What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you had a better day today @shelley262
Those salami crisps of @Brunneria are great aren’t they - I bought a load more salami today, and a big kitchen roll!

B: blue cheese and spinach omlette

L: out with friends at an independant cafe so had to make an educated guess - house salad with avocado and halloumi, coffee with cream ( forgot I’m off coffee, it was lovely and no ill effects!)

D: Sea bass fried in coconut oil, with creamed spinach and buttered green beans.
Greek yoghurt and a few raspberries

Had an unbelievable docs appt today: wanted to discuss stopping statins as all my blood results are in normal range now. He started talking about diet, insisting I ate a fist size portion of rice or pasta with my meal, a slice of bread every day and ‘just one biscuit’ he said it was dangerous not to eat carbs. That my liver needed glucose or I’d have too much acid in my blood, then seemed to get in a pickle with ketosis and ketoacidosis. I was hard pushed not to laugh out loud at some of the complete rubbish he was talking but I needed him to refer me for a different ( non diabetes) appointment so had to bite my tongue and smile politely. The fact that all my results are now better than they’ve been for ages by not eating as he was telling me to didn’t seem ironic to him at all!

The cognative dissonance is surreal, isn’t it?

Glad you like the salami crisps. :D

Today was
12.30 egg mayo
5pm salami crisps
6pm lamb henry

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can’t believe your dr - very difficult when they spout rubbish. I’ve just quietly come off all my meds as I’ve gone along as I’ve felt I haven’t needed them anymore. Such a shame isn’t it that they believe that rubbish despite evidence in front of them.

Think I’ll end up doing the same when I’m happy I’m in control.
I still want 3 monthly blood tests to know I’m doing ok so, I’ll have to bite my tongue for a bit.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I’ll end up doing the same when I’m happy I’m in control.
I still want 3 monthly blood tests to know I’m doing ok so, I’ll have to bite my tongue for a bit.

I agree with the three monthly tests. I had them every 2 or 3 months from last May to this Feb. My next one is August so a six month gap! :wideyed: I’m so glad I found MySugr as I know my last three tests have been pretty close to what MySugr indicated. I can’t understand the rationale of Type 2s not testing!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the three monthly tests. I had them every 2 or 3 months from last May to this Feb. My next one is August so a six month gap! :wideyed: I’m so glad I found MySugr as I know my last three tests have been pretty close to what MySugr indicated. I can’t understand the rationale of Type 2s not testing!

Yes the MySugr app is a good way to keep tack of the trends isn’t it? Do you have the free one or paid? I can’t figure out how to show a graph of past results.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lamb henry????

:D It is the bone-in top end of a lamb shank (basically part of a shoulder joint).
Our butcher sells it with that red minty sauce smeared over it. I wash that off before cooking v slowly til succulent. A little of the mint flavour survives.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the livlife from Waitrose and my nearest one is a large store but have heard others say it’s often not in stock in smaller branches so hope yours has it. I buy several and split in bags in freezer. I make it into garlic bread and fry in coconut oil too or toast. HOpe you enjoy it
I do have trouble getting it sometimes but now if I see it I buy several loaves and like you I split them and freeze them.

Reactions: shelley262

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes the MySugr app is a good way to keep tack of the trends isn’t it? Do you have the free one or paid? I can’t figure out how to show a graph of past results.
I use it too it’s quite motivating :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have the free one so the graphs are limited. I enter my readings into Glucose Companion too, I paid £2.99 (I think) it was a one off payment and has good graphs.

Reactions: DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where is the best place to buy Adonis bars? And what is this low carb lemon cake recipe that I am missing out on? *drool*
Hi, I struggled to find Adonis bars locally so went online and bought direct from them, they allow you to mix your order and they also sell brownies in 3 varieties, I ordered Sunday evening and they arrived on Tuesday so didn’t have to wait long.

The lemon cake recipe is on the sugar free website, it’s very easy to make, I made my first one yesterday, however I made 10 small bars instead of 1 large cake.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, really busy day today so I’ve only just caught up and eaten my evening meal!
Breakfast was livlife toast and peanut butter
Lunch, eaten earlier than usual due to having to drive quite a distance for a training session, I had the remaining M&S chorizo crisps, will be trying @Brunneria’s recipe next, chicken, tomato and peppers
Quick snack of almond and peanut popcorn before I went for my monthly treat of a pedicure and facial
Just made a 2 egg omelette but baked it in the oven, ham, cheese, tomato and pepper

Been too busy to test my bloods but this morning 2 hrs after breakfast 5.4 and just now before my omelette 5.1 :)

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D It is the bone-in top end of a lamb shank (basically part of a shoulder joint).
Our butcher sells it with that red minty sauce smeared over it. I wash that off before cooking v slowly til succulent. A little of the mint flavour survives.

Ah! Sounds great, I thought it was another of your strange but delicious concoctions! I love slow cooked lamb shank.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it too it’s quite motivating :)
I use the free one too I’m about to see if it matches my hbaca1 in a week or so! I wasn’t using it last time I just went by averages on my meter which were not far off but mysugr is a much better way of doing it thank you @Rachox i hadn’t heard of it when you mentioned it in a post months ago.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the free one too I’m about to see if it matches my hbaca1 in a week or so! I wasn’t using it last time I just went by averages on my meter which were not far off but mysugr is a much better way of doing it thank you @Rachox i hadn’t heard of it when you mentioned it in a post months ago.
Good luck for your next blood test, fingers crossed the results are what you are hoping for.

I’m about to go off on holiday and my next test will be a couple of weeks after I get back, so I will need to make sensible choices while away as this period will be included in my 3mth average :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck for your next blood test, fingers crossed the results are what you are hoping for.

I’m about to go off on holiday and my next test will be a couple of weeks after I get back, so I will need to make sensible choices while away as this period will be included in my 3mth average :)
I’m going on holiday in two weeks just after my results not sure if that’s good or bad - as will be 6 months then until my next one so the holiday isn’t in the counting period! Seriously I now can’t imagine living any other way but you can’t always tell what’s hidden in food cooked for you. Hope you have a great break away.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a 24 hour fast today so didn't eat until dinner, which was sausage patties, bacon, eggs, emmental cheese, green beans, lettuce and cucumber.

I had a PhD Smart brownie bar I found in Tesco but upon further research it seems the Maltitol in it may give me a spike later - currently waiting on results!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going on holiday in two weeks just after my results not sure if that’s good or bad - as will be 6 months then until my next one so the holiday isn’t in the counting period! Seriously I now can’t imagine living any other way but you can’t always tell what’s hidden in food cooked for you. Hope you have a great break away.
I hope that whatever your results you will still have a lovely holiday. If you get good news that will help you to stay on track while you are away. If the results aren’t quite what you hoped for you could maybe use the holiday as a little break to relax, remotivate and refocus and then on your return start again, as you say your holiday period won’t be taken into account for your next test.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Another late night at work yesterday, so posting late.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A serving of rhubarb compote with whipped cream (both sweetened with erythritol), half a DD keto roll with chicken liver pate.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Two glasses of dry red wine, Explore Cuisine mung-bean edamame fettuccine with steak strips, mushrooms and creme fraiche, a coffee-caramel flan, two squares of 85% chocolate.

@DJC3 -- Unfortunately, have to report that the two glasses of wine did not help to improve my fasting levels. I woke up to 5.4 (same as yesterday morning when I didn't have wine the night before), which then dropped to 5.1 one and a half hour later and 4.7 two and a half hours after getting up. It truly is a mystery.

@jayney27 and @shelley262 -- Have a wonderful holiday, you both deserve it.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually eat dinner around 7.30-8.00 and post afterwards, but I’m of out to see Jason Manford at the theatre tonight, so I’ll have to eat earlier. Therefore I’ll post what I’ve had so far and what I’m planning for dinner.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: homemade cream of mushroom soup with a Joseph’s low carb pitta followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: Hartleys 10cal jelly and black coffee.
Dinner will be mature cheddar and mushroom omelette with salad of some kind, followed by strawberries and cream.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Another late night at work yesterday, so posting late.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A serving of rhubarb compote with whipped cream (both sweetened with erythritol), half a DD keto roll with chicken liver pate.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Two glasses of dry red wine, Explore Cuisine mung-bean edamame fettuccine with steak strips, mushrooms and creme fraiche, a coffee-caramel flan, two squares of 85% chocolate.

@DJC3 -- Unfortunately, have to report that the two glasses of wine did not help to improve my fasting levels. I woke up to 5.4 (same as yesterday morning when I didn't have wine the night before), which then dropped to 5.1 one and a half hour later and 4.7 two and a half hours after getting up. It truly is a mystery.

@jayney27 and @shelley262 -- Have a wonderful holiday, you both deserve it.
Thank you :)