hi Adam James
Thank you so much for that. I really appreciate this. I have not read the link yet but will read it tonight when I have a bit or quiet and peace so i can digest it all. This is really help full. Everyone here have been great as usual. Im feeling positive again because I am starting to regain my focus. Thanks to you and all.

Reactions: AdamJames

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Sometime I have so big temptation for meal with carbs (mainly bread or dessert)... The trick which works for me is to go for a brisk walk just after this carb meal. So I cheat sometimes - and the brisk walk will do the trick not to go over my target of 7.7 one hour after meal.

Thanks for that. It might be the way I have to deal with my pasta craving for now. Eat it then walk. thanks again

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Have you tried the cook cool and reheat method to see if it has less effect?
I'm not advocating this but if it serves to keep you going low carb for longer then it might help just a thought.
Remember though carbs are addictive and you could well end up undoing all your successes...

Ahh Ive just looked that up. I have not tried it. I gonna give it a go tomorrow and then test. I wont go mad. I know that carbs are addictive but I need to get this out of my system. Thanks for the tip

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Like over boiling veg, dry pasta over cooked but drained from starch once or twice (like rice) whilst cooking will help. (Removing nutrients/starch). Portion size will make the difference.
Is pasta your loss because your addicted to the full feeling in your tummy, especially before bed?
Try and figure out why you cannot stop yearning for pasta. It will hold the key.

Thanks ickihun. Not sure why I have suddenly started craving stuff, I think I will have to get it out of my system. Bulkbiker also advised over boiling etc the pasta so im going to try this and then test but like many on here advise I dont want to end up carb-bingeing like i used to do. Thanks again

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Hi @bootyful0

I know where you are coming from with the food wistfulness!
And I also know that low carb versions are simply not the same, are they?

Maybe the trick is to just eat to your meter.
Start with a clean slate.
Test the foods you are craving, in isolation, and as part of a whole meal, and see what the blood glucose rise is.

When I was low carbing, I did this, and discovered little tweaks and twiddles that kept me in control of my blood glucose, but still left me enjoying foods.

For instance:
- I would could never tolerate a bunch of strawberries on their own as a snack. But half a dozen, in a bowl with double cream at the end of a meal with meat and plenty of veg, and the strawberry 'spike' was negligible.
- I find cherries to be irrisistable. And cherry season is approaching :nailbiting: but one year I sat with a punnet of cherries on my desk all day. I ate 1 cherry every 20 mins. Made the pleasure last all day, AND my blood glucose didn't 'spike' AND it sated my cherry craving for weeks.
- re pasta, there are a few new pastas on the market you could try. Yes, they are substitutes, and yes, they are made from legumes, but I am told they are pretty **** good. Worth a try? I will tag in @Rachox and @maglil55 because I believe they have both tried them.
- as for sweet potatoes, I only ever liked them in curries, and now prefer celeriac, so going without them isn't a hardship. But if you want them, just test run them with your meter, and work out acceptable portion sizes. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck with this.
There is a horrible phase lots of us go through with lower carbing, where it is all about what we are missing.
But if we stick with it, and look around, and try new things, then eventually a switch goes in our heads and we start to notice the things we can enjoy - guilt free - on lower carbing. For me that is certain types of chocolate, cheese glorious cheese, cream in my drinks, and the odd chip, because if chips have been double or triple fried, and are golden crunchy and resistant starchy, then they affect my bg much less than expected.

So, my suggestion is just to eat to your meter, and find where you can reach a balance and still enjoy life.

Brunneria. Thank you so very much. I like the idea of starting again with a clean slate and just eating to my meter to see how it goes. It sounds like a plan. Thanks again

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
View attachment 26242
Re pasta substitutes, I sometimes use Explore Cuisine alternatives see pic, these are the three available in tesco, I haven’t tried the black one yet but the other two are good.
For spaghetti bolognese and lasagne I use butternut squash inplace of pasta.

Thanks Rachox. I have tried them and I know they taste ok. I think i am just going through some weird phase that i need to get over. by the way your HbA1c is impressive. thanks again

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
One way would be to stick to the low carb in general - but have a planned limited 'blow out' once a week for treats and treasures.

