Patient's Choice Award: Low-Carb Nurse Advocate Nominated!

Biggles2

The Patient's Choice Award is for members of the public to thank a nurse, midwife, health visitor, healthcare assistant or assistant practitioner who has made a real difference to their or a loved one's healthcare.

The judges for this category are only responsible for deciding the five finalists. The winner is then decided by public vote and will be announced at the Awards ceremony on Wednesday 4 July.

One of the 5 finalists is Catherine Cassell, Diabetes Nurse at Preston Grove Medical Centre in Somerset:

In the last year Catherine has seen hugely significant benefits in people’s health after focusing on low carb diets.

She said: “I have had the most amazing results with patients eating low carb diets. Patients with pre-diabetes have reversed and patients with type 2 diabetes have gone into remission. One chap has lost over eight stone in 11 months. I have never seen so many patients improve their HbA1c levels lose weight so much. Also their lipids improve, fatty livers, GI symptoms, mood, energy; just so many things! It has been wonderful to take people of medications, stop insulin or not have to start meds in the first place.”​

http://diabetestimes.co.uk/low-carb-nurse-advocate-up-for-top-health-award/

To Vote for Catherine:

https://secure.rcni.com/nurse-awards/patients-choice-voting.asp

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I voted for this lass, too. Thanks for posting, let's all show our appreciation for this nurse who has embraced the lower carb idea and run with it.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mentioned Catherine in @eggs11's thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/3-month-review-with-diabetes-nurse.143034/ (post 14). I didn't mention her name as I wasn't sure if it would be allowed (i.e. to get people to vote for her) and the Awards had only just been announced. Those who nominated her in the first round, me included, - we had to write about why she should be put forward for the Award - were sworn to secrecy until the five finalists had been chosen. I can tell you that she was absolutely floored and very emotional about being one of the finalists and has been completely overwhelmed by the interest from local media etc. Including doctors and other nurses! So a very big THANK YOU from me for voting for her because she is truly a star, a lovely warm lady who has put so much of herself into helping those patients. So difficult to choose a winner from the wonderful nurses and other health care staff who are also finalists but Catherine's dedication and support for her patients (one of them is a friend of mine and introduced me to her support group which is open to patients from other practices) is exemplary.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
To Vote for Catherine:

Done! Although my DN and GP are very supportive of my low carb approach, neither are pro-active and in fact would only suggest low carb to patients who they feel were able to "stick" to the regime. Maybe that's the next step, telling everyone. I think I'll print off the Diabetes Times article and give it to them the next time I see either of them.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I mentioned Catherine in @eggs11's thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/3-month-review-with-diabetes-nurse.143034/ (post 14). I didn't mention her name as I wasn't sure if it would be allowed (i.e. to get people to vote for her) and the Awards had only just been announced. Those who nominated her in the first round, me included, - we had to write about why she should be put forward for the Award - were sworn to secrecy until the five finalists had been chosen. I can tell you that she was absolutely floored and very emotional about being one of the finalists and has been completely overwhelmed by the interest from local media etc. Including doctors and other nurses! So a very big THANK YOU from me for voting for her because she is truly a star, a lovely warm lady who has put so much of herself into helping those patients. So difficult to choose a winner from the wonderful nurses and other health care staff who are also finalists but Catherine's dedication and support for her patients (one of them is a friend of mine and introduced me to her support group which is open to patients from other practices) is exemplary.
Thank you! :)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is a post most worthy of a big BUMP!

Reactions: dbr10

Biggles2

This is a post most worthy of a big BUMP!

Thanks @Guzzler! It is so important to get the word out. Here is some information about the Royal College of Nursing to give us an idea about their reach and relevance within the nursing profession:

“The Royal College of Nursing is the world’s largest nursing union and professional body. We represent more than 435,000 nurses, student nurses, midwives and health care assistants in the UK and internationally.”

https://www.rcn.org.uk/about-us/what-the-rcn-does

This award matters to nurses as it is about excellence in nursing care and it recognizes the type of nurse we (nurses) all aspire to be. I think that Catherine exemplifies excellence in nursing care. She endorses a newer approach that we on this forum know can be both successful and sustainable – which is a win-win for patients and the wider NHS. Catherine looks at outcomes – her patients’ improved metabolic markers - and at the end of the day those are the only metrics that matter.

Catherine sounds like the practice nurse we would all like to have!

Let’s help get the word out – vote for Catherine!

Reactions: Guzzler