Absorption rates

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone, recently I have been injecting into my thighs to help my stomach recover and heal.

But I have a slight hunch that when injecting into my legs the insulin is absorbed slower than if shooting into my stomach? A DSN has said that injecting into legs does do that (I never believed her tbh) but a consultant nurse said other wise.

Now is it just that my carb counting is off and that’s the reason for the spikes in blood sugar or is it that injecting into different areas has an effect on blood sugars?

Any knowledge on the matter is greatly appreciated!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me personally the effect of different sites is negligible, however that might not be the case for others....

as usual you would look to get a few days readings under your belt to work out if it is the location or something else...

D

Deleted Account

I think it is one of those cases of "it depends".
I am very active with lots of walking and running and was told injecting in my legs and then moving them a lot would increase the absorption rate. Whereas, unless I did 30 minutes of sit ups, I wasn't likely to have the same affect injecting in my belly.

I guess it is possible to have a different effect if you sit still after injecting but I can't seem to do that very well.

I agree with @novorapidboi26 : give it a few days to check there is a pattern for you before making big changes.
There are so many things which affect our BG it is hard to tell what is the issue after one or two days: is it illness, stress, injection sites, less exercise, the heat, ...?

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me personally the effect of different sites is negligible, however that might not be the case for others....

as usual you would look to get a few days readings under your belt to work out if it is the location or something else...
Hmm that’s what I’m thinking because injecting into different sites has never been a problem, but as usual with something like this there are far too many variables too consider. I think I’ll carry on shooting into my legs for a couple more days see how it goes and then go back to my stomach.

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is one of those cases of "it depends".
I am very active with lots of walking and running and was told injecting in my legs and then moving them a lot would increase the absorption rate. Whereas, unless I did 30 minutes of sit ups, I wasn't likely to have the same affect injecting in my belly.

I guess it is possible to have a different effect if you sit still after injecting but I can't seem to do that very well.

I agree with @novorapidboi26 : give it a few days to check there is a pattern for you before making big changes.
There are so many things which affect our BG it is hard to tell what is the issue after one or two days: is it illness, stress, injection sites, less exercise, the heat, ...?
It’s so confusing really as I have experienced blood sugars dropping quicker after using my thighs but that’s because the weather was hot.

That’s the biggest issue is having to consider all the other possibilities. But when my sugars are sitting at 12-16mmol I do end up feeling very frustrated with it all. But I’ll take the advice you’ve both suggested and evaluate after a few days and see where I am.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm that’s what I’m thinking because injecting into different sites has never been a problem, but as usual with something like this there are far too many variables too consider. I think I’ll carry on shooting into my legs for a couple more days see how it goes and then go back to my stomach.

For me, rotating injections sites was always on top of the priority list, as getting lumps is unsightly but more important, bad years down the line...;)

D

Deleted Account

For me, rotating injections sites was always on top of the priority list, as getting lumps is unsightly but more important, bad years down the line...;)
The advantage of bruising easily was that I always knew where I injected yesterday and wouldn't inject there today.
Moving on to a pump, my tummy looks like a dot-to-dot (not sure what the image it) from the cannula placements over the last couple of weeks so, again, it is easy to ensure I rotate my sites.

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that's what I'm looking to focus on really, as I've only been a type 1 for 2 years now (although those 2 years have flown by) and I just want to make sure I try and stay on top of things the best I can, which I'm sure every type 1 feels the same.

LewisK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The advantage of bruising easily was that I always knew where I injected yesterday and wouldn't inject there today.
Moving on to a pump, my tummy looks like a dot-to-dot (not sure what the image it) from the cannula placements over the last couple of weeks so, again, it is easy to ensure I rotate my sites.
yeah I'm the same, being blessed with rather pale skin means some of my injection bruises last a few days!! I've gathered some results from a few days testing but may have to spend a couple weeks really scrutinising my sugars and evaluating my injection sites before I come to a solid conclusion!