Thanks for the suggestion Bamba. Sounds nice

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Hi @bootyful0

I was diagnosed just over 3 years ago. For the first 6 months I weighed everything and recorded and tested before and 2 hours after food. I aimed to eat 500 cals less than I was burning and also adjust foods to what my meter was showing. During that time I lost 2 and a half stone and got my HbA1c down to 33 (now 36). I actually lost more weight than I needed to and got told to put weight back on but probably put too much back on. I can and do eat sweet potatoes but probably only about once a fortnight. Pasta I very seldom have but know I can manage up to 50 grams (about half a normal size portion). My recommendation is eat to your meter as we are all different.

Hi Hiitsme. Thank you so much. I think this is the message i am getting from all you lovely people. My plan is to start again , try different things, test and eat to my meter. I feel better now. Im going to re read over these messages again tonight. Buy brown pasta in the morning and enjoy it in the evening then test. Wish me luck.

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Agree with @Rachox on this I have this pasta twice a week 30g is only 3.9g of carb so easily fits into my less th@n 20g per day keto. I use the bean spaghetti as noodles in a stir fry and the fettuccine with bolognese sauce. Also had carbonara it hits the spot for me.

Thanks Shelley. I think im going to try the real pasta and see how i go. I probably wont have this all the time but i really crave it right now. Thanks for your reply

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe you could eat pasta/mash and such as a small side dish. Next to very low carb food you would still have a low carb meal. I'm on insulin, so that's different, but that's the way I handle sweet desserts at christmas and such, and cake at birthday parties. There is no way I can inject for it without spiking , so I just have two very small bites. I don't miss out that way and still keep my sugars in range. Good luck!

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Maybe you could eat pasta/mash and such as a small side dish. Next to very low carb food you would still have a low carb meal. I'm on insulin, so that's different, but that's the way I handle sweet desserts at christmas and such, and cake at birthday parties. There is no way I can inject for it without spiking , so I just have two very small bites. I don't miss out that way and still keep my sugars in range. Good luck!

Thanks Antje77

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks ickihun. Not sure why I have suddenly started craving stuff, I think I will have to get it out of my system. Bulkbiker also advised over boiling etc the pasta so im going to try this and then test but like many on here advise I dont want to end up carb-bingeing like i used to do. Thanks again
If you get any carb cravings then veg stir-fry fixes mine.

imperp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello. I too have wondered this. If weight loss is so crucial then why not lose it by any means possible. Lots of people lose weigh the SlimmingWorld way which incorporates potatoes pasta and rice in the eat freely bracket. It’s something I am trying myself but I admit still trying to be mindful of carbs. In that if I’m having curry I don’t have chips and rice. I pick one or the other

Hansenguy62

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has improved their HbA1c levels and /or lost weight WITHOUT using the LCHF method or NEWCASTLE diet.

I have been low-carbing ish and I have lost weight and my blood sugar levels have gone down but I want to try eating what I want (within reason) and just think about calories (not carbs- although I don't plan on going wild) I plan on eating around 1300 cals per day but eating meals that include carbs such as brown pasta, rice etc.

Has anyone lowered their blood sugar and/or lost weight whilst not following the LCHF diet or Newcastle diet? If so please can you tell my what you did /ate.

Low carb is not working for me at the moment. Plus I want to eat strawberries, sweet potatoes and pasta.

Also has anyone with T2 tried Slimming World and had success lowering their HbA1c levels and weight.

hope this makes sense
PS I take metforming

Thank you x
Ketogenic diet works wonders

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Hello. I too have wondered this. If weight loss is so crucial then why not lose it by any means possible. Lots of people lose weigh the SlimmingWorld way which incorporates potatoes pasta and rice in the eat freely bracket. It’s something I am trying myself but I admit still trying to be mindful of carbs. In that if I’m having curry I don’t have chips and rice. I pick one or the other

Hi Imperp. That's exactly it. If I just lost weight anyway would it be ok. ? I guess i will just have to experiment. Im starting my whole food journey again and testing as i go. Like you I will still be mindful of carbs but I am going to increase my intake a bit at a time. I,m glad to know that it's not just me who was wondering so thank you for your post.