Bread ... why?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be interesting to try half a slice of each, neat, and see what the different effects are.

"I read somewhere"... for example that some people get worse spikes with white bread, but some get worse spikes with wholemeal, and it was thought that gut bacteria may explain the difference as that seemed to be a common factor among the people tested.
and of course people with no bread don't get the spikes (well not from bread anyway)..

edit to add let's get this thread back on course...!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing my first ever full-on OGTT in real time. Next reading will be the 60 minute mark.

It's very sobering. So far, the numbers are telling me

1) I am in fact diabetic, I hadn't been imagining it
2) I'm going to need a bigger meter
3) I shouldn't be eating bread
4) I certainly shouldn't be doing an OGTT

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing my first ever full-on OGTT in real time. Next reading will be the 60 minute mark.

It's very sobering. So far, the numbers are telling me

1) I am in fact diabetic, I hadn't been imagining it
2) I'm going to need a bigger meter
3) I shouldn't be eating bread
4) I certainly shouldn't be doing an OGTT
I hope you didn't use fried bread for your 75 of glucose..!

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its potatoes I miss the most...
but bread is a staple food for most for breakfast and lunch.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have often wondered why we see so many threads about bread?
I gave it up and don't miss it but many people spend ages trying to find low carb bread (which must surely be an oxymoron).
So why do you think we need to eat it?
Habit, lack of imagination or does it fill another role (intentional pun) in our lives? I'm interested to have your thoughts.
Apart from bringing back some weird childhood memories, the smell of bread is evocative. Home baked bread and the smell of toast makes me feel good and reminds me of my mum. I can do without it most of the time except when I have a boiled egg and definitely need soldiers.

Reactions: Sue192
D

Deleted member 308541

Apart from bringing back some weird childhood memories, the smell of bread is evocative. Home baked bread and the smell of toast makes me feel good and reminds me of my mum. I can do without it most of the time except when I have a boiled egg and definitely need soldiers.
I have watched "The Crown" on Netflix, in the second series, one episode is about Charles and the DoE is giving him a bit of a serve while Charles is having his breakfast soft boiled egg/s.

Charles has two flunkies cutting his toast into "soldiers" for him, which I found funny.

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
There are other things to take into consideration as well as carbs. The sadly no longer available Lidl rolls were stuffed full of fibre and omega 3, not to mention protein. I imagine it is similar with other low carb breads.
I used to like the Lidl rolls - didn’t realise they were no longer available! Shame. I don’t low carb as such but I have reduced it a lot

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have watched "The Crown" on Netflix, in the second series, one episode is about Charles and the DoE is giving him a bit of a serve while Charles is having his breakfast soft boiled egg/s.

Charles has two flunkies cutting his toast into "soldiers" for him, which I found funny.
I make my own soldiers.
This is fun
71BR0NDZFIL._SL1500_.jpg

D

Deleted member 308541

We are lucky downunder with one product that The Low Carb Dietitian put my T2 Mum on.
Not sure if its available outside Australia, but its very tasty. Im not T1 or T2, but I freeze it, and enjoy it occasionally , toasted with eggs...

https://hermanbrot.com.au/products/low-carb-bread/

View attachment 26272
Thanks for the link @lbd, just checked and they sell it at the Stockland Shopping Centre Westpoint Centre Shop 3A, 107 Takalvan St, near where we shop in Bundaberg.

Will be checking it out next shopping day. :D

Edit: Put the correct shopping centre in.

Last edited by a moderator:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I have two medium thickness (without crusts) slices of bread which, togerther with sausages, chicken, cheese, tomatoes, fish, etc., etc, give so many suggestions for diabetic meals - the slices are not high in carbs - for my evening/late meal. STOP this insanity or die of starvation and not Diabetes - come on !!??

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have two medium thickness (without crusts) slices of bread which, togerther with sausages, chicken, cheese, tomatoes, fish, etc., etc, give so many suggestions for diabetic meals - the slices are not high in carbs - for my evening/late meal. STOP this insanity or die of starvation and not Diabetes - come on !!??

Die of starvation?? Relying on bread or die??

I've not ate bread and still here! 6 months of bread when recommended by certain medics and other diabetic... well, no. Never. And I'm a T1 so can supposedly inject for it.

For me certain foods add to my colon problems and bread is certainly one.

If I have a slither of a piece my meds that night for my colon will have to triple..

I havent starved. Sure with cancer I lost too much weight but that was due to other problems. I got a good BMI of 21 and certainly not starved!!

Reactions: Guzzler

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought a small unsliced loaf of wholemeal bread today, from my local Tesco's. I ate the end slice, with the crust, it was absolutely yummy. Only about 10 grams of carbs. Hello B vitamins, I said, let me consume you, hello magnesium, hello phosphorous, hello manganese, hello selenium, and hello to some iron too.

It was crunchy, chewy, fresh, absolutely gorgeous.

Apparently, according to an article in the Daily Mail :) the more you enjoy what you eat, the more vitamins you absorb.

Then I said "Why, freshly baked, unsliced bread, are you so delicious?"

singsteve

I have often wondered why we see so many threads about bread?
I gave it up and don't miss it but many people spend ages trying to find low carb bread (which must surely be an oxymoron).
So why do you think we need to eat it?
Habit, lack of imagination or does it fill another role (intentional pun) in our lives? I'm interested to have your thoughts.
check out Amylopectin A and you might not eat bread again

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
STOP this insanity or die of starvation and not Diabetes - come on !!??

I can testify that it is quite possible to put on weight without eating bread. You aren't exactly removing a food group by cutting out bread and it certainly won't lead to either malnutrition or starvation!