Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I could have spent three months eating nothing but cookies and pizza and scored 30.

giphy.gif

Eurghhhh.

Though maybe you'd have scored 42 (i.e. within non-diabetic range).

robrenee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was admitted last week and HbA1c was 150 something... I was put onto insulin 15 years ago, then taken of it after I was told they had made a mistake, given tablets for 2 years until there were no more they could give me, and now needles to say I’m back on insulin! Stage 2 retinopathy as well, which I’m hoping I can reverse now I’m back on the right medicine.

LocoRoco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone,

My last one in 6/2017 was 8,8% - I was a bit uresponsible to myself and did not care about diet (too much work and stress , little time to check my body needs:inpain::inpain:)

I am getting my HBA1C results tommorow . I wonder how it changed after 4 months od proper diet and excercise . I really did my best and seeing results around 7% would be so positive and motivating ! :cool::cool:

One more question to clarify - Less HBA1C = more insulin sensitivity and hypo awarness ?

Have a nice day! :happy:

Reactions: gemma_T1

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One more question to clarify - Less HBA1C = more insulin sensitivity and hypo awarness ?

Not necessarily - it gives an average over a time period (around 3 months) but it does not provide the whole picture. For instance, a lowish result could come from someone who is having frequent hyper and hypo episodes including hypos that they are unaware of but it could also be achieved by someone who is managing very well with reasonably stable day to day values and few highs or lows (which are identified and corrected).

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hba1c results was recently 69, which for me is a big achievement due to always being 108. Doctors always looks at me so confused when I look so happy about them

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Less HBA1C = more insulin sensitivity and hypo awarness ?
Well, possibly more insulin sensitivity but no to the better hypo awareness. The main disadvantage of low bgs is that you can lose hypo awareness (obviously not the case for the posters on here who are achieving such awesome HbA1Cs :)). My last HbA1C was 6.9 and my diabetic consultant told me that she's take my driving license away if I didn't raise my blood sugars (I passed out in a shopping centre when I undermedicated a hypo and also had a bad night time hypo). I also lost hypo awareness when I had "normal" bgs during pregnancy, so I do sort of accept that I've got to keep my HbA1C above 7 (but not too much above). I've deliberately raised my blood sugars a bit and had just one hypo is the last month (woke at night with 3.3). Not sure what this will do to my HbA1C but am hoping to keep in the low 7s....

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, injections/needles.......veg salad fibromyalgia
HbA1c 52 mmol/mol this check up

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
44 - 6.2% from last week. Really happy with that, however it looks like I have extra high cholesterol at 13....Need to get checked out at the hospital in the next few weeks to see if it's familial hypercholesterolemia. Scares me a little to see i'm doing everything right, but things keep kicking me in the butt.

SaffyreSkye

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Had to add my daughters on here as I'm mega proud of her! On MDI she was 81 (9.6%). We had a lot of severe issues and struggled immensely with crippling lows and mega highs, partly down to hormonal development. Since getting her pump a year ago in June, her hbA1C on her last check was 50 (6.7%). This is a huge achievement and is down to hard work, patience and pump adherence, as well as a lot of sleepless nights on my part and number crunching. We're still working on things but I'm mega happy about how much better things have been in terms of control over the last year. My daughter is 13 and was diagnosed at the age of 4. Hope and patience are our greatest friends. <3

Reactions: CathP

paulchew1988

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm newly diagnosed type 1 LADA my first result was 131 not sure how to convert that into any percentages. Let's just say doctors were a bit shocked it was so high. =)

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@paulchew1988, I’m type one and my last hba1c was also 131 mmol/mol (how strangle lol) and I’m pretty sure I was told it was 14.1 % and equal to 19.8 mmol as an average blood sugar

paulchew1988

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@paulchew1988, I’m type one and my last hba1c was also 131 mmol/mol (how strangle lol) and I’m pretty sure I was told it was 14.1 % and equal to 19.8 mmol as an average blood sugar
Thanks for the info =) going through my honeymoon phase at the min which is great I suppose. Going from 25ish to 11 BG I feel great.

I know how rubbish I was feeling and assume it was the same for you hope your feeling better!

Mrmcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just had my latest results and i'm currently at 55, last year I was roughly 60ish so that's good, although I have been told I'm possibly celiac!