What foods to avoid?

davidM1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, I have been reading through the forums and have seen a lot of people saying to avoid this and avoid that, I have good control over my Blood sugars and I don’t avoid anything apart from the obvious things like sweets and sugary drinks etc, I simply carb count and basically eat what I like, so what my question is, is there anything I really should avoid from your experiences, to save me from complications in the future.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
too much salt?
With keeping track of food so I could carb count I was also collecting all other food parameters at the same time without realising.
Recently I did look at the other columns for sodium and saturated fat on MyFitnessPal and found I was going way over recommended levels and had over 2 years of these records.

Hampshire_Lad

Hello all, I have been reading through the forums and have seen a lot of people saying to avoid this and avoid that, I have good control over my Blood sugars and I don’t avoid anything apart from the obvious things like sweets and sugary drinks etc, I simply carb count and basically eat what I like, so what my question is, is there anything I really should avoid from your experiences, to save me from complications in the future.

If you dont mind me asking, how many carbs do you aim for in a day?
And what level of diabetic are you currently? I'm type 2 and just about i think (when i get the results of my latest blood test) to go on the dreaded metformin tablets :(

farmerk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Personally I have cut out completely or severely restricted the "dodgy" five of Bread, Pasta, Rice, Cereal & Potatoes with positive results so far.

Reactions: Lucy18

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Root vegetables & beans should be eaten in very limited quantities.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, I have been reading through the forums and have seen a lot of people saying to avoid this and avoid that,

It depends entirely what your goals are. If you want to stay controlled and without diabetes complications, then there are plenty of foods to avoid. Starches, grains, sweeteners, certain sugar alcohols, low fat foods(usually contain more sugars), milk, yoghurt, sweets, cakes, biscuits, fruit(lots of fructose), root veg such as potatoes(too much starch), beers ciders, perries. I also limit my carbohydrate consumption. On that way of eating you eat no processed foods, so the need to limit salt disappears.
It works, my HbA1c is now 42.
\of course you can eat what you like, and just inject insulin, but I prefer to reduce my insulin needs as much as possible. This limits weight gain.

davidM1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends entirely what your goals are. If you want to stay controlled and without diabetes complications, then there are plenty of foods to avoid. Starches, grains, sweeteners, certain sugar alcohols, low fat foods(usually contain more sugars), milk, yoghurt, sweets, cakes, biscuits, fruit(lots of fructose), root veg such as potatoes(too much starch), beers ciders, perries. I also limit my carbohydrate consumption. On that way of eating you eat no processed foods, so the need to limit salt disappears.
It works, my HbA1c is now 42.
\of course you can eat what you like, and just inject insulin, but I prefer to reduce my insulin needs as much as possible. This limits weight gain.

Okay thanks for the reply, but as I said i above I don’t avoid many things and just inject the relevant amount of insulin and my HBA1C is 35 / 5.3% guess I’m just lucky