The Fabulous Fasters Group Fast April 2018

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am indeed new, @Freema pointed out a similar thing in the other thread. I more than likely have a very fatty liver, so I will just hang in there and not measure myself by you more experienced folk.

I'm taking my Metformin, which is my only drug for diabetes. I do take fenofexadine for urticaria but I also stopped taking Omeprazol two days ago. Thought that would be a good idea whilst my stomach acid is going to be low. Apart from that I only take a spray for my COPD.
Your profile mentions gliclazide when did you stop taking those?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should remove that. I stopped taking Glic after one week when I decided to control it by diet. So haven't been on anything except Met since.
Ok was just going to say if you had stopped it recently then that could account for your elevated bloods but I reckon it is just your body say phew! lets get rid of this glucose. Had you done any intermittent fasting beforehand or were you still a three meals a day person?

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst fasting then, how are people replacing the electrolytes? Or does it not matter if tis only a few days at a time?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst fasting then, how are people replacing the electrolytes? Or does it not matter if tis only a few days at a time?
I add salt to my coffee and take a teaspoon of magnesium each evening before bed. But over a few days I don't think it's too important.

Reactions: rab5

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok was just going to say if you had stopped it recently then that could account for your elevated bloods but I reckon it is just your body say phew! lets get rid of this glucose. Had you done any intermittent fasting beforehand or were you still a three meals a day person?

I did do a 36 hour fast recently. My normal eating patterns are odd in that I will often skip meals but will graze on nuts, olives or bits of cheese. I'd say I'm more a two meals a day person with grazing. I am a big meat eater though and love my curry nights.

Reactions: Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did do a 36 hour fast recently. My normal eating patterns are odd in that I will often skip meals but will graze on nuts, olives or bits of cheese. I'd say I'm more a two meals a day person with grazing. I am a big meat eater though and love my curry nights.
The grazing isn't so great really. The theory is that each time you eat you trigger an insulin response whereas by not eating you don't. That's why I never eat before lunch and sometimes only have dinner. I realise you work odd hours so it might not be that easy to avoid grazing but maybe by having one or two larger meals it would help?

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The grazing isn't so great really. The theory is that each time you eat you trigger an insulin response whereas by not eating you don't. That's why I never eat before lunch and sometimes only have dinner. I realise you work odd hours so it might not be that easy to avoid grazing but maybe by having one or two larger meals it would help?

I can certainly do that, it isn't much of a change in habits. If I just go for lunch and dinner I can keep the times pretty consistent whatever shift pattern I'm on. Thank you.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Big change this morning took a selfie. I may have lost some weight

Skeletons-Our-Buried-Bones-740x416.jpg

Reactions: rom35 and Freema

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Thu, 26 Apr 2018

57:06 hrs fasting
09:06 hrs FBG 4.0

58:09 hrs fasting
10:09 hrs FBG 4.2 . Ketones: 3.1

Weight: 12st 0.5 (lost 6.5)
BMI 23.5 ish

I have lost a bit of weight, however from experience and reading Dr JF I know that 50% will be water and the rest fat. So thats 1.5kg of fat give or take.....

SLEEPING: I have this wee app that tells me my sleeping pattern has been good, I have experienced this before while fasting.

HUNGER: It comes and goes, its more mental than anything else so far Im not saying its easy but Im quite stubborn about it. I dont expect it to get any worse it will now be easier from here on in.

I'm into my 3rd day and I know I will be buzzing and in good form from what I have experienced before within myself typing this I know Im starting to be even more sharp and aware.

My FBG is hovering around 4 mostly but during the day I would expect that to drop a little....

Onwards and upwards!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You lot rock!

I’m on a bus feeling smug and at the ‘food? Pah!’ stage when the two ladies in front of me start munching on shortbread fingers, my all time favourite biscuit.
The saliva in my mouth is working overtime and my pancreas is crying.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Full of admiration for y'all. I am now doing my 2nd OMAD stylee 24hr fast but this time with only 30 mls double cream in tea. I will hopefully follow this with an extended fast in May and again early June if results go well. For those who have done this before, does the body bounce back to pre fast bg levels or have a long lasting reset?

Last edited:

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Full of admiration for y'all. I am now doing my 2nd OMAD stylee 24hr fast but this time with only 30 mls double cream in tea. I will hopefully follow this with an extended fast in May and again early June if results go well. For those who have done this before, does the body bounce back to pre fast fbg levels or have a long lasting reset?
I hope this is a bi monthly event for the fasting troop...

I have found that after fasting control of your FBG levels stay low with good LCHF discipline. Giving your pancreas a rest can only be good.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope this is a bi monthly event for the fasting troop...

I have found that after fasting control of your FBG levels stay low with good LCHF discipline. Giving your pancreas a rest can only be good.
Thanks rab5 and I salute you for your determination to take back control.

Reactions: Freema and rab5

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid afternoon reading
BG 3.8
Ketones 5.2
not really hungry.. only had 2 china teas and a coffee so far today.. time for another and some salt.

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Good going all!! Watching with interest. Just a question as I see a number of you mentioning having cream with coffee/tea. Does that not break your fast?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good going all!! Watching with interest. Just a question as I see a number of you mentioning having cream with coffee/tea. Does that not break your fast?
Nope.. well not in my version of fasting.. there are many types.. pure water fast, no food fast (which is what I do), fat fast, egg fast,you name it there are many ways of skinnying a cat!