Prediabetes Binge eating disorder

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @rolypolypudding
I think that your comment about exercise expectations was interesting, about wanting to do it all at once. It sounds like you might be goal driven so perhaps drawing up a plan e.g 5 minutes of walking each day for a week and system of non-food rewards could help - then you have acheived something.
Yes I am goal driven and respond well to clear direction. My main weakness is wanting to achieve everything yesterday, then feel inclined to give up because obviously I can't achieve everything all at once. And weight loss is slow and painstaking even if plans are adhered to. losing 2 pounds per week on average seems not very much when I have around 6 stone to lose. However, thinking that way leads to defeat so I'll do as you suggest and set myself some clear and realistic goals.

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
"I am feeling more optimistic due to the support I have received."
That is good to hear. I know how hard it can be. I have never had an eating disorder but mt husband eats all the things I can't and leaves biscuits, chocolate etc all over the place and sometimes I can't stop myself from eating them. It is usually when I am stressed about something. The important thing is not to dwell on it or more stress, more bad eating etc. Just put it behind you and try even harder.
It is a diffuclt road to travel but the alternative is not good!
I'm very lucky in that respect. My husband rarely buys cake and chocolate so I have nothing in the house to tempt me. It's just every time I pass a shop I am tempted to go in and buy something. Often I forget I have already eaten something sweet, and then go and buy more. Keeping a food diary should help with that.
You're right in finding that stress makes it harder to avoid a binge. At least I don't feel tempted by sugary soft drinks or alcohol so all is not bad. And as you so rightly say, the alternative is not good.
I'm awaiting the results of my latest blood test. I've had the same reading now for 5 years, but can't guarantee that will continue so I need to get my act together.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I am goal driven and respond well to clear direction. My main weakness is wanting to achieve everything yesterday, then feel inclined to give up because obviously I can't achieve everything all at once. And weight loss is slow and painstaking even if plans are adhered to. losing 2 pounds per week on average seems not very much when I have around 6 stone to lose. However, thinking that way leads to defeat so I'll do as you suggest and set myself some clear and realistic goals.
Hi @rolypolypudding - that's good advice from @Diakat. I haven't had a binge-eating disorder but I do find the motivation for exercising very difficult. May I suggest you buy yourself a cheap pedometer - I have a 3D FitBud - as it's amazing how many steps you clock up just doing routine things like shopping. Ignore trying to get to 10k steps though - that was just an advertising thing! You could set yourself an achievable goal of a certain number of steps a day and you'll soon realise that you can gently up that figure. If you have the money then there are some amazing fitbit gizmos on the market, with GPS positioning, altimeters, heart monitors, sleep monitors etc. An Apple thingy has helped a friend of mine hugely as they like hi-tech gadgets and they are also goal-oriented (lots of graphs and stuff - he's an engineer....) and it's also helped him to work out how to get better sleep. The 2lb/week does seem endless - one suggestion I came across was to weigh yourself in kg as it then doesn't seem so daunting. I'm not sure of the reason for that but it may be worth a try. Wishing you all the best with your goals.

Reactions: Diakat

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @rolypolypudding - that's good advice from @Diakat. I haven't had a binge-eating disorder but I do find the motivation for exercising very difficult. May I suggest you buy yourself a cheap pedometer - I have a 3D FitBud - as it's amazing how many steps you clock up just doing routine things like shopping. Ignore trying to get to 10k steps though - that was just an advertising thing! You could set yourself an achievable goal of a certain number of steps a day and you'll soon realise that you can gently up that figure. If you have the money then there are some amazing fitbit gizmos on the market, with GPS positioning, altimeters, heart monitors, sleep monitors etc. An Apple thingy has helped a friend of mine hugely as they like hi-tech gadgets and they are also goal-oriented (lots of graphs and stuff - he's an engineer....) and it's also helped him to work out how to get better sleep. The 2lb/week does seem endless - one suggestion I came across was to weigh yourself in kg as it then doesn't seem so daunting. I'm not sure of the reason for that but it may be worth a try. Wishing you all the best with your goals.
Hi Sue
I've installed an app on my phone which simply records the number of steps I've achieved, and kiloms per hour. I've not done as badly as I thought because you're right, the number of steps does mount up even for routine tasks such as shopping. I'm averaging out at about 4000 steps so far. I'm trying to do short bursts of activity,rather than a lot in one go which seems too overwhelming. I did actually achieve 10,000 steps and 6 kilos an hour on one day, but am not fit enough yet to do that amount consistently. I seem to have the mentality of a sprinter rather than a marathon runner, so best to do something that fits in with my personality.
The idea of weighing in kilos is worth a try - my bathroom scales have the option of metric or imperial.