How not to fart on low carb ???

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never had any farty issues with sprouts or (cooked) cabbage... and definitely not kale either since starting low carb.

I used to have a little dog, who when he was old and very sick would fart for England. He used to be very offended by these strange nasties that came out of his rear end and would shoot across the room to escape whenever they occurred - I used to call him my little methane propelled dog. I never knew if I should laugh or cry for him! :):(

Robbity

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
My new favourite foods are Brussels sprouts, kale, raw cabbage, and the delicious Polish cabbage salad in jars.

Cans of kidney beans with a bit of balsamic vinegar, chick peas are also a quick fix.

These are very fartogenic foods. Is there any way to fart less? I cleared a room of teenagers last week with it

I'm not surprised. I have gone low-carb and am enjoying similar events. Fortunately, there's my non-diabetic wife, who has also gone low carb, to put up with me, though in trumping, she can more than hold her own!! If you go near pickled onions as well, all I can do is advise you to keep away from naked flames! :woot:

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
No help on the wind front, sorry.
Tell me more about "the delicious Polish cabbage salad in jars"

Hj
I guess this is similar to German pickled cabbage , or Sauerkraut, available in tins or jars...

jooleecee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hot weather, hot weather, hot weather
My new favourite foods are Brussels sprouts, kale, raw cabbage, and the delicious Polish cabbage salad in jars.

Cans of kidney beans with a bit of balsamic vinegar, chick peas are also a quick fix.

These are very fartogenic foods. Is there any way to fart less? I cleared a room of teenagers last week with it

An aside: Have you tried the delicious Korean spicy fermented cabbage Kimchee? Naturally fermented foods are especially good for the gut biome.

I experienced incredible fartiness with the keto diet in the beginning. I didn't do beans b/c they're considered carbs, but I did notice that when I ate non-starchy veg I farted up a storm. Lots of thunder ... possibly lightning. Once I couldn't hold it in while in an elevator (lift?) with five of my co-workers. On the 9th floor. With many stops on the way down to the 1st floor. That stank probably haunted the elevator for the rest of the day. I don't know because I didn't go near it.

Here's what I found: If I'm eating something new or eating a lot more of something, almost no matter what it is, I'm gonna fart for a couple of weeks. Is there something called "Beano" where you are? It's an enzyme that helps break down the sugars in beans to minimize farts - if you plan to keep eating cans of beans and find them still to be fartogenic after 2-3 weeks. It's drops you put on the food before you eat it. Doesn't really have a flavor so it won't spoil your meal.

Or maybe pick a different food that's not beans or peas? Non-starchy veg is a must for everyone, imo, but if you're suddenly eating much more veg than you were, try to sequester yourself in a room with really good ventilation for a few weeks.

Good luck, my friend!

Reactions: hankjam

JoyceK

Add parsley and mint to home cooked foods and it takes away the pong

sten.bjorsell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes

Hj
You can buy it in the polis shops. Ask for in salt, not in vinegar as the salted versions contain the live good bacteria. (The bad ones die in the salt.) Or make at home with a salt solution 2% or max 3% unrefined sea salt. 2% = 20 gram per liter or approx. 2 tablespoons per liter. Just chop up any raw veggies like cabbage, kale, carrots or what you like into a glass jar with lid ( the one from the polish shop), push it down and pour the salt solution (brine) to cover it and more. As long as all is below the level of the brine no mold will form at the top. Takes about 7 days in room temp to complete. Lasts a year in the fridge or "food cellar" temp. Provides both probiotic bacteria and prebiotic food that will start reduce blood sugar two ways: More propionate and butyrate to repair insulin resistance, and less blood sugar rising carbs when more resistant is consumed! Add soaked oats daily with about 14% (very high!) resistant starch compared to cooked oats that have only 1.5%.
Diabetes and metabolic syndrome may soon become history! I am trying.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can buy it in the polis shops. Ask for in salt, not in vinegar as the salted versions contain the live good bacteria. (The bad ones die in the salt.) Or make at home with a salt solution 2% or max 3% unrefined sea salt. 2% = 20 gram per liter or approx. 2 tablespoons per liter. Just chop up any raw veggies like cabbage, kale, carrots or what you like into a glass jar with lid ( the one from the polish shop), push it down and pour the salt solution (brine) to cover it and more. As long as all is below the level of the brine no mold will form at the top. Takes about 7 days in room temp to complete. Lasts a year in the fridge or "food cellar" temp. Provides both probiotic bacteria and prebiotic food that will start reduce blood sugar two ways: More propionate and butyrate to repair insulin resistance, and less blood sugar rising carbs when more resistant is consumed! Add soaked oats daily with about 14% (very high!) resistant starch compared to cooked oats that have only 1.5%.
Diabetes and metabolic syndrome may soon become history! I am trying.

Many thanks for taking the time to write this up. I will surely be setting it up this weekend.
Best wishes to you.
Hj

stevetur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gameboys,xboxes etc, and the poor sods who use facebook etc instead of having a real life.
My downfall is french onion soup, after eating a bowl of the aforementioned delicacy i once managed to clear the entire staff of the building where I worked, About 60 people in all.. I was then sent home until I was more human freindly.
I also remember sitting in the garden one sunny day, and letting rip. all you could hear for the next ten minutes was the slamming of open windows downwind. I am now Banned from eating onions forever!!!.

Reactions: Sweet_Sophie

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

A useful tool in the arsenal, then, apparently!

kipkatzzz_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Swissmiss. I've been a veggie/ vegan since 1983 and I remember when I "saw the light" that eating beans acted like rocket fuel. Fortunately, your gut will adjust though it may take a little time. In the beginning try going for "softer" beans like butter beans or aduki before you build up to the big boys. Also, rinse, rinse and rinse again - those enzymes can create gases that are not of this planet, so wash ''em out.

As for the veg, try one green leafy veg alongside peas, or runner beans. Two leafy veg and red kidneys in one meal requires seat belts and comes with a govt health warning.

Try keeping meat to a minimum or eliminate it. The meat is rotting in your gut and isn't helping at all.

Good luck

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Add parsley and mint to home cooked foods and it takes away the pong
Parsley's also apparently good for garlic breath...and it's a good source of iron and other minerals & vitamins - so an excellent all round addition to our diets farty or otherwise! :)

Robbity

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders

I've found Sprouts and green veg do same for me, but for the added aromatic (NON-PLEASANT) my daily intake of Creon Tablets give it that "piggy" stonk (mostly and thankfully hen in bed), even my cat yowls in terror!

ohneclue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have found the opposite since going low carb, no bloating and very little wind even though I feel full most of the time. Maybe I need more green fuel hehe

Yes cutting out starchy foods which lowers the carbs the most works well. So does taking prebiotics and probiotics that help to make the gut more efficient in processing our foods. Since I started pre and probiotics, there is less odor to the contents as well. Nothing like a healthy gut is my feeling. :)

Reactions: swissmiss

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't what I've eaten recently but I've been going like a freight train....
:)

zuckerhonig

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hj
Hi, the delicious Polish cabbage salad in jars is actually fermented cabbage. We know it here, in the UK, as Sauerkraut, which is the German version. Sorry I can't remember the Polish name. Anyway, it is yummy and a doddle to make on your own.

The shop stuff is okay, but if it's the cheap variety, it is probably pasteurized - effectively killing all the good, healthy bacteria. If you make your own, it tastes better and is much cheaper than the posh, unpasteurized versions.

I recently bought two cabbages for 38 pence. I got two large jars of fermented cabbage out of that. Just Google 'Better done yourself' or search directly on YouTube.

Reactions: swissmiss

swissmiss

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, the delicious Polish cabbage salad in jars is actually fermented cabbage. We know it here, in the UK, as Sauerkraut, which is the German version. Sorry I can't remember the Polish name. Anyway, it is yummy and a doddle to make on your own.

The shop stuff is okay, but if it's the cheap variety, it is probably pasteurized - effectively killing all the good, healthy bacteria. If you make your own, it tastes better and is much cheaper than the posh, unpasteurized versions.

I recently bought two cabbages for 38 pence. I got two large jars of fermented cabbage out of that. Just Google 'Better done yourself' or search directly on YouTube.
I’m afraid if I buy the cabbage myself I eat it raw or braised. I love hearing about the science of it! What I buy is Salatka Obiadowa, or the red stuff is Kapusta Czerwona. It’s much tastier than sauerkraut and I give myself permission to eat as many ready to eat lower carb foods as I need; I compare it not to the best cabbage I could eat but to a sandwich. Colon cancer history in my family and I often find it a chore to eat meat, so I wouldn’t ‘beef up’ . Thanks so much for all the tips; will try them all. Also, Asda sell frozen soy beans, I had these in a pack of Japanese Awase soup.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a couple of farty days recently too, but definitely not from consumpion of any of the general vegetable culprits (which I live quite happily with) - I believe it was from a little pot of quark and kefir mix - supposedly "naturally packed with billions of gut-friendly bacteria" which my gut apparently took seriously explosive exception to - more's the pity as I'd quite enjoyed it...:banghead:

Robbity

zuckerhonig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m afraid if I buy the cabbage myself I eat it raw or braised. I love hearing about the science of it! What I buy is Salatka Obiadowa, or the red stuff is Kapusta Czerwona. It’s much tastier than sauerkraut and I give myself permission to eat as many ready to eat lower carb foods as I need; I compare it not to the best cabbage I could eat but to a sandwich. Colon cancer history in my family and I often find it a chore to eat meat, so I wouldn’t ‘beef up’ . Thanks so much for all the tips; will try them all. Also, Asda sell frozen soy beans, I had these in a pack of Japanese Awase soup.
Hi,

Talking of Japanese food, natto is another fantastic food that is very good for your microbiome - the so-called good bacteria - it's made by fermenting soybeans and generally comes in small polystyrene containers in packs of four. I get it from the frozen section of my local Chinese supermarket. It's very cheap and is excellent as a tasty side to any dish. Just take it out of the freezer a couple of hours before consuming and you're away.

I'd have to admit, though, that it's not exactly to everyone's taste as it has a rather strong flavour